• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Granite Bay Review Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coz

Since there's going to be plenty of Granite Bay reviews published today I thought it best to have a single thread in which to post links and thoughts etc.

So far we only have two reviews...........

MSI GNB Max (Granite Bay) Motherboard Review @ TBreak

Asus P4G8X Review @ OCWorkBench

Please everybody, add more links as they become available but post the previous links alongside the new ones so we don't have to search through the whole thread for links, mm-kay?:)

Thoughts so far? Well, as expected it's stock performance level is almost identical (but a little behind) to an i850E/PC1066 combo. If you don't plan on overclocking then go for a cheaper i845PE setup. But if you do plan on overclocking (and that's what we're here for) then GB is an overclockers dream. The MCH (Northbridge) looks like being capable of very high speeds.....

(overclocks so far)
Kyle 'Whoops there goes my forum' Bennett, Asus P4G8X - 188MHz FSB.
Abbas @ TBreak, Asus P4G8X - 190MHz FSB.
Abbas @ TBreak, MSI GNB Max - 182MHz FSB (limited by lack of AGP/PCI Fix).

I've excluded the OCWB overclock (145MHz FSB) because they only used stock vcore with their 2.4B P4 and obviously were hitting the CPU limit and not the GB MCH.

Add the superb MCH overclocking potential to the fact that your DDR isn't being pushed very hard (at 166MHz FSB your DDR is only running at DDR333 speed) and you will end up only really being limited by your CPU mostly. The packed feature set is also nice to have and being able to use your old DDR is a bonus too.

Easy (and very high FSB) overclocking with RDRAM 4x performance will make GB a very nice chipset to own. Start saving those pennies.:)

Nice info. Hopefully the Abit GB7 will have some of the features missing in the MSI board. Like AGP/PCI lock, and Vcore and Vdimm adjustment.

When the clock hits 12AM on the east coast, I will start hunting for reviews.

Hey Coz, are you the same from over at the [H]??

Rocinante said:
Nice info. Hopefully the Abit GB7 will have some of the features missing in the MSI board. Like AGP/PCI lock, and Vcore and Vdimm adjustment.

When the clock hits 12AM on the east coast, I will start hunting for reviews.

Hey Coz, are you the same from over at the [H]??

I think the MSI has AGP/PCI lock. Someone asked that question in the thread I posted, and the guy who reviewed the mobo answered and say that the MSI mobo does have AGP/PCI lock. I don't know about AGP voltage adj. though.

Nice to see you in here coz.... :)

Personally, I'll be looking forward to some Abit GB7 Ultra and some Gigabyte 8INXP reviews. I'm almost certain one of those boards will be replacing my TH7-II as soon as I know which is better and I can get one..

BTW coz, my Yugo needs service, know any experts :D

\Lars
- Another EX [H]forum SI user....

MSI E7505 Master LS2 @ 2CPU.com

Ok, the E7505 is the Placer chipset but that's the dual-CPU version of Granite Bay anyways so I feel I can include it here.

LightBulb - Abbas at TBreak said that their MSI GB board didn't have an AGP/PCI lock. Of course, it could easily be an early BIOS and they'll put it there later. Hexus.net have the same board so we'll have to read their review when it's done to see if their MSI board has the same prob.

Roc - Yeah, I'm the one and only Coz. A legend in my own short-term memory. Now we need *foo here for more lessons on VR. Roc on buddy.:)

Lars - Thanks for the welcome my Danish chum, good to see you here too. Erm, since you're the only guy in Western Europe who owns a Yugo you are the expert. You could always drive it back to Serbia for a service tho.:)

So how is the support for double sided memory?
I read the one on tbreak but they didn't test double sided mem in a dual-channel config does that mean they don't work?!?!?!
I really need to know.

SBeaver said:
So how is the support for double sided memory?
I read the one on tbreak but they didn't test double sided mem in a dual-channel config does that mean they don't work?!?!?!
I really need to know.
Are you sure they didn't test the 3 different module types in dual-channel config? I assumed they tested in DC mode because they didn't mention testing in SC mode only? I know they said that they tested with 3 modules but I think they meant 3 different types of module.

I don't really think there's anything to worry about. *foo knows more than any of us about this kind of thing and he had this to say on the matter....
pimp-daddy *foo said
They're talking about X16 DRAM components. They're saying you can't use a DS DIMM bases on X16 components. I'll go one step farther and say you can't even buy a DS DIMM based on X16 components -- everyone just makes SS X8 DIMMs because it's cheaper, and you get the same net capacity.
Your DS DIMMs are X8's -- each side of the DIMM makes 64 bits, for a full bank. The reason GB doesn't support DS X16's is the same reason no Intel chipsets support DS X16 -- you can't physically get them to validate them.
Conclusion: you are all overreacting. Your RAM will work fine.
The module that failed in the TBreak review was an old Hynix/Hyundai DDR266 DS 256MB module with HY5DU28822T-H DRAMs (128Mb, 16Mx8, PC1600/PC2100 speed). Here are the DDR DIMMs tested by Asus R&D.....

