• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The official "Anti-Unethical Overclockers Army" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the name is ethics are what we as individuals make them.

My ethics are different from every other guys.

So the ppl who you call unethical might think the same of you.

I have no problem with what the supposed group supports. Just the name :)

Nice job. Id help out with the website, but most likely compared to all of you guys, id really suck at webdesign :D.

I hope this go's on as a good experience. Cheers :beer:

Edit -Oh yes, im currently working on an avatar for the "army". I doubt itl be too great, but hopefully will get the point across :D

Edit2 - Yay i got it done! Nothing to fancy but thats what ya get after a few minutes in Photoshop! Anyone (note the word anyone :D) who wants its free to take.

Last edited:
Well, i think i just fixed last bug.......D'Oh! I forgot to readd those frames for the 3rd slide......Well, that better be all of them. :D

@DeathStar, thanks for the compliment! Now the avatar knows it has some meaning in life!

*PS*Gawd, this better be the last time i have to re-edit this, uploaded and re uplaoded about 8 times now.....lol this SHOULD be the final version.

IF any of you find any errors, spelling and such, plz pm me! Thanks!

wow guys i'm amazed.

i started that thread as a rant because i was hot at some members for their dishonesty and stupidity. now, its turned into this. never imagined that i'd get SUCH a positive response and that it would grow into something so big on the boards.

i may have been the one who started the thread but i know for a fact that it was on the tip of other people's tongues...i was just the one who said it. (fight club reference there :D) i'll work on a 'mission statement' unless anyone else already has one. i also agree with robb, so i'll try to think of a better name.

keep it up guys, this is awesome.

jeff

just out of curiosity, how do you guys intend to uphold your ethics? more importantly, how do you intend to see to it that others here, or anywhere else, are making legitimate RMA's?
does one of you work for newegg?

i just fried my cpu, and i'm about to order a new one.

what proof of honesty, if any, do you require to join?
is this just a collection of names, or is there any agenda here?

promotion of honesty is never a bad thing. it just seems like you guys are only tooting your own horns, like religious zealots. i'm not making accusations. just wondering what this is all leading up to.

sincerely

this is just your word that you won't do anything wrong or illegal. your word. the only one who you're dissapointing is yourself if you break your promise. its your own concience. you don't have to post a thread here about how much you ripped someone off even if you think you're hot stuff because of it.

jeff

OK I get it now. Well I agree that returning a mobo because you couldn't get it to oc as much as you'd hoped is wrong. I agree that there is a real problem, however big or small, of some oc'ers acting in an underhanded way.

I'm not sure what else to do about it other than acknowledge the situation. I already operate with ethical standards, I'm a professional, and I like to look myself in the mirror, sleep at night. But I haven't fooled myself into thinking I have any measure of control over how some of the more unthinking members may behave. True, we may raise awareness and get a few folks to think of some things they haven't thought of before, but beyond that there's certainly no hope of enforcing any code. I wonder what sort of content might fill this proposed website, and how much traffic it might sustain after the first big bang.

Well I'm all for it, and I sure wouldn'tr dream of standing in the way, but when you look at the cost-reward ratio i think we may get the best return just by cultivating awareness on the board, and perhaps levy access penalties for transgressions. If someone comes swaggering in bragging about how they justsent bacfk a stick of ram because they didn't get 40% more speed than the thing is rated, well then they get a tongue lashing and sent to bed without dinner.

But a website? What would go there other than a mission statement and ethical code? We could do that here in the FAQ.

Count me in.

If there arises an Anti-Anti-Unethical Overclockers Army, then shall we start an Anti-Anti-Anti-Unethical Overclockers Army?

R0BB23 said:
The problem with the name is ethics are what we as individuals make them.

My ethics are different from every other guys.

So the ppl who you call unethical might think the same of you.

I have no problem with what the supposed group supports. Just the name :)

I agree... Do you think chip makers think it is ethical that we overclock instead of buying the chip that we are using at the overclocked speed?? (I think I lost myself somewhere in that thought....maybe I'll make a diagram some day....lol)

By-the-by... Count me in...I've been known to keep equipment that doesn't work right just because I thought I did something to it....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
palee72 said:

I agree... Do you think chip makers think it is ethical that we overclock instead of buying the chip that we are using at the overclocked speed?? (I think I lost myself somewhere in that thought....maybe I'll make a diagram some day....lol)

I understand what your trying to say.

Like i have a tbird 1.4ghz at 1.6.

and your saying they might think its unethical to overclock my tbird instead of buying an Xp 1900+.

palee72 said:

By-the-by... Count me in...I've been known to keep equipment that doesn't work right just because I thought I did something to it....:rolleyes:

No, because an overclockers chip will not last as long as a chip run at stock on average. This means an overclocker will end up buying more chips. It all evens out in the end. Also they would and could lock the fsb (or require mobo manufacturers to) so that no overclocking could occur.

Good point.. I never looked at it like that...

Just for the record, I wasn't saying that it was unethical, just trying to look at it from the manufacturers point of view..

I'd love to OC, but I'm a big chicken with a crappy mobo...

:D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back