• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OC Forums Way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi Guys,

I`ve popped in and out of various threads whilst searching for OC answers and finally decided to join and get stuck in properly :)

I built a `Gaming` rig for myself finally about 6 months ago cos I was tired of my former PC`s never being able to run `pretty` graphics on my games...in fact some games were just too new and radical that former PC`s simply spat the Disc out and rolled about laughing......
ENOUGH was ENOUGH!!!

I`ve been gaming since `Jet set Willy` on the Sinclair Spectrum 48k and I deserve to play good games DAMMIT!!!!!

Anyway, I thought I`d buy the individual parts and build the best my pocket could justify ;-)

I`ve since `mucked about` with the Bios settings and `fiddled` with my OC station and I have gained some understanding of over clocking..

I have to admit that I still have not really got past multipliers and Base clocks and most of the settings are still on Auto but my rig is running around 4Ghz and seems stable though I have not stress tested yet.

I`m downloading a torrent and typing this at the same time and the temp is 39 centigrade....even in the heat of battle on Call of Duty at full graphics the rig has never overheated...

I hope to learn more from you guys and finally get to grips with my rig fully :)

In case you are wondering: my cpu multiplier is currently at 21... my base clock is 200.. my DDR3 is 1603mhz.. hyperthreading is on.. the cpu is at 4.214Ghz.
Temperature is 38 degrees for cpu as I said earlier and motherboard is 28 degrees ...

I am a `noob` for all intents and purposes and I`m sure at least one person will yell at me in CAPITALS to stress test (lol) but everyone gotta start somewhere ;-)

So, I really look forward to y`all edumacating me in the black art of Bios tweeking and I am glad to link up with like minded people.....

Anyone else remember `jet set willy???` lol

Hi Guys,

I`ve popped in and out of various threads whilst searching for OC answers and finally decided to join and get stuck in properly :)

I built a `Gaming` rig for myself finally about 6 months ago cos I was tired of my former PC`s never being able to run `pretty` graphics on my games...in fact some games were just too new and radical that former PC`s simply spat the Disc out and rolled about laughing......
ENOUGH was ENOUGH!!!

I`ve been gaming since `Jet set Willy` on the Sinclair Spectrum 48k and I deserve to play good games DAMMIT!!!!!

Anyway, I thought I`d buy the individual parts and build the best my pocket could justify ;-)

I`ve since `mucked about` with the Bios settings and `fiddled` with my OC station and I have gained some understanding of over clocking..

I have to admit that I still have not really got past multipliers and Base clocks and most of the settings are still on Auto but my rig is running around 4Ghz and seems stable though I have not stress tested yet.

I`m downloading a torrent and typing this at the same time and the temp is 39 centigrade....even in the heat of battle on Call of Duty at full graphics the rig has never overheated...

I hope to learn more from you guys and finally get to grips with my rig fully :)

In case you are wondering: my cpu multiplier is currently at 21... my base clock is 200.. my DDR3 is 1603mhz.. hyperthreading is on.. the cpu is at 4.214Ghz.
Temperature is 38 degrees for cpu as I said earlier and motherboard is 28 degrees ...

I am a `noob` for all intents and purposes and I`m sure at least one person will yell at me in CAPITALS to stress test (lol) but everyone gotta start somewhere ;-)

So, I really look forward to y`all edumacating me in the black art of Bios tweeking and I am glad to link up with like minded people.....

Anyone else remember `jet set willy???` lol

What are your full system spec's???
And by the way... :welcome:

Hi Dusnoetos,

Thanks for the welcome :grouphug:...

I`m actually not sure why my rig`s specs are not showing at the end of the post... ?
I see you have your specs under what you wrote....

I filled out the bit about my PC in my profile but I guess there is a way to make it like a signature??

What am I missing?:shrug:

For the meantime...

I am using Asus Maximus Formula III- Intel I7 860 quad core- Zalman cnps10x extreme cooler- 4GB of Ripjaws 1600mhz -Ati Radeon HD 5870 (1GB) - Asus OC station- all housed in an Antec 900 case... :comp:

Just a quick update... I just turned my Zalman Cpu cooler so that it blows out the back of the case and lo and behold I`m now at 33 degrees C where I was at 38 on my earlier post !! :clap:

:comp:

Just a quickie...
I see that you have set up at (245x15) ..
Obviuosly this means 245 base clock and 15 multiplier...
I just wonder why not a lower base clock and a higher multiplier??
I am currently on 200x21, is there an advantage? After all, surely the very high base clock has an effect on All the other components as opposed to ramping up the Cpu?? :confused:

AMD is a bit different than Intel, and the base clock thing isn't equivalent across platforms. I'll let him explain better though since its his system.

my CPU has a locked multiplier. It is locked at 15. I can go lower but no higher. So in order for me to overclock my 640 I have to adjust the frequency ( front side bus -FSB). Some AMD processors do have an unlocked multiplier and those are designated as the "BE" (Black Edition) chips. Having an unlocked multiplier does make for an easer overclock since the multiplier only affect the CPU where as the FSB affects the whole system.

