• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the network situation im in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i dont think anyone has a clear idea of waht im trying to do here so i shall explain.

march
i bought the WRT150n that month in hopes to replace the Belkin router that i destroyed (due to overclocking) by "accident":muahaha:

i purchased it because i was trying to make a client bridge that i could use to supply internet to two of the computers in my room instead of using Wireless network adapters.

august

this is where things started to act funky. i was hosting a TF2 server that ran mann vs. machine maps. but after a while, the server would runs weird and lag like crazy sometimes. even doing a direct hookup to the modem didnt help. i ran some speed tests and noticed that i was getting 20mbps down and 1.80mbps up.

i am suppose to be getting 12mbps down and 1.80mbps up.

dad made an assumption and though we just got an upgrade so i went along with it and assumd the p4 server was just throwing a fit about it.

september

this is where things started going down. not only was the connection acting up, but i was not going up to 30-40mbps down and the upload speed would be 5mbps in teh middle, and then drop back down to 1mbps. sometimes even lower. this was also the month i purchased the WRT300n as the next client bridge for my room.

even after a router modem replacement, issues were still there.

october
we called up mediacom after noticing that the internet connection speeds download was at 0.99mbps down and 4mbps up. operator said that not only was our modem going bad, but the whole neighbor hood was affected. my dad then brings home the 50meg test modem and we use it to test the internet speed. the 50meg shows teh correct speeds its at and so he gives it to me to use to host my server and to do my daily tasks on.

it was performing fine until it randomly crapped itself one night. i tell my dad about it and he brings it back to the head end for testing. i dont know if it still works...

november
dad brings home the SBG5101 and i use my WRT150 for main. unfortunately the wrt150n acted weird and dies so i throw it out and use my precious wrt300n instead. i also purchase thValet M20 and wrt350n. the wrt350n comes Bricked on arrival so i have already made plans to send it back.

at this point, the internet connection has not timed out and has performed just fine. itnernet speeds are a quirky still as i sometimse get 3 down and 3 up. but ill leave that up to mediacom to fix. im sure they will be getting angry calls from others soon at this point

Situation

right now, i am looking for a router that has Wireless N, USB, gigabit ethernet ports, and can run dd-wrt. i need this kind of router because i have a usb hard drive that i would like to use for my media (anime, pictures, videos, etc.) while using the servers 250gb drive for storing programs, tools, game files, and backups.

the WRT350n didnt work out for me so i am sending it back. should i successively get a refund ill have around 70 dollars in my bank account.

i do plan on getting the WRT610n but i also found that teh WRT600n is better....too expensive though. im also beging to think that linksys hates third party firmware so im looking at buffalos routers.....too expensive but i feel i got no choice.

any help? i been looking for two weeks already. i dunno if i should try getting another wrt350n....

Last edited:
Off the bat, I'd say part of the issue may be using a bridge on your network could be problematic. This of course depends on the size of your network; a bridge will not reduce the size of the collision domain.
You may have frequent collisions on your network which would cause your network performance to slow dramatically. You might be better served subnetting the network and use the second router
with the second address range. As for the Buffalo routers, I love 'em! I'm running the WZR-HP-G300NH and haven't had issue one with it. It's extremely reliable, supports WRT, and it's fast.

EDIT: As for your connection from your server, bypassing the router directly to the modem, that's worth a phone call to your ISP. You might need/want to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem if you're on a cable connection.

Last edited:
Off the bat, I'd say part of the issue may be using a bridge on your network could be problematic. This of course depends on the size of your network; a bridge will not reduce the size of the collision domain.
You may have frequent collisions on your network which would cause your network performance to slow dramatically. You might be better served subnetting the network and use the second router
with the second address range. As for the Buffalo routers, I love 'em! I'm running the WZR-HP-G300NH and haven't had issue one with it. It's extremely reliable, supports WRT, and it's fast.

EDIT: As for your connection from your server, bypassing the router directly to the modem, that's worth a phone call to your ISP. You might need/want to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem if you're on a cable connection.

the bridge was working just fine before any of this mess happened. all the computer equipment is on the same subnet.

im starting to get the feeling you didnt fully read my posts. we already have been through two docis 3.0 modems.

ill take your suggestion on the buffalo router though.

I don't see anything re: a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in your post. You stated you bypassed the router to test the connection directly to the internet which didn't work either.
Your statement about the whole area having issues leads me to believe there is a problem outside your network that the ISP has to fix. Have you checked the db level
downstream? it shouldn't exceed 10db.

Edit: The SBG5101 is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

Edit: The SBG5101 is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

ahhh you are right. i didnt mention it. well now its known.

the Downstream is

FREQ : 117000000 Hz

SNR 38.7 db

power level is 0.6dBmV

the Upstream is

Channel ID is 2

FREQ : 20000000 Hz

power level is 47.7dBmV

0.6dB is realllllllllly low. Basically, your modem can't hear your ISP. That should be about 6-8 no more than 10dB. This may well be your problem.
Your upstream is correct, just an fyi: mine is at 42dB up and my Signal to Noise Ratio downstream is 38dB with my Power Level at 8dB.

