• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The FOP38 and PEP66 are NOT noisy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sleddog

I like to address a popular misconception, namely that the Alpha PEP66 and GlobalWin FOP38 are noisy. I raise this point because newcomers looking for a better cooling solution might shy away from these excellent products because of excessive noise.

The PEP66 and FOP38 are NOT noisy. You could put a hundred of each in a dead-quiet room and not raise the decibal level by 1.

The PEP66 and FOP38 are heatsinks: passive metal objects that do not create noise (or at least any noise audible to the human ear).

What *does* create noise is the fan attached to the heatsink. A variety of fans is available from different manufacturers (not the manufacturer of the heatsink). Fans are rated in cfm (cubic feet per minute). The higher the cfm, the higher the cooling efficiency -- and generally the higher the noise level.

The PEP66 and FOP38 are high-performance heatsinks. To maximize this performance vendors often bundle them with the infamous, noisy Delta black label fan -- one of the highest cfm 60mm fans available.

But a good vendor will give you a choice when you purchase a PEP or FOP. The trick is to get a fan that is strong enough but at the same time quiet enough to live with.

My solutions:

Celeron 600@900: PEP66 with Sunon 23 cfm. This Sunon gives decent airflow and is quiet. Max cpu temp with Seti or Prime95 is 30-32C, with absolute max of 35C (CpuBurn). One 80mm intake bottom front, one 80mm exhaust top rear, room temp 20-23C.

Duron: PAL6035 with Delta black label wire to 7v/12v toggle. 7v setting is reasonable quiet but still efficient cooling-wise (max cpu temp with Seti or Prime95 is 35-38C, with absolute max of 41C (CpuBurn). One 80mm intake bottom front, one 80mm exhaust top rear, room temp 17-20C. The full-speed setting (12v) is there if I need it. I recommend this approach to *anyone* using the Delta black label fan. It is not difficult to do.

Good point. I have a YStech 27CFM fan on my PAL6035. I have 3 Delta 38's in my "lab", I tried one on the PAL6035 for a day. It was loud enough to cause a severe headache. No joke folks, these things literally sound like a hair dryer! Go with the Sunon 23.5CFM fan, or YStech 27CFM if you need a bit more umph than the Sunon has.

I don't see why everyone is badmouthing the delta, its not THAT loud, I just got my computer setup 2 days ago and I'm used to it already. Just turn the speakers up louder (tough that could be a problem if I try and watch some pr0n discretely... ;-) )

No one seemed to mention doing the 80mm "Fandapter." (see front page) Most good 80 MM fans move just as much air (or more) than a 60 MM fan and do it at a much lower RPM and hence lower noise level.

SickBoy

ReNeG@dE (Feb 09, 2001 10:39 a.m.):
I don't see why everyone is badmouthing the delta, its not THAT loud, I just got my computer setup 2 days ago and I'm used to it already. Just turn the speakers up louder (tough that could be a problem if I try and watch some pr0n discretely... ;-) )

I'm not badmouthing the Delta, merely stating the facts. I use a Delta --it's a terrific fan. But mine is on a 7v/12v toggle.

SickBoy (Feb 11, 2001 12:05 a.m.):
No one seemed to mention doing the 80mm "Fandapter." (see front page) Most good 80 MM fans move just as much air (or more) than a 60 MM fan and do it at a much lower RPM and hence lower noise level.

SickBoy

I've done it and posted about it in this forum. There is a problem I haven't yet figured out. It worked fine to begin, but after a period of time temps climb to a level maybe 3-4C higher than with the Delta. I suspect it's either (a) the 80mm fan I'm using isn't strong enough (it comes from a psu) or (b) the fan is creating vibration than is enhanced by the large shroud and which affects the heatsink-cpu contact.

Back