• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HTPC Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ic3d

Disabled
I thought I could use one of these, to make it more convenient for me "entertainment wise".

I have some hardware laying around from my previous computer.

Motherboard
-ASUS P4P800-VM (died) shipping to ASUS on the 27th to get RMA.
CPU
-Intel Pentium 4 2.8E
RAM
-1GB Stick of PC3200
Video Card
-NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600 256MB AGP w/TV-OUT
Hard Drives
-40GB Western Digital 2MB 7200RPM "Will upgrade to 80GB later"
-40GB Maxtor 2MB 7200RPM "Will upgrade to 160GB later"
Audio
-On-board for now "5.1"
Network
-On-Board Intel Pro 10/100
PSU
-450Watt Generic

Also have a budget for extras of about $100 CDN "not much, but something". That is after the TV Tuner & 7" Touch Screen LCD.

I have yet to purchase a PCI TV tuner card, I am shopping around atm, also open to suggestions. This wont be one of those rush builds, probably have it done in about 2-3 Months, I dont have to much spare time with work & family. So it gets done when it gets done.

As for the case, I didnt really wanan shell any cash out for something speical since its probably going to get modded anyways so I dropped buy a few of the local computer stores untill I found something I liked "will post some pics later". It is an old "'94-'95 or so" "VTECH Platinum NRV Series".

Its th type where the monitor used to sit on top of it. it's quite small, I've seen smaller, but this will suit my needs... Measurements are...

Height = 5 and 6/8s of an inch.
Width = 15 and a half inches.
Depth = 15 and a half inches.

It has one floppy drive "which will be removed", one CD-ROM drive"also will be removed and replaced with DVD Writter etc.." and one of those... Sound drive things... you know it goes into the 5 1/2 drive bay, has speakers and volume...Anyway that will be removed as well. It also has one unfilled floppy bay.

My plans are to eventually intergrate a Touch Screen LCD onto the front of the case and it'll look something like this...
htpc4qr.jpg

I will paint it as well once nearing completion, I wouldnt like any windows or LED though, but any other non-bling suggestions are welcome so feel free.

Thanks for taking a look.

-Ic3d

Last edited:
Here are a few pics, sorry for the low quality, but someone is borrowing my digital camera, so I had to use the QC4000.

picture4edt6bz.jpg

Where I plan to put the Touch screen LCD, remove the floppy drive, that other drive & where I plan to put a case badge :)

picture5edt9ii.jpg

In this picture it shows where I will put the HDDS "when inspecting the PSU to see if I could turn it on its side I discovered that it was on a shelf, I had a floppy drive near and slid it in to see if it would fit and it did, so that means there is just enoguh from in it below the pSU for two HDDS." And where I will put the I/O sheild on the left :) Some cutting or dremmeling will be involved.

picture6edt6af.jpg

Just showing how much space there wil lbe once the floppy drive is removed.

Now thats done I will remove the hardware :) Will post back when that is done.

Here is a picture from the rear "stripped down to the bone".
copy1ofpicture45nt.jpg

And here is one from the front "nakie ;)"...
copy1ofpicture67mr.jpg

All right... I've installed the two ATA HDDs...
picture76on.jpg

And the PSU... Dosent look to bad at all...
picture84ut.jpg

*note* these will be removed so I can dremmel out the place for the I/O sheild, they are just to give you an idea of how things will look later on, I hope you enjoyed.

-Ic3d

One last thing before I goto bed, there is going to be alot of work going into this case, I need places to put screws in to hold the mobo down "not hard to do". I will also need to cut a few slots in the mobo tray so the AGP & PCI cards and lock in properly. And cut some of that metal out so I can mount the I/O sheild...

Well not ALOT of work, but a bit, it should be fun... After all the cutting and that stuff is done will come paint... I havent really chosen a color yet.

I've been looking around, I thinkI might get the ATI TV-Wonder Pro with Remote. Comments ?

stay away from the ati all in wonder. Keep your geforce 6600 and get something made by haupage. They are great quality. If you know linux I would suggest going with MythTV since it the best PVR system accepted by all PVR enthusiast. If you dont know linux or are scared of it I would suggest Sage TV over WMC. It also works much better. The haupage card will give you excellent quality in both linux and windows based PVR's.

Also look into more hardrive storage. You will eat through hardrives like nuts. Also a raid controller will be nice. Most of the PVR programs run your scheduling and recordings in a database which makes life 100 times easier having it all on "1" hardrive. If not you will most likely have to do a bunch of weird stuff which I wont get into right now unless you cant afford doing that.

I also recomand linux for this as you can set all yourhardrives up as an LVM in large drive, kinda like a software raid. It works very well and later on when you decide to buy more hardrives you can add new hardrives to the lvm without destroying your partitions unlike a hardware based raid. Linux is also much faster with the transcoding. When you record a program you will have to transcode all your data to another format, usually mpeg. Count on 1 gig an hour plus space for your programs.

You can get buy with 80 gigs but 120 is usually most sufficient (My friend has closer to 600 but he goes off the deep end.)

