• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Legend Of Borging...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

Where art thou weirdest name come from?

What iseth thy reason to summon such a name?

Must the demon of the "Borg" come hither from yon Star Trek to createth thy name?

Must we "assimilate" thy humans to morph them into our own?

(Thy "Borg" of Star Trek shall fold for team 32 using thy supercomputers in yon big flying Borg-Cubes!)

(In English: Where did the name "borging" come from for putting folding onto people's computers? I was under the impression it was like Star Trek where the Borg assimilate humans into their own kind.)

Yes exactly on the same path except we 'assimilate CPU's' into our command to help rid disease. Simple really. I believe Flixotide may have coined the term when he called WEDO the 'Borger from hell', lol.

I believe it came from Flixotide, a fellow folder, after deciding that I was a rampaging borg monster running through the streets of Los Angeles in search of wasted cpu cycles.

He called me the "Borger From Hell" and thus, 'borging' came into being.

Borg on,

Wedo

xsquared_uk said:
So out of interest Wedo, how many machines do you reckon you've borged in your time...?
Not as many as me :D If you look Here, you can see he has 30 CPU's active right now. If you look Here, you can see that I currently have 47.... mwuhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Good Job Nikhsub1 and Wedo.

So far many people on this site I have talked to are hard core against "Borging". I cannot think of a better cause to help out than Folding@Home. I thank you both for borging for the greater good regardless of what others think or want you to do. Wasted CPU cycles that could be used to help cure diseases, what an idea. I am going to find a way to get as close to as many computers as you guys as soon as I get more familiar with how the program itself works.

what about me! whta about me! ive borged 8 comps in the past 2 days!! all from different people i know too! watch out wedo and nikhsub1 !! im comin to get you!! :)

TommyHolly said:
Good Job Nikhsub1 and Wedo.

So far many people on this site I have talked to are hard core against "Borging". I cannot think of a better cause to help out than Folding@Home. I thank you both for borging for the greater good regardless of what others think or want you to do. Wasted CPU cycles that could be used to help cure diseases, what an idea. I am going to find a way to get as close to as many computers as you guys as soon as I get more familiar with how the program itself works.
When we (at least Wedo and I) refer to borging, we ALWAYS have permission to do it. We DO NOT condone 'unauthorized borging'. Teh bottom line: ALWAYS GET PERMISSION!

Seeing as I AM the network admin, I hereby give myself permission to borg as many machines as I like! Currently 4 servers and 7 stations, but as I keep saying, hopefully tomorrow 63 more P4's (for this weekend only unfortunately). If only I could do it globally - we have over 600 machines...

PS - anyone at our place hereby has my permission to borg, so long as it's for Team 32! Preferably under my username too, but you can't have everything...!

Even though you are the net-admin, unless the comptuers came OUT OF YOUR MONEY, they are not legally yours, so i still reccomend that you ask for permission....eople have gotten FIRED from there jobs for installing a DC client w/o permission on a business computer

'BUMP

True, but it's a little different at our place - we're an educational establishment, we're pretty relaxed, and it's not like we're potentially stopping a business functioning by doing this - the machines are all clean network builds in open access rooms rather than at someone's desk so it's simple to put them all back as they were on Monday morning. Plus here in the UK it doesn't seem to be such an issue as it is over in the US for some reason.

I know, it's a daft thing to do but I just wanted to see if it would work and also help us catch [H] and the Aussie mob - everything will be back to normal on Monday, don't worry!

Back