• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The brightness changes and flashes. How do I fix it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calculusaurus

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19" two-tone. Sometimes I get this brightness flickering problem. This problem occurs about 50% of the time its on, and the other 50% of the time it works perfectly. When this problem occurs, the screen becomes generally brighter and blurrier. The brightness begins to change at maybe 5-10 times per second. It randomly pulsates. So when I look at a black screen, it flashes and pulsates to different shades of grey. Has anyone heard of this problem occuring?

Extra info:
-I've been using this monitor for 1.5 months. The problem first started occuring a week ago. Now it occurs very often, whereas a week ago it occured rarely.
-The monitor shuts off after 15 minutes of being idle (WinXP setting), yet I use the computer very frequently, so it's usually on.
-All of the possible fixes I could think of don't work; these include: changing the resolution, changing the refresh rate, changing every possible setting in the monitor menu (the menu brought up by pressing the buttons on the monitor's front panel), and checking samsung.com for any solution or hint to this problem.

Thanks for the help.

OP
C

Calculusaurus

Hi Calculusaurus.

I see you have a very serious problem, but I may be able to help. First of all, there is a very important thing you should know: high end video cards such as your 9800 beauty require a 1.0V video input level. If you have been using a 0.7V video input level, shame on you. Switching to 1.0V is the first step to solving your atrocious problem. To do this, simply open your OSD, or menu, by clicking the "menu" button on your lovely Samsung monitor (nice monitor, by the way). Find the video input level option and voila.

However, this will not solve the flickering. Your subwoofer is the problem here. Simply remove your speaker power cord from the powerstrip that its sharing with your other computer components, including the monitor. Move the subwoofer to the other side of the room, and plug it in there. Moving the subwoofer away, and moving it to a different power outlet, should ease your problem. Although you may still notice a slight brightness flickering, it's much less irritating than what you had before.

Hope that helps!

OP
C

Calculusaurus

Thanks for the reply. Your solution worked! As you said, I still notice a slight flickering, but it's not nearly as bad, and my screen is no longer blurry... wait.. what's this...

oh ****, the flickering returned.

OP
C

Calculusaurus

Calm down bud. Just take everything electronic in your room and throw and throw it out the window (except the monitor of course)! This will prevent any electrical or static interference.

OP
C

Calculusaurus

For those of you bored enough to follow this thread: I'm RMAing my monitor. I'll attempt to return it to Fry's first, then I'll RMA it if Fry's doesn't take it.

I either damaged my monitor or I just had bad luck by getting a faulty one. If the former, I did so by either
-having 5 power cords in the powerstrip at one time (one for the monitor)
-leaving one satellite speaker on the top of the monitor
-having the subwoofer below the desk, thus being close to the monitor
-leaving the video input level at 0.7V instead of 1.0V for over a month

12am

My old crt did that, only it was 4 years old. Like you have already done rma that puppy. I've heard some bad things about the 995DF, if you could get a diffrent model from nec or viewsonic, I'd highly reccomend doing so.

OP
C

Calculusaurus

I haven't RMAd it yet for one simple reason: I'm going on a month-long vacation in a few days, so trying to handle an RMA would be difficult. I emailed Samsung tech support and the reply said that my problem was definitely a sign of a faulty monitor (or, at least, a monitor that aged too quickly). Therefore, I have to dish out $40 to send it for RMA to get another 955df in return.

Other than this problem I'm having, the 955df has been great. The reason why I bought it is because of all the rave reviews I've read about it (keep in mind it's on the lower end of the pricing scale for 19" monitors). Anyway, a second 955df would be fine as long as it works.

Oh, and I'm also accepting donations so I can buy and LCD, thanks.