• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Nice Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wuzzapiman

Howbout instead of bashing, everyone say something nice about intel's then AMD's offerings.

Ill start:

AMD64 - excellent gaming performance
P4 - Mature architecture, very overclockable
AXP - Splendid price:performance ratio

Yuriman

AMD64 - Awesome for gamers, great in everything else.
P4 - Crazy overclockable assuming you have money to dump into them.
AXP - Much cheaper than either offering above, and when overclocked, performs on par with them.

What else is there to say? You cant get an accurate comparison without saying both the good and the bad.

Sjaak

Somehow, regardless of its abilities to overclock, (the willamettes sucked) the P4 always seemed a bit more 'solid' to me. Just my opinion.

When i got AMD (1800+ @ 2.3Ghz 2nd rig), that feeling lasted. But the p/p rating of AMD is great :)

fhanderson

I have both AMD XP2500M and P4s. I think on average the really isn't that much difference between them. I think what it comes down to is just dumb luck getting a processor that is a good overclocker. I bought a 2.0 P4 from newegg refurbs for $90, it turned out to be a D1 stepping that runs at 3.1G with a 845PE motherboard and PC 2700 memory. I had a couple of 2500 bartons tha were dogs but the 2500M runs at 2700 but the extra cooling(converting to WC because the tornado is serious noise pollution) negates the cost savings on the processor. My experience with both is just luck.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Intel has the best processor instruction sets in existence. (SSE,SSE2,SSE3. Hyperthreading)

AMD has the most innovative hardware (SOI, On die mem-controller)

j3lly

Sentential said:
Intel has the best processor instruction sets in existence. (SSE,SSE2,SSE3. Hyperthreading)

its "The Nice Thread" ;)
NOT "The Ridiculus Thread" :p

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Intel for their excellent chipset support, and flexible memory controller. The P4C really does have a good architecture.

AMD cuz they pwn j00r face.

Dark Spot

Registered
Intel- for CPUs that overclock exeptionally well
AMD- for many AD's that contain attractive women
... no no.... AMD is good, and always will probably be good for having lower prices

Sjaak

Don't start getting too sentimental :-/

i'd want my ex-girlfriend too, because i love her

When i was young, i 'loved' lollies and sweets etc. When i grew older, i 'loved' holidays, and parties. Further on, i 'loved' playing pc games and toying around with hardware. Then, when i got to know what loving a women ment, that word's meaning changed to me forever.

Last edited:

gustav

PCGUY112887 said:
P4- Expensive if your in a little problem in life called high school ;)

get a job. im in high school and ive got a $2000+ rig. since 6th grade ive been mowing lawns in the summer and shoveling snow in the winter for money. i used the family mower to earn about $600 over one summer, bought a snow blowing and proceeded to make even more over the winter. $200+ from one storm. now im looking into getting a job at Target. i only had to borrow $500 from my mom to build my "Dream" rig.

As for the processors:

First P4s = Teh suck. Willimates blow. Northwoods are much better and provide excellent overclocking on air. A p4 at 3ghz+ will chew up almost anything you throw at it. HT is a nice feature too. The problem is building an Intel rig aint cheap. You also need to select the right ram, whereas with an A-XP system, most any memory will work, those with tight timings being more favorable.

AMD = cheap XP chips provide a great platform for any budget. The mobiles can be overclocked to mid 2ghz range which provides tough competition for Intel at a much lower price. The Athlon 64 as I'm sure many of us know and can agree on is crowned the gaming king as of right now (and probably for the future as well). It also provides excellent competition in other areas of computing as well. The downside is its price. To get all the features (I.E. Dual Channel memory) you have to pay a premium unfourtionatly.

Ian Cody

hmm well, ive always thought people should do put ups...

AMD Athlon XP- Turns into Athlon MP(wish i had money to get dually rig)

Intel P4- what else can you get to run at 3.5ghz +? and x86-64 is right around the corner( i think they release the xeon version soon if not already)

Intel- Blue is a nice color, and chipsets are pretty slick too!

AMD- Green is good, Good processors for cheap is hella good

VIA- Well.... mini-itx stuff is pretty small?

should move this to general hardware so we can expand on the put ups(2 for every 1 put down! :p) thats it, its not what the other people do bad/wrong, but what you do right(or somethin else philisophical... :))

gustav said:
get a job. im in high school and ive got a $2000+ rig. since 6th grade ive been mowing lawns in the summer and shoveling snow in the winter for money. i used the family mower to earn about $600 over one summer, bought a snow blowing and proceeded to make even more over the winter. $200+ from one storm. now im looking into getting a job at Target. i only had to borrow $500 from my mom to build my "Dream" rig.

Yah, working is OK... Or moving to alaska and getting a PFD works good! HAHA! silly "continental" united states...
Seriously though, working when your young is good, you have like 0 bills, so you get to keep almost all the income(- taxes of course, you do pay taxes rihgt?!).

gustav

Ian Cody said:
Yah, working is OK... Or moving to alaska and getting a PFD works good! HAHA! silly "continental" united states...
Seriously though, working when your young is good, you have like 0 bills, so you get to keep almost all the income(- taxes of course, you do pay taxes rihgt?!).

Its getting a little off subject, but if I mow lawns/shovel snow, I don't pay taxes because its not taxable. Its a cash in hand, in and out, done deal kinda thing. Once I get a job at (hopefully) Target, I'll have to pay taxes :)

RubiX³

Sjaak said:
Don't start getting too sentimental :-/

i'd want my ex-girlfriend too, because i love her

When i was young, i 'loved' lollies and sweets etc. When i grew older, i 'loved' holidays, and parties. Further on, i 'loved' playing pc games and toying around with hardware. Then, when i got to know what loving a women ment, that word's meaning changed to me forever.

A 533 Celeron @ 900 isn't sentimental... it's PRIME real estate.

When I grew up, and got to know what 'loving' a woman meant, I realized how much more I loved my machine. :D

Sjaak

RubiX³ said:
A 533 Celeron @ 900 isn't sentimental... it's PRIME real estate.

When I grew up, and got to know what 'loving' a woman meant, I realized how much more I loved my machine. :D

that really made me laugh :p

cellies, especially them older ones, are great to toy with..they can take almost anything you throw at them.

RubiX³

Totally. My old Abit BP6 machine (built when 533s were fresh) ran dual 533s on a shared bus @ 900 on H²0 for 5 years - and it's still running (on air, stock speed). I've REALLY flogged those chips too... lapped, crushed, AS5 overapplied, etc... there's even a very small layer of algae in between the pins (and on the back of the board). They've also survived another BP6 motherboard that caught fire at the ATX connection. Any chip that can take that much abuse earns permanent respect in my book. Thing about Celerons is they always come out when the base technology on their faster parents is mature.

I'll always have a soft spot for all Celerons. :)

Sjaak

RubiX³ said:
Thing about Celerons is they always come out when the base technology on their faster parents is mature.

Well, the prescott celerons are here early...and they seem to do very well. :D