0.6dB is realllllllllly low. Basically, your modem can't hear your ISP. That should be about 6-8 no more than 10dB. This may well be your problem.
Your upstream is correct, just an fyi: mine is at 42dB up and my Signal to Noise Ratio downstream is 38dB with my Power Level at 8dB.

what would be the main cause of this?

what would be the main cause of this?

Could be a bad cable modem, bad hardware on the isp side, or just a bad coax cable. Try the cable modem at a different coax drop in the house(same coax cable to the wall), and if its still bad, try at both locations with a new coax patch cable. this will test your wiring to the demarc.

Could be a bad cable modem, bad hardware on the isp side, or just a bad coax cable. Try the cable modem at a different coax drop in the house(same coax cable to the wall), and if its still bad, try at both locations with a new coax patch cable. this will test your wiring to the demarc.

we ahve already replaced the coax wire around the house and the modem. the modem did drop me out twice yesterday. strange, it was working just fine when we first installed it. we were gettnig whack speeds though.

now today, my family is going to leave me here alone in the house. im going to try changing the modems places (without getting yelled at) and see if the issue is still there. if it is, then its the ISP.

EDIT: just bought the WZR-HP-G300NH on amazon. hope it works!

Last edited:
If the placement of the modem closer to the demarc has the same dB results then it's time to call the ISP. An optional fix is an amplifier at the pole but that depends on what they find to be the issue out at the street.
I'm sure the Buffalo router will serve you well. At some point in the future you might consider running CAT6 from the modem to the router. CAT6 provides better EMI shielding than CAT5e but that's entirely up to you.

If the placement of the modem closer to the demarc has the same dB results then it's time to call the ISP. An optional fix is an amplifier at the pole but that depends on what they find to be the issue out at the street.
I'm sure the Buffalo router will serve you well. At some point in the future you might consider running CAT6 from the modem to the router. CAT6 provides better EMI shielding than CAT5e but that's entirely up to you.

son, i just replaced every cable, restarted every mode, set settings, anything that my hands could work on, already reached it.

now as for calling the ISP, i got my dad in trouble with them after what happened with the forums incident. (http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?topic=9406.msg89539#msg89539)

when MediacomDallas sent that report, they say my post and thought it was my dad posting about this. however, he didnt get fired but the guys at mediacom said to him that if this was me posting about this on the fourms, i need to stop it now.

i was started to become sadened because the issue still wouldnt be resolved all because of some forum post.

kind of like say the "f-word" out of pain and anger when you have a bullet in your knee (thats hard to find) in front of the doctors that suddenly dont want to help you because you said the "f-word".

anyway, i only got a couple long drops so far...but i havent been fully dropped yet. i did forget to mention that one night, when we had teh Netgear CG3000D still delivering internet to us, the download speed dropped down to 0.99mbps and the upload was stuck at four. one of the SNR channels dropped from 40 to 39 and the rest were at 41. the power levels on downstream were all on 0.x (0.4, 0.5, etc)

i dont know if it was fixed because right now the internet is working....but the power levels are still the same.

i also wanted to point out that power level is at -1.1 and SNR is 39.6. strange that the internet connection is still working.

If you have access to your cable modem, enable logging. Same for the router too. In case it would reveal some evidence for discussion re the drops. Configure NTP taken from ISP network, same source on both modem and router.

Another potential reason for dropping connections&disturbance is the power supply for the modem and router. Do the power supplies get a good feed all the time? E.g no domestic appliances&machinery causing sudden power draws/peaks on the same fuse etc.

Last edited:
Son, speaking from my experience with my connection, anything over 10dB will cause my modem to reboot. I was told by my ISP the downstream shouldn't exceed 10dB. I had an issue
where the downstream was mid 20's to mid 30's and had no connection until we put a 9dB resistor on the line into the modem. It sounds like your father works for your cable Co. so maybe
it'd be best to let him straighten it out.

Son, speaking from my experience with my connection, anything over 10dB will cause my modem to reboot. I was told by my ISP the downstream shouldn't exceed 10dB. I had an issue
where the downstream was mid 20's to mid 30's and had no connection until we put a 9dB resistor on the line into the modem. It sounds like your father works for your cable Co. so maybe
it'd be best to let him straighten it out.

but im not going over 10db. im at like -1.1db to 0.

and yes he does work for the cable company.

EDIT: also, he dosent see the issue as he does web surfing only. the only thing that would make him see it is the drop outs.

after some of the internet hell i have been going through and making every one put up with, my dad says "well then it will always be like that. no matter what so you will just have to suck it up and put up with it".

AND IM LIKE

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/rage.png

If what that link states is accurate "Downstream power level (Receive): -15dbmV to +15dbmV" (seems really extreme either + or - to me based on my previous connection issue)
then perhaps I was misinformed by my ISP because it is my understanding that a low reading would cause the same or similar issue IE: dropping or intermittent connection.

I understand your frustration, but I can't offer any more advice as to how to fix your internet connection because I don't believe it has anything to do with your network.
I believe it's an ISP issue that you have no control over and your father would have to be the one to sort it out.

i got the buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router. unofrutnately i cannot access the webgui but i can ping it (gives some time requests out thought).

right now im using the utilities on the cd to diag the router.

the routers poewr light stays on with the wireless blinking when fully boot.

any luck?

EDIT: never mind, i got it working.

Last edited:
Back