I cant say much for Intel chips since the last Intel CPU I have messed with would be a socket 478 Pentium 4. But as I.M.O.G. said. Intel and AMD are not the same. The whole actual performance vs clock speed thing is hard to understand. For example: Back in the early Athlon XP and Pentium 4 days. An Athlon XP with a lower clock speed could feasibly out perform a faster clocked Pentium 4. - due in part to differences in architecture.

If some one can explain this better by all means you have the floor......

Last edited:
Thanks for breaking that down Dusnoetos.. I see what you mean, its a workaround of sorts for a limitation..:thup:

To be honest I`ve always had AMD chips in the past, I went with the setup I`ve built now simply because it `unlocked` the world of overclocking for noobs :cool:

I like that I can learn by `tinkering` but this setup kinda stops you recreating Hiroshima in your case :chair:

Anyway, thanks again and have a good`un

:sn:

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself, wish you all a good holiday season and say thanks for sharing your work, worry, wishes and for helping everyone by sharing your information. I am OLD 51- Working on PC"s since the 4bit processor days of CPM, predating even the IBM PC. In all that I have done one thing stands clear is Over Clocking is today Over My Head and I have little or no knowledge about it other than a 4 years ago I used an AMD tool Overdrive for a video but that was easy compared to over clocking an Asus Rampage II GENE. I am totally stuck as the online documentation, tools and ASUS posts I haven't found anything easy or useful but maybe I have not found the right spot yet. I have this ASUS comes 2.66Ghz running at 3GHZ but I messed up somehow and the FSB that is normally 133mhz is now 340+ and I am already having cooling problems.

So another newbie arrives and although I worked forever in Info Tech I have no experience. Being here is like leaving 5th grade for graduate school. I hope to get help when you can and give it once I have any knowledge or experience to give the right answer.

IF anyone can help with what software I need or how to use the BIOS OC section in the ASUS as much of it is confusing resulting already in a over heating problem I think because the FSB speed is to high but I cant locate a restore to defaults that puts back whatever I changed that increased the bus speed. So any tools, Benchmarkers, overclockers, how to use the OC thats in the BIOS, and what additional or replacement fans should or could I get is a VERY valuable info.

Thanks, Have a great holiday season!

I wanted to introduce myself, wish you all a good holiday season and say thanks for sharing your work, worry, wishes and for helping everyone by sharing your information. I am OLD 51- Working on PC"s since the 4bit processor days of CPM, predating even the IBM PC. In all that I have done one thing stands clear is Over Clocking is today Over My Head and I have little or no knowledge about it other than a 4 years ago I used an AMD tool Overdrive for a video but that was easy compared to over clocking an Asus Rampage II GENE. I am totally stuck as the online documentation, tools and ASUS posts I haven't found anything easy or useful but maybe I have not found the right spot yet. I have this ASUS comes 2.66Ghz running at 3GHZ but I messed up somehow and the FSB that is normally 133mhz is now 340+ and I am already having cooling problems.

So another newbie arrives and although I worked forever in Info Tech I have no experience. Being here is like leaving 5th grade for graduate school. I hope to get help when you can and give it once I have any knowledge or experience to give the right answer.

IF anyone can help with what software I need or how to use the BIOS OC section in the ASUS as much of it is confusing resulting already in a over heating problem I think because the FSB speed is to high but I cant locate a restore to defaults that puts back whatever I changed that increased the bus speed. So any tools, Benchmarkers, overclockers, how to use the OC thats in the BIOS, and what additional or replacement fans should or could I get is a VERY valuable info.

Thanks, Have a great holiday season!

Give a look in the AMD section forum, many many posts talking about exactly what your asking.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

And make a sig after 5 posts,, you can't till then (spammer issue). Us knowing what you have makes a biggg difference.

hello my name is chris , had a i7 975 for about a year now , decided it was time to get the best out of this cpu, rest is gigabyte ud7 ocz i think 2100, maybe 2300, 6gb of, ati radeon 5 series coolermaster 1000 watt psu, coolermaster cosmo s case all water cooled .logitech 5500 surround , i think thats the model number.

Another Newb here

Hi folks, Hank here. I've been building PCs since my first - a Heathkit H-8 that used an 8 bit 8080 processor and ran CP/M. I've never overclocked any of my systems, but it seems to me that today I'm leaving performance on the table if I don't. I've just upgraded my desktop to a system based on an Athlon II X4 820. I plan to implement a moderate OC so I googled the subject and that brought be here.

-hank

Another Newbie

Yeah, I'm a Noob. I'm mike- an injection molding maint. tech by trade
I have an older system that I've been learning a little about overclocking on.... a little at a time. Here's my stats on it:
A8N-LA Socket 939 Asus board
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Running a stable overclock at 2.6 GHz
RAM: PQI Turbo DDR running at 237MHz 3-4-4-8 (1186MHz FSB OC 'rated')
Nvidia GT430 Running stable at Core clock of 784 MHz / RAM 823MHz

I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer: Anyone who has owned, or still owns an ancient socket 939... Have you managed to get any better out of it speedwise, and stable, running the stock air/fan cooled heat sink?
Also would appreciate any tips on memory for this system anyone could give.
Much obliged :salute:
Mike%20B%20system%202.jpg

Hi, My name is Gary. I am pretty new to custom pc's. I am an Automotive Mechanic by trade and just like the idea of hot rodding my computer! I am still pretty new to overclocking but am looking forward to it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Back