Also you may want to look into getting two tv cards. With one tv card you can only watch a channel OR record a program. You cant do both. You can with two though. So I would look into this later on down the road.

Again I heavily suggest MythTV. It handles your databases much better and linux will use fewer system resources to make transcoding and such much much faster. MythTV will not only handle your recorded broadcasts but will handle your mp3 database, weather, video games and emulators and such and much much more. It is also supringly easy to set up mythtv. You can look into wilsonnet and his guide for setting up mythtv. It makes life very easy. Most distros today like gentoo, mandrake, and fedora already have the mythtv builds in the repositories so all you have to do is install and configure your distro, bring in mythv, and configure mythtv. It's not as bad as what people make it sound.

Also you will want to look at a 3rd party remote for your computer to control it with as using a keyboard and mouse gets old on a PVR. The cheapist and nicest way to do it is find an extra tv remote or such you have laying around your house or go buy a nice cheap universal one. Look online on how to build an IR recieve (It's extremely easy). And use a program in linux (or windows derivitive) called lirc. This will code ANY ir signal to a mapped keyboard command so your remote is also highly custamizable.

Great suggestions, I'll look a little closer into Hauppage before imake up my mind, and I think I'll just go with either ONE 200GB hdd or 250 or 300GB, I'll see what I can ge the best deal on.

I dont I'll be going Linux I do know it i've had it installed a few times, but I just like to convenience of windows. Thanks for the suggestions and great post.

Got a few more pics for today "got my digital camera back...for now :p".

Here is a side shot of the HDDs/PSU...
1edt0ej.jpg

Green marker dots where holes need to be drilled so I can hold the mobo down :)
2edt1xw.jpg

Shot looking down into case to see the fit of the mobo "sorry for the blurryness", looks tight, but it fits PERFECT.
3edt6km.jpg

Behind the mspainting is a mark for me to cut the metal away so I can fit the I/O sheild into place.
4edt1me.jpg

And the last for now, me holding the I/O sheild in place to see how it fits/looks...
5edt4ix.jpg

Oh... I almost for got to show the one that you can see the clearence inbetween the HDF and PSU.
6edt7ts.jpg

yes I plan on dusting everything as well haha, Wouldnt want to leave them the way they are.

I'm back with a few ideas and a few pictures...

I managed to salvage this from an old Compaq mATX tower.
7edt7ch.jpg

The fit, Inorder to use that peice I would have to take the rivets out of the HDD shelf "8 in total, 2 already removed", drill a few more holes over to the left a bit more, then screw it in there, then cut the metal out to fit that peice in. Not only that but just below where the DVD-rom drive bay is I would have to cut a chnuck out of there so the MOBO will come over the extra inch.
8edt2av.jpg

Anyways I dont have my tools atm, should have them this week sometime "people borrow everything haha", but I'll do what I can for now, may post back later.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just seems liek to much work to move the hdds over and then miught have to take a chunck outta the PSU...

I think I'll just try and make a custom plate to slide right inthere that has the slots for the cards and then the I/O's as well. Should be much less work, and less of a headache.

here is the idea.
plate2bh.jpg

I think I'll go with this idea, since if I were to do it the other way around I wouldnt be able to fit anyone of my fans there, so 80mm is it :)

I'll just use part of an old case to cut that piece out of :)

what cooling have you planned for the HDD's? stacked that close together, just below the PSU, there is going to be some serious heat in that area!

otherwise, congrats! it's coming along quite nicely!

Just air cooling, I may have a fan i nthere some where, the temps of the hdds are about 40 for the lower one and 48 for the upper "on a load".

On the other hand the PSUs temp is pretty low, dont have a sensor, but it's usally cool to the touch, I'll so how it goes though once everything is up and running.

So when I get my tools back I'll cut this out and see how it fits "note, its a rough copy"...
dscf00605wk.jpg

I'm thinking I might have to give up a PCI slot, we'll see. "I forgot to draw in the spot for the fan".

i've made up my mind on one thing, I'll be moving the HDD rack over the left as far as it'll go since that wont hurt anything "though I did remove one of the supports, but once the hdd rack is over to the left it'll be adding the support that was there before, take a look..

dscf0061edt8ee.jpg

the support used to be inbetween the hdd rack and the left side.

Also one of the main reasons for me moving it over was in case i had to goto plan B I would through in an mATX mobo tray, but it wouldnt fit normall so on the top of the pic I would have to cut that piece out so it/the mobo would fit properly.

"note:"

in order to move it over I will have to remove the 6 remaining rivets "pita"... cant do so atm, because the g/f & baby are having a nap and the bedroom is just above where I am in the basment haha so no noise :(

Ok, I cant make up my mind haha... I threw in they old thing to check it out to see how it fits with an AGP card in an a PCI card... Not to bad though the are kinda pushing it.... I drew some marks on where I'll try and cut to see how the fit is tommorow afternoon sometime when I get my tools...

99% of my problem is me having to use the PS2 keyboard input I have a USB mouse, If I hard a USB keyboard it would be no problem...

dscf0062edt6ft.jpg

Back