• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The pad on the bottom of ThermoEngine. Remove it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhostFaceKiller

Registered
Hey folks

I just got my ThermoEngine w/ the delta fan. On the bottom of it it has thermal conductive pad on it. Do i remove it and just use ArticSilver2 or do i use both at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Just the AS2. Thermal tape != good thermal conductivity.
AS2 == good thermal conductivity. Nuff said.

Not only should you remove the TIM pad, but you should also lap the base. The one I borrowed had fine ridges all over the face of the base. You could run your fingernail across it and feel them. Definitely not a good surface to mate with your core. Then degrease it and apply your favorite heat grease. It's hard to beat A.S. for a quality grease, but short of having some, the regular white stuff will suffice until you can get some.

Hoot

Hoot-

I've acutally seen some reviews that have said the TIM on the ThermoEngine is quite good, contrary to popular thinking that all TIM from the factory is not.

Perhaps for those of us with the "imitation" ones, removing the TIM and lapping the HS is even more important to achieve reasonable/acceptable temps.

Back