• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the REALLY stupid question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dek

Registered
An ISO file is an image of a CD that you can use to make an identical CD to the one that the ISO image was created from.

You will want to burn the ISO to a CD. In Easy CD Creator just select "Burn CD from Image file" in the File menu. There is a similar option in Nero but I can't remember what it is right now.

BTW: There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Last edited:

LiGhTBoY

You don't have to lose all your files. If you have a large hard disk, you can partition it (separate it). All linux needs is a 10-20GB partition (that's MORE than enough, usually around 8GB will be plenty for you to install linux and put some extra files on it). Most distros (various "versions" of linux) have a partitioning part of their setup, so it is very easy to partition.

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

ok.... i burned the ISO files as images... booted up the computer AND.... NOTHING HAPPENED! :bang head what am i doin wrong?

dek

Registered
When your computer boots up go into the BIOS settings (usually by pressing the Delete key) and make sure that the first boot device is set to the CDROM drive.

OP
beau_zo_brehm

beau_zo_brehm

dek said:
When your computer boots up go into the BIOS settings (usually by pressing the Delete key) and make sure that the first boot device is set to the CDROM drive.

ya know what, i originally thought that might have been the problem but i figured there's no way i could've found the solution myself! i'll keep ya'll updated with my first linux experience...