• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The copper legs on CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leo Optimus

I didn't know where to put this post since there was no Evergreen cpu area.
Well anyways I have a Evergreen MxPro 200 on a old computer and I didn't notice that there was a wire stuck into it. I had cleaned the case the other day so it was on its side. When I turned it on its stand I didn't check until later. I stopped the computer and looked into the case. I saw a wire stuck into the fan's path and I touched the heatsink. MAN was it HOT!! I was like oh crap!! It's cooking! I smelled some funny stuff, so I decided to take it out of the motherboard to cool. I took some paper to hold it and I could feel the heat searing through. After I let it cool I looked on the copper legs 2 of them were missing. I thought I had burned them off so I checked the motherboard for pieces of it, nothing there. I am not sure if the CPU is suppose to be like that I got it a long time ago. So my question is if a couple legs are gone can you still use the CPU? and if you can will you lose performance?

rivercom9

Copper legs? Do you ahve any pics of the victim so that I can get an idea of what you are talking about cause I cant picture what it is that you are talking about.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
intel section would probly be the bst place for a question like that (runs on an INTEL board does it not?)

About the missing pins.... Is it a spectra???? as at work we have a 233 evergreen upgrade chip laying around and I noticed it was missing some pins aswell.... after reading your post about missing pins, I think it MAY be safe to say that is normal, give it a try and let us all know.