• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The LGA 775 not so overclock locked...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

Just read the article about the FSB of the new LGA 775 chips only being "locked" by the north bridge voltage... That was a clever trick for Intel to do but as Ed said "It only removes one of the mines from the minefield..."

OP
arabarabian

arabarabian

I am about to replace my system and I have been looking at getting an LGA 775 and cooling it with a phase change setup. Once DDR2 gets better I think it will have the advantage of the 478.

OP
arabarabian

arabarabian

Well I just got a newsletter from Asetek and it said the got a LGA 775 3.6 Ghz up over 4.2 ghz on their lightspeed system.

Kunaak

25% overclocks is still really small.

for a 2.8 thats only 700 mhz max.
if your running a vapochill or something, thats pretty damn low.
for air I guess that would be ok...

but still not much to look forward too.
gone are the days when you cound get a 2.4C to 3.9 ghz stable in a vapochill with a P4 I guess....

Imperial

Disabled
Kunaak said:
25% overclocks is still really small.

for a 2.8 thats only 700 mhz max.
if your running a vapochill or something, thats pretty damn low.
for air I guess that would be ok...

but still not much to look forward too.
gone are the days when you cound get a 2.4C to 3.9 ghz stable in a vapochill with a P4 I guess....

3.9 Ghz is well over 300 fsb which means most boards would bug out. I don't recall that happening on a regular basis.