• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Mobo is dying ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hi guys, a couple of run down on this PC before I get started, It's a Dell Inspiron 545 Desktop PC, it's about 7 Years old now, no OC nothing.

So today when my father was turning on his PC, at first it took like forever to load....when it reaches the Welcome screen it just frozen there.
So I restarted the PC, after that things got worst....the PC tend to boot up and turn off it self, least 2 - 3 times, then it finally only boots up, but there was no picture on the monitor at all, not even during the BIOS section, just blank, but I can hear the background music booting up, it reaches the Desktop if not mistaken....
Even so there was no picture at all, GPU was running, the screen is just blank and monitor is on " stand by " the light just keeps blinking ( Samsung monitor ) it doesn't have an error message like " no signal "

So I have to repeatedly hard reset the PC a couple times and finally at some point, finally there was picture when starting up the PC, even able to see BIOS etc and it reaches desktop just fine at normal sped at it should.
My dad told me this happened a couple times before, and the same thing he did to get the PC running.

So from my experience and knowledge goes, is the Mobo dying ?? It feels that way...
The PSU and GPU has been swapped out before too, but it was couple months ago, so it's not that old, sort of, it's about 1 - 2 Years old but not 7 Years. ( GPU maybe 3 - 4 Years )
And it's a Seasonic S12II and HD 5830

I wouldn't think with those symptoms it would be the motherboard. I would think video card first. That said, perhaps the PCIe slot went bad. Try swapping the card to another slot, or try testing the card in another PC.

If the system has an onboard GPU, try using that, if possible.

I wouldn't think with those symptoms it would be the motherboard. I would think video card first. That said, perhaps the PCIe slot went bad. Try swapping the card to another slot, or try testing the card in another PC.

If the system has an onboard GPU, try using that, if possible.

That be a big problem

1) Mobo only has 1 PCI-E slot X16 slot....
2) It's a Q8200 Quad Core Duo CPU so.....yeah...

For the part being no picture even booting up till the Desktop, I could agree that being GPU related problem, maybe a bad PCIE slot like you mentioned
But the boot up symptoms is what makes me think it's Mobo, I found someone with this problem, but his was something to do with RAM or something since he did tinker around with his PC, his way of explaining is better, maybe I should re-phrase. Here it is about the boot up symptoms

The power is turned on at the wall and on the psu, the orange stdby LED on the mobo is illuminated but the system is 'off'.
I hit the power button on the case or on the mobo itself
I hear the relay (?) in the psu closing
The case light comes on and the mobo power light comes on.
The fans start rotating.
Immediately after this the I hear some relay click - the power lights extinguish, the fans stop, the stdby light remains on.
Less than 2 seconds pass and the cycle repeats without any intervention from me.
On the third attempt it boots normally and the machine runs perfectly.

Since it was my dad PC, I don't use it, so I barely have much idea does this happens every time or only on occasion, but during when I was trying to solve the problem earlier just now, it is every time boot up Im facing this weird boot up symptoms, for the blank screen / no pic / basically suspected GPU problems, is lesser Im not entire sure since it was my dad PC, but he did mentioned that it did happened a couple times before.
Also, another new problem has surface....all sudden the PC froze....no BSOD nothing, only thing to do is hard reset....seriously the PC is dying literally lol....but I would still like to narrow down the causes of these problems for knowledge etc

But let's say if it's a bad GPU / PCI-E slot, will it cause this weird boot up ??w

It could, yes.

Well $@# me then lol....this is troublesome...if that case...do you think these solutions work to narrow down the problem ??

http://visihow.com/Determine_if_Your_Motherboard_Is_Dead

Well except the part about using other replacement parts...we are talking about DDR2 RAM....I do have another GPU to test...
I did more Googling around, one person had confirmed his Mobo dying on him, well he did face weird slow down etc, which I too am facing, as I've mentioned the very first time, It took like forever to boot up and upon reaching the Welcome screen the PC froze and again during usage earlier....frozen.

Gonna try those solutions to narrow it down, hope I can get some results.

Try another video card. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. Or, as ED said, try the video card in another pc. No onboard video I assume.

Is the light on the board orange or amber colored (can look very similar)? An amber light indicates a motherboard failure (one of the voltages aren't to spec, if I remember correctly), orange is indeed CPU sleep/powered off state.

If swapping GPUs out doesn't take care of the issue, you could try rebuilding outside of the case to rule out a grounding issue (long shot, but possible). Could also be the power switch itself, though you mentioned that you tried shorting the jumpers as well.

Back