• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OS Box - Concept

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While 98 is based on DOS, I personally feel that it is sufficiently different than DOS, and certainly more advanced. While that represents a shell, not an OS, the underlying DOS is much modified to handle all kinds of different things and, what, like 2 later generations of file systems? It's different enough in my book.

Z

Hmmm... interesting idea but i think there are several hardware issues:

1) Heat. 4PCs in one small box? Its gonna get warm in there...
2) Mice. USB will work for PC and Mac, dunno about the other two.
3) Power: you will likely need one PSU per PC.

And to be perfectly honest, all operating systems will not be on the same PC. They will be split among 4 PCs.

It depends what you consider a PC. To me, one motherboard/chipset = one PC. So by my reckoning there are 4 PCs in there.

You could try most PCs in small amount of space :)

David

Isn't the idea, even the one on Maximum PC's website and in their magazine, "the most OSs in one box"? I don't think it technically matters what number of computers are in it as long as it's one box. While that cerainly opens up a lot of room to fudge, ie a large refridgerator sized cardboard box full of computers and such, but I think that this still stays true to the idea. If he wanted to be known by this title, though, he could ask Maximum PC if his concept is true to the definition or not.

Z

zachj said:
Isn't the idea, even the one on Maximum PC's website and in their magazine, "the most OSs in one box"? I don't think it technically matters what number of computers are in it as long as it's one box. While that cerainly opens up a lot of room to fudge, ie a large refridgerator sized cardboard box full of computers and such, but I think that this still stays true to the idea. If he wanted to be known by this title, though, he could ask Maximum PC if his concept is true to the definition or not.

Z

In that case, define a box.

David

a box . . .
A figure or shape of an enclosure surrounding something inside its walls. Thus, whatever he puts in a box is still one box. "OS Box"= box o' OSs=more than one, but in one box. All I'm saying is if he wants to stay true to form, he should ask if "box"=one hardware computer in that box.

Z

Then its easy to beat maximum pc. Make a really big box, put 40 computers in it, then install Win95 on each one and you have achieved victory.

While that is true, I conceded that same fact in my above post and I also think you know what I meant. I'll reiterate what I said, though. Ask Mximum PC if you want to make sure that it conforms to the OS Box concept.

Z

Hey Hey, its time for an update.

Im been going through lots of HCL's (Just a Note: 6 hrs looking and croscomparing pages is no fun :D) and have decided the criteria that I will be using. They are as follows:

-The newest edition of the operating system (Windows XP for example).

-Must be the original OS (not Yellowtab as a replacemnt, more on this later).

-Must have a GUI (well, that just made it harder).

These 3 criteria allow me to gain the most useful OS box and also make it a real achievemnt, unlike the maximum PC one (5 Windows, wow thats hard).

Some Notes......

The AtheOS Note - AtheOS and Syallable as I see are the same thing with a differnt GUI. So, I can use either one, depending which one is updated the earliest before I build this thing.

The BeOS Note - BeOS Pro R5.0.4 is the last BeOS edittion that has been released, and will ever be released unless Palm goes nuts. [rant] The Opensource 'BeOS's' are not true beos. They are linux running BeOS APIs and there GUI. Yellowtab, OBOS, B.E.OS are all linux. They are a shame to the BeOS name, therefore R5.0.4 is the LAST ONE! [/rant]

The Hardware Note - I have come to teh clonclusion that I will use a Slot A Athlon 1ghz with a K7V-T motherboard (I think).

i would acctually go with the 440BX based board for the sake of running darwin, support availabilty. and it would be cheaper.

Back