• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Overclockers.com Notebook Retailer List And Rating System -- Vote Now!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hypersonic... 9.9

I got this beast last December with a 6800go and it has been very good to me. I have brought it all around the country and the only downside is when I fly its kinda heavy and annoying to carry around the airports and the battery lasts no more than an hour on minimum power settings but that’s normal for these monster laptops. Hypersonic forgot to include a disk with the sata drivers on it so i called them up and in 19 hours UPS was at my door with a usb floppy drive and driver disk...absolutely free of charge :)
I’ve gone an entire year without having to re-install windows. There is one dead pixel but its in the bottom right side of the screen so it doesn’t really bother me at all...he just chills down there while I enjoy my mobile gaming experience.

I love my 9300.

I've owned it for about a month and a half now, and I have to say this:

It's worth at least an 8.5

I don't have anything bad to say about it, except that Dells A05 BIOS dropped the ball on cooling efficiency, as my fans now require software controls to make sure they actually work properly.

Anyways, I really love it. It's battery lasts about 1.5 Hours with average power saving features, keep in mind this is with a 6800 Ultra Go and an overclocked Pentium M. Also, this is with the 6 cell battery. With the 9 cell, I can see my getting 2 hours. All in all, a very very nice life for a powerfull laptop.

dell : 9/10

i love it and it runs about everything i throw at it. 3hrs battery life with only the 6 cell.
i hope i could throw in an r9800 someday...

Last edited:
I give Dell a 9/10 . My only issues with them are the stealth partitioning of the already meagre 30 gb harddrive , reducing my useable space . And the other is the diligent placement of replacement trackpoint rubbers in my sister's Inspiron which ionly has a trackpad .

Updated...

I have had one non forum member vote on dell... he gave em a 9/10 and he says the laptop is excellent but dell could improve their service a little bit...

It's interesting to see that the voting tapers off after awhile if I don't keep updating... I try to do it once a month so don't be afraid to post because I haven't missed a month yet...

also of note that IBM to a major hit today getting the lowest score ever given thus far a 3 putting it way down there next to dell which had also gained a couple of points. the two are allmost neck and neck...

Last edited:
toshiba 10 of 10 :)
good support because i droped it from like 4 feet, and i threw it(not because of it) and replaced the damaged goods :cool:

EDIT: get the insurance it worth the extra 300 bucks last 2 or 3 yrs cant remember

Last edited:
Sony-6
i have owned one of these and it is slow, and has crashed several times. Also it runs very hot.

HP ze4xxx - 5/10 very unimpressive, scratched easily

HP nc8230 - 7/10 didnt like the looks or the support, the performance was very respectable for the price

IBM t20 - 8/10 a little bulky for a t series, sturdy

IBM t42p - 10/10 the best laptop i have ever owned, it served me well

IBM t43 - 9.5/10 I think they lacked in the grfx department, if you pay $2700 i would expect something better than the x300

IBM z60t - 9/10 one of the most durable 14' widescreens, with the same old IBM quality

Recently bought a ze4427wm from the classifides section on here, and for my first laptop, I'm quite pleased.

HP ze4427wm
Windows 2000 Pro
AMD Athlong XP-m 2200+ T-bred
512 DDr266
30 gig fujitsu 4200rpm(i think)
ATI 320m shared vid

Battery life itsn't what I'd like it to be, but for the price I paid I can't really complain.

Again, for my first lappy, I'm content. And it's a folding beast. :p Does run a bit hot, going to tear into it today n see what I can do about that. Drivers for the sound were a bit of a bother to find, since all the software I had, were the recovery disks for XP.

I'm also a huge Unreal player, I have every version released. :p And this plays UT:gotye fine at full settings.

8/10 for the HP

IBM gets a 10/10 from me.

I have had my first thinkpad from 98 and it still runs like a champ. Customer service was great after they keyboard stopped responding on some keys after 5 years of use. My new T43 just arrived two weeks ago, and I LOVE IT.

I recently had a chance to use a Toshiba satelite in the $899 range, it came with a celeron m and ati chipset. Overall a very good laptop for the money, not too heavy nice shiny wide screen, fast felt nothing like a celeron, I though the keyboard could have been setup better, they wasted quite a bit of space with utility buttons that were usuless to me, I don't know if the celeron is able to change it's frequency or if this laptop was not setup properly but it refused to downclock like my a64, battery only held half the amount of power that my laptop but was still able to work for 2 hours off the battery.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10 specially for the price.

