• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"The Combination"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoJoMoJo

Currently and in the past I have always run AMD systems which below sig shows my current setup. I am debateing now to do another upgrade to the state of the art intel processor/board/memory. What is the no holds bar fastest board, cpu, memory combinations. Seeing recently post on 800ddr I would want to go that route if someone could shine some light to a new to intel guy. I take it the boards from abit ect.... would still be able to increase the boards fsb ect.... This will be a water cooled system. Thanks in advance.

OP
JoJoMoJo

JoJoMoJo

Let me also add im looking for what memory to get all overclocking in mind if you will.

batboy

Senior Moment
CPU = 2.4C
Mobo = Abit IC7 or Asus P4C800
RAM is more tricky, but any good quality PC3500 should work.

NoMeD

People are recomending the 2.4c over most because it has the most headroom to overclock with. Check out the Intel processor part of this forum and you'll see someone who just got their 2.4c up to and above 3.6 but I'm too lazy to look who it was. If you're not worried about money you can always go the 2.6c or 2.8c routes but I personally haven't seen anyone take one of those procs as high as the 2.4c is going.

As for the mobos you're going to get differing answers from absolutely everyone here. There are asus lovers and there are abit lovers. I'm going to recommend the IC7 at this point frankly because I've hear nothing but good things about it. Very overclock friendly and very stable and at a price you just can't beat. The p4c800 deluxe is an excellent motherboard as well but I can't justify spending the extra money for the things that I won't ever be using or needing like the firewire connections and the onboard lan.

You're just gonna have to decide for yourself on the motherboards. Some people like myself go for the one that they think looks best. Black > crap brown

OP
JoJoMoJo

JoJoMoJo

Now excuse the next question regarding the different types of ram available for intel like rambus. I take it that everyone goes the ddr route over rambus? Last question...... is this 800ddr chip the 200fsb chip the same one your refering to 2.4? Currently I am running a 200fsb amd system and would want to stay with that fsb at least ......of course I can see the benefits of haveing the increased memory bandwidth also. Just trying to get an understanding on intel systems so excuse the basic questions or educated ones.

gouda96

wow

wow... that is just so wrong on so many levels... lol
i can answer the first question, but the second is just so incorrect and confusing that my answer would be undoubtedly incorrect, i am sorry.

anyway, on to that, well... question...rambus is dead. All of the parts and boards we are talking about will only accept ddr, there are different speeds and makers. I would suggest pc3200 and up, and the company could be any reputable one(geil, corsair, twinmos, samsung, kingston, ocz).

ok... what the heck i will try for that second thing..."this 800ddr" is not ddr. the ddr would be ddr 400, or 200 fsb. the 2.4 refers to the processor or the "chip". ddr is not a chip, it is a stick of chips. oh and if you meant ddr800 that would be 400 fsb which you would have to overclock higher than any man has done before to get that high. the 800 is the bus speed, this is an upgrade from the previous 533 on intel systems, but the system still runs at 200fsb by default...

I am not sure if i answered your "question". I am not sure what i did (my head is about to explode)... I hoped i helped you, because i know that just hurt me.

excuse me i have to go take a nap.

OP
JoJoMoJo

JoJoMoJo

lol sorry about that i reread my post and my own head spun also. Guess what I was referring to is the 2.4c is a 200fsb chip for 4x200 for 800mhz bus.