Dual channel:
OK:
SAMSUNG DDR266 CL2.5 128MB (single-side)
SAMSUNG DDR266 CL2.5 256MB (single-side)
SAMSUNG DDR266 CL2.5 256MB (double-side)
SAMSUNG DDR266 CL2.5 512MB (double-side)
Micron DDR266 CL2.5 128MB (single-side)
Micron DDR266 CL2.5 256MB (double-side)
KINGMAX DDR266 128MB (single-side)
HYNIX DDR266 CL2 256MB (double-side)
HYNIX DDR333 CL2.5 256MB (double-side)
NANYA DDR333 CL2.5 256MB (double-side) with the date code after 0151 (2001, 51st week).
NANYA DDR333 CL2.5 256MB (single-side)
Infineon DDR333 CL2.5 256MB (single-side)
Micron DDR333 CL2.5 128MB (single-side)
Micron DDR333 CL2.5 256MB (double-side)
SAMSUNG DDR333 CL2.5 256MB (single-side)

FAIL:
HYNIX DDR266 CL2.5 256MB (double-side), must set tRCD to 3T
HYUNDAI DDR266 CL2.5 128MB (single-side), must set tRCD to 3T
NANYA DDR266 CL2 256MB (double-side), must set tRAS to 6T
NANYA DDR266 CL2 128MB (single-side), must set tRAS to 6T

Looking at the failed modules it looks like they still work with slightly different timings though.

I really think that there's not much to worry about unless you have some really old DDR DIMMs and even then it's a case of adjusting the timings to make them work.

Heh, at least the memory used in the OCWB review is the same stuff I've got - w00t.:)

OK I have two OCZ with Samsung b3 chips (pc2700 is it?) will those work in dual channel?
They are identical and both double sided

edit: 256mb they are

Re: Re: Re: The Official Granite Bay Review Thread

Coz said:

MSI E7505 Master LS2 @ 2CPU.com

3x Granite Bay Board Review @ AnandTech (including Gigabyte GA-8INXP)

I'm going to have a good read through Anand's review now because I really want to see how the GA-8INXP fares.

SBeaver - your RAM should work fine in DC mode on a GB board.:)

That is good to hear, having to buy new ram wasn't an option for me so then I would have had to settle for a PE board

I just read through Anandtech's review.
It was very good but when they wrote the finishing lines they made a misstake didn't they?
They say that a 850E mobo and a stick of RDRAM will cost just about the same as a GB board with two DDR-sticks, but he is missing one point there.
The GB will then give you twice the amount of memory that the RDRAM has for the same price and I for one am really looking forward to having 512+ mb ram.
Then those who want to be cheap can get two 128 sticks but that would be too slow for me.
And almost the most important thing is that you can use the GB with almost any chepo stick of ddr out there without being embarresed when your friends ask you for your sandra mem scores.

kiltz said:
now anyone know when and how much they gonna be!?!?!:mad:
According to the AnandTech review.....

Asus P4G8X Deluxe - $190
Gigabyte GA-8INXP - $175

No indications as to when though (yet). I'm assuming boards will be available in December.:(

Well, I do have to buy myself a Christmas present....hopefully they won't be late December...:cool:

Anyone find any Abit GB7 reviews yet???

Coz said:

According to the AnandTech review.....

Asus P4G8X Deluxe - $190
Gigabyte GA-8INXP - $175

No indications as to when though (yet). I'm assuming boards will be available in December.:(

I haven't been this impatient sice I was waiting for my TH7-II around 14 months ago.... :confused: I'm leaning towards the Asus because of the Vcore options atm., but I'll look for a few more reviews...

I've got my Vapo PE sitting here (arrived yesterday) just waiting for a granite bay loving, mixing in my 2.8 for a hopefully hefty threesome :D

- thanks for the updates there coz, I'll post news when I find a Danish review :beer:

Turbo said:
I'm leaning towards the Asus because of the Vcore options atm
Holy Carlsberg Lars! 1.975v vcore is a lotta juice for a Northy - don't do it!:D

I've got my Vapo PE sitting here (arrived yesterday) just waiting for a granite bay loving, mixing in my 2.8 for a hopefully hefty threesome :D

- thanks for the updates there coz, I'll post news when I find a Danish review :beer:
What do you think that 2.8 will hit with your Vapo PE setup? I would have thought your 2.26 was a better CPU for a GB rig. Maybe not for outright CPU MHz but certainly for FSB MHz. But looking at the Anandtech review it seems that CPU power makes more impact than memory bandwidth so maybe your 2.8 is a better way to go?:confused:

Back