• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the new swiftech block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liss

have you people seen the new swiftech block?

i think it looks ugly compared to their old ones...

mcw5000.jpg

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
actually it looks real good!,
/me wonders if they have tried thinner bases:D

SHODAN

I have a problem with this marketing statement:
* outperforms all previously released Swiftech products, with up to 20% cooler processor temperature!
So let me see, if I'm getting 322°K under load, this new Swiftech block can get me down to below 268°K?

Smells like BS to me!

grim

the way the fittings are has to restrict lots of flow cuz the water will be flowing right into the side of the block and it has to make a sharp turn and go the opposite direction it came. i think it would be better if the angled fittings were pointing the other way (top of fitting pointing to the outside of the block).

Cheesy Peas

Re: Re: the new swiftech block

SHODAN said:
I have a problem with this marketing statement:

So let me see, if I'm getting 322°K under load, this new Swiftech block can get me down to below 268°K?

Smells like BS to me!

It does say UPTO :p

edit: oh and its K° :p:p

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Looks like a good block, but I too like the mounting holes. The blocks are so heavy! I also don't like the pressure fittings. Give me 1/2" BRASS barbs!

JokerF15

Mouting holes:

You guys have to realize that AMD will *not* have mounting holes ANYMORE. Which means there is no point on releasing a NEW block with installtion using the 4 Hole System.

AMD will not work with Swiftech or any other Developer and inform them on how their *new* system works. There are some 'ideas' flying around the web, BUT there is no official word. Why would you put so much time and effort into creating a system for 4 hole mounting when it won't be around.

People PLEASE take a look at the whole picture before saying 'I like this, I like that...'

And...This block does outperform the MCW462.

-JokerF15

Cathar

JokerF15 said:
Mouting holes:

You guys have to realize that AMD will *not* have mounting holes ANYMORE. Which means there is no point on releasing a NEW block with installtion using the 4 Hole System.

AMD will not work with Swiftech or any other Developer and inform them on how their *new* system works. There are some 'ideas' flying around the web, BUT there is no official word. Why would you put so much time and effort into creating a system for 4 hole mounting when it won't be around.

Not true.

All AMD has done is made the 4 mounting holes optional for motherboard makers.

All the lower end budget boards are tending to drop the holes. All the higher end "overclocker's favorite" boards are keeping them. Even the upcoming Abit nForce2 board will have the 4 mounting holes at release. Yes, their web-site shows a pre-release board without the 4 holes, but an Abit engineer has confirmed that at release it will have the 4 holes.

Basically all AMD has done is separate the market into budget and enthusiast. The motherboard makers who seriously chase the enthusiast crowd (Asus, Abit, Epox) will continue to offer the 4 mounting hole solutions as long as there is a market demand for them.

Emericana

Well if the Abit Nforce 2 motherboard has significantly better overclockin features then the Epox 8rda+, then i may need to consider purchasing this bad boy.

the abit nforce 2 board does NOT have 4 mounting holes and abit generally makes much better board than epox.

Cathar

Emericana said:
the abit nforce 2 board does NOT have 4 mounting holes and abit generally makes much better board than epox.

(sigh)

It has been confirmed that at release the board will.

The actual statement was that some initial boards won't have the holes, and these are from the first batch. The second batch of Abit NF2 boards will have the 4 mounting holes.

Contact Abit for yourself if you don't believe me and prove it wrong.

SemiCycle

I also hope the holes stay around on the highend boards. It can't cost them that much to design the holes into the boards, can it. I don't think so.