• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THE IWILL KK266 SUCKS!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

datchis

I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread so far that the SBLive problem is not isolated to the Iwill board but any KT board that uses the Via chipset. Creative has finally admitted to the problem. Use the onboard sound until someone comes up with a fix for the card. It's really not that bad.

An OEM system doesn't guarantee lack of conflicts. One of my co-workers is raving mad at work because his store bought Micron contstantly freezes up in 3D games. It has a GeForce and WinME which apparently have some compatibility issues with each other. No system is really trouble free or guaranteed to work with every piece of hardware made on the planet. People who have wonderful experiences with hardware don't tend to post as often as people with bad & so if you check other mobo manufacturer's forums, you will see the same type of "help me" posts. I have a KK266-R and have found it to be the nicest mobo I have ever put into my box. RMA the board and try another to see if that works. As for the CD-ROM.... you disabled DMA, right?

-d

I've noticed that SBLive's have more conflicts with IRQs, and are such resource hogs, that they can be a problem on any board, with any CPU, and any chipset. They quite often take a lot of playing with to set up properly, with no fault to the motherboard.

I have the iwll266r with a sblive never had a problem yet I am feelin greally lucky with my mobo it has not 1 thing wrong with it yet rev1.1

PimpDaddy (Apr 10, 2001 12:03 p.m.):
I have the iwll266r with a sblive never had a problem yet I am feelin greally lucky with my mobo it has not 1 thing wrong with it yet rev1.1

aye same here bro. no probs to speak of (yet) :)

Um...hello everyone. I also don't have a problem with my SBLive and Iwill KK266 Rev 1.1. I followed what someone wrote(forgot where it was from) and installed the SB before my other hardware so it could take whatever IRQ's it needed. So far so good. "Mike's friend"'s computer is also working fine now. He took out his SBLive. By the way, his Iwill KK266 MB is a Rev 1.2. Don't know if this has anything to do with it.

oops. i forgot my iwill screwed up the irq's on install and i had to change the irq's but i don't consider that a bug as much as a setup condition. with all the new devices and stuff its only natural that the irq's are gonna get overloaded. I think the plug and play days are over :)

Kriegster (Apr 10, 2001 06:24 p.m.):
oops. i forgot my iwill screwed up the irq's on install and i had to change the irq's but i don't consider that a bug as much as a setup condition. with all the new devices and stuff its only natural that the irq's are gonna get overloaded. I think the plug and play days are over :)

What specifically did you have to do regarding your IRQ's? And are you sure it was Iwill's board that screwed up?

well i put in my geforce2 agp video card, sb live pci card, and network pci card. The iwill in its infinate wisdom decided to put them all on the same irq along with pci steering. Needless to say my pc would not run under load for more than 30 mins before it would either lock up or reboot itself. Once I figured out what happened I shufled the devices onto different irq's until no IRQ's had more than 2 devices each, and only 1 of the 2 were a major device. Now I can run my pc for days without a crash :) I'm not saying this is a bug or a problem specific to Iwill alone. I guess there are just too many devices now and IRQ sharing needs some improvements to what it will assign to which port and when it should put something elsewhere because it could cause a conflict :) whew that was long winded ???

Kriegster (Apr 11, 2001 04:02 p.m.):
well i put in my geforce2 agp video card, sb live pci card, and network pci card. The iwill in its infinate wisdom decided to put them all on the same irq along with pci steering. Needless to say my pc would not run under load for more than 30 mins before it would either lock up or reboot itself. Once I figured out what happened I shufled the devices onto different irq's until no IRQ's had more than 2 devices each, and only 1 of the 2 were a major device. Now I can run my pc for days without a crash :) I'm not saying this is a bug or a problem specific to Iwill alone. I guess there are just too many devices now and IRQ sharing needs some improvements to what it will assign to which port and when it should put something elsewhere because it could cause a conflict :) whew that was long winded ???

I have a VIA board, an FIC-
I'm think you may have just solved a little mystery of my own - I didn't want to ask the group such a general question as "Why is my system crashing at odd times?" so I've been just reading every thing I have time for, and you may have hit it on the head for me. I can't wait to get home and check this. Thanks I'll let you know. If your solution works for my problem, I'll buy you a beer.
-Taylor

I think the newer plug and play O/S's are more to blame for IRQ stacking than the mobo's ,,you will get 2 differtent results setting up 98 and 2000.
as for the SB live and KK266, the onboard sound is prolly the best around and is hardware based so it doesnt drag down your frame rate ,supports EAX and A3D and is 4.1 surround compliant ,,I offed my SBlive as soon as I tried it out !!

Back