• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Big Photography Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I couldn't resist and did a write-up on the new lens: Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM – Initial Thoughts and Samples

To make a long story short, my conclusion is:

I’m thoroughly impressed with what this little inexpensive lens is capable of in just a short time out. It’s sharp as a tack (just look at the 100% crops!), handles very well and all for a price that’s one fifth (retail-to-retail comparison) of what you’d have to pay for a decent 400 mm lens on full frame. It’s both a bargain and a strong lens in its own right.

In one sentence - This lens is sharp. Here are two of the sample images of a hydrangea:

Full photo:

efs55-250-STM-samples-07.jpg

100% crop:

efs55-250-STM-samples-08.jpg

Like I said - Sharp.

Read the full article for more lens details and plenty of sample images. :)

I've got the 18-135mm version and like it a lot. Your lens would be great on a tracking telescope mount for astrophotography.

This is a shot with my 55-250 IS at ISO100, 187mm, f/5.6, 1/80sec. Even this older model is pretty sharp. Nice hydrangea shot.

IMG_9164.jpg

Hi everyone. Long time no see!

I'm looking to upgrade my 60D to something full-frame. Primarily for nature (birds and animals), landscapes, pets and portrait shots. Has anyone had experience with the 6D and are the 11AF points really a major drawback for moving subjects?

I'm looking to upgrade my 60D to something full-frame. Primarily for nature (birds and animals), landscapes, pets and portrait shots. Has anyone had experience with the 6D and are the 11AF points really a major drawback for moving subjects?

Love my 6D for landscapes, portraits, and indoor sports. I recently shot with a 7D mkII for a couple of weeks, and I would choose it over the 6D for outdoor sports though, because in good light the improved autofocus gives it a bit of an edge. That's not to say the 6D isn't capable, because it certainly is. The drawback isn't really only having 11 AF points, it's only having one cross type. Not an issue if you primarily focus center screen, but becomes a little bit of an issue trying to use the outer focus points. A little slower and a little less accurate. You can still get great pictures, but you will throw more away than with the 7D, in my experience. (It should be noted that I generally don't shoot sports much in the first place, so your mileage may vary). Shooting birds and animals hasn't been an issue for me. However, keep in mind that if you're trying to fill the frame, it's going to take longer (more expensive) glass or a lot of patience, silence, and very slow movements to get close. Even so, you'll watch your subject take off more often than you'll get the pics you would have got with the crop sensor.

To keep this from rambling on too badly, here's my thought at the moment. I wouldn't trade my 6D for anything I can afford right now for shooting landscapes, portraits, or other stills. The 6D blows away my old 60D for anything indoors, sports included. I sometimes wish I still had the crop sensor for shooting animals, but I'm pretty good at stalking them, so I make do. The 7D mkII is probably somewhere in my future for such things though, not having the 60D any more.

Thanks DnB! That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I'm not too worried about having to get closer to subjects. If it gets too bothersome, I'll still have my 60D to fall back on.

I haven't had the chance to use a 6D, but have read about it extensively. Everything DnB said mirrors what I've read. AF system is fine for anything that's not moving fast, and the center point is fine for sports, if a little limiting for composition. The only reason I'd worry for your usage case is birding. You'll lose that 1.6x crop, and combined with the lack of AF points you may find it not ideal for birding compared with some other options, but definitely no worse than the 60D, which has two less AF points.

One thing to consider about AF is that, because of the larger sensor, they are grouped closer to the center of the frame. These are from DP Review -

60D

viewfinder.jpeg

6D

vfinfo.jpeg

Aside from minor AF complaints stipulations (which, again, is not going to be a step down relative to what you're already used to) I have heard nothing but praise for the 6D, and it's a total low light monster. I'd almost take one over my 70D if I could afford the glass. Not quite, because I need the crop and want the AF system/7 FPS...but almost.

I wouldn't trade my 6D for anything. It's extremely versatile and is, in my opinion, the best value Canon body on the market. I use it for everything, but it's particularly good for night shooting and other low light stuff, due to it's ridiculously good high ISO performance. It is my go to body for all wide work. For distant and potentially moving subjects such as waterfowl, songbirds and birds of prey, etc. I switch over to my 70D which has actually has an great autofocus system and does an impressive job of rapid-fire shooting while tracking a moving target. Just as good if not better than a 7D, but I've never used a 7DmII so not sure there. Otherwise, what @Dark_n_Beyond said above pretty much sums it up, I'd say.

Just got some free time so I thought I would post a small pic. Seems last month for a good month for me. My new Asus Q534U for photoshop and what lens is that, oh yea the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 Art. The laptop is a freakin' beast, Intel i7-6500U, 16gig memory, 512SSD with 2tb for back-ups, Nvidia GTX 950M, 4k res. For the lens so far I've only been able to use it a few times, but so far I'm loving it.

20160812_175430 resized.jpg

Let me know how you like that Sigma. Definitely loving mine, but I do get a little softness at the left edge.
resize.jpg

So far I am loving this lens with a passion. First photo was taken 5 days after I got the camera. Not the sharpest photo, but really shows the bokeh this lens can do. I love how the background and foreground is blown out in a creamy way. This was my first time with the lens and learnt I needed a tripod, since it doesn't have O/S. Second one was taken last weekend at the county fair's rodeo. The white you see on the bulls chest, is slobber. I was shocked it was able to capture that, due to the distance I was from the bull.

DC2_8659 censored resized.jpg

DC2_8832 resize.jpg

DSLR #2 has arrived. Going from the D5100 to this is a major step up, but it already feels right. It is much more comfortable to hold for me, and lighter than I thought it would be.

It's a factory refurb - $2233.69 CAD from Henry's for everything in this shot. Supposedly has under 1k shots on it - will play with it and confirm as soon as the battery is fully charged. Looks absolutely brand new... I could not be more pleased. Showed up the day after my birthday, too.

Next... new lenses, extra batteries, yet another new tripod, and an SMDV wireless remote. Maybe a flash or two. Or some wireless flash triggers instead of the SMDV.

DSC_9919.jpg

Happy Birthday Wolf and congrats on your new hardware. Already thinking about it and can't wait for your storm shots of spring 2017 with that D800.

Back