Last edited:
IBM should be changed to be IBM / Lovana - or what ever the new company is :)

i will give

10/10 for dell - company owns 2 inspriron 9100's and they have been flawless

10/10 for toshiba as well, company has several of these, have always fuctioned perfect!

IBM should be left alone, and a new catagory should be made for Lenovo. (That is the correct name of the Chinese company that took over IBM's laptop division.)

IBM, back when IBM was IBM, was getting some great ratings, and Lenovo is getting some pretty poor ratings, why lump them together?

steve

skou said:
IBM should be left alone, and a new catagory should be made for Lenovo. (That is the correct name of the Chinese company that took over IBM's laptop division.)

IBM, back when IBM was IBM, was getting some great ratings, and Lenovo is getting some pretty poor ratings, why lump them together?

steve
I agree, I've seen a couple reviews where the reviewer mentions that the quality of the laptop has degraded which is pretty sad from what I hear IBM was the best by a good margin.

well i know that my now soon to be gone trusty armada m700 was a great lappy and that i was pretty surprised of the capacity of such a small machine (p3_500/256/6gig/8mb_ati)and i would rate that lappy at an 8.5
i will soon get my hand on a toshiba ill post then for it

HP = 3.5

They're good laptops if all you ever do is leave them plugged in and do word processing. They used to be good, but now their quality has gone to hell. The past 2 times in a row, they've sent me back a laptop that had problems with it. This time it came back worse than before. When I sent it in, the problems were a dead audio chipset and the wireless antennas not being plugged in. Now that I have it back, the problems I've found SO FAR are that the wireless antennas are STILL not plugged in (or plugged in backwards), the power/battery/HDD indication lights in the front don't turn on, the touchpad won't turn on, and the PowerNow features don't work, making the battery life EVEN WORSE than before, 1 and a half hours if the CPU load is 0% and the screen is closed and only a USB mouse is plugged in (since I can't use the touchpad...), and yes I've tried reinstalling the drivers and stuff. I'm giving them a 3.5 just because it was a good laptop before the several problems I've had with it (which was about 1 year and a few months). HP FAILS!!! :bang head

Updated...
ok something tells me I need to look into making another cateogory huh... this is news to me probbably since I haven't paid much attention to IBM... I will do a little research before I make a decision about a new cateogory And I will make an update then also... :)

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118867,00.asp#
Following the deal, the two companies will enter an alliance under which IBM becomes the preferred services and customer financing provider to Lenovo and Lenovo becomes the preferred supplier of PCs to IBM, they say.

"Lenovo products will be co-branded for the next few years, to leverage the power of the IBM ThinkPad brand with our existing and future customers," says Mark Loughridge, chief financial officer of IBM in a telephone conference call.

"We will have a phased implementation with products initially using the IBM logo as the primary brand and transitioning over 60 months to an IBM endorsement of the Lenovo-branded products," Loughridge says.

Leasing, financing, warranty, and maintenance services will be provided by IBM Global Financing and IBM Global Services to Lenovo customers, he says.

this is a very hard call... lenovo is supposidly becoming the worlds 3rd largest pc maker... so I think I might...

ok for now I have made my decision... until lenovo starts bringing Ibm down then they will stay in the same cateogory... I havent seen a lenovo reviewed yet and also they are still using ibm's design... it will take them awhile before they modify Ibm's design... and also Lenovo is outsourcing all it's support to Ibm still so You still will get the same great support...

so the FINAL ANSWER (for now) is I'm too lazy to make a new category... but I will eventually... maybe in a few months... I would have to disguinguish OLD IBM FROM NEW as Lenovo is still using the IBM logo for the next few years...

Last edited:
Lenovo kept all of the designersw from IBM so far, they might have added some of their own but I dont think they let go any of the top positions. I think Lenovo should be included with IBM, untill they start rolling out with cheap plastic dell look alikes, they should be considered the same company.

ASUS 6000U

9/10

Wow, this is great. Cheapest price around but huge screen, wifi, burner etc.

mmmm, got it out of the box and the cd drive/burner didnt work. Straight back to the shop for a quick no-problem swap. (all the sales people got quite animated actually, quite amusing rushing all over to sort it out) Anyways, that drops it down from the perfect score.

Back