• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Story of the one Little Pig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulilihapulla

The Story of the one Little Pig UPDATED

IMG-20160625-WA0002.jpg

The Story of the one Little Pig

There was an old case with one little piggy, and as the case had not enough to keep the piggy, the case sent piggy out to seek hes fortune. The piggy went off met a overclocker with a bundle of motherboards, and said to him, "Please, overclocker, give me that motherboard to build me a case." Which the overclocker did, and the little pig built a case with it.

Presently came along a Asus graphic card, and knocked at the door, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

To which the pig answered, "No, no, by the hair of my chiny chin chin."

The graphic card then answered to that, "Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your case in." So he huffed, and he puffed, and he blew piggys case side in, and ate up the little pig.
:shock:

Seriously i have readed this forum for a long period and i have been following few projects down here once in a while, but i havent never writed a single post of my own here and actually i`ve forgot my old account as well. :chair:

Here are the PIGGYS specs: :D

-CASE
Fractal design r5 white window.
-MOTHERBOARD
Original was: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (ATX, LGA 1151).
Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION (ATX, LGA 1151).
-PROCESSOR
Intel Core i5-6600K (Tray, LGA 1151 Skylake).
-PROCESSOR COOLING
Enermax LiqTECH 240X.
2x Enermax fan 120x120x25 2500rpm 111 CFM
+ 2x ID-Cooling 120x120x15mm NO-12015 SuperSlim 53,6 CFM.
-THERMAL PASTE
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
-PSU
Cooler Master V1000.
-MEMORY
G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhZ 2x8gb DDR4.
-GRAPHICS CARD
Asus Poseidon GTX 980 TI Platinum 6GB DDR5.
-GRAPHICS CARD COOLING
Phobya Pure Performance Kit 240LT.
2x Phobya G-Silent 12 120x120x25 57,22 CFM
+ 2x Fractal Design 140 x 140 x 25mm Dynamic GP-14 68,4 CFM.
APRX. 30% glycol and 70% of water filling the system.
-HARD DRIVES
2 x KINGSTON SSDNow M.2 SATA SSD 120G.
-CASE FANS
Zalman ZM-DF14 140mm 63 CFM
Thermaltake Riing 140mm 51,15 CFM
2x BitFenix Spectre PRO 120mm 56,22 CFM
6x Cooltek Silent 40mm 5,47 CFM
Zephyr SilentiumPC PWM 120mm 44,37 CFM
-CD/DVD DRIVE
Asus Drw-24f1mt/blk/b/as.
-SOUND CARD
Asus Xonar DGX, 5.1
-LAN CARD
DeLock SX-241

From the beginning of this build i wasn`t so post to make a project log in anywhere so there are only few project pictures.
I have builded 4 computers during my life and here is my 4th one what i did recently build just for gaming and here are few pictures of different periods of building it.

IMG_20160502_201858.jpg IMG_20160509_205733.jpg IMG_20160510_211129.jpg IMG_20160517_065706.jpg

Last edited:
Any reason you're using the lower GPU slot?

Also, PM me the email your old account is on, I can try to find it for you!

I've wanted to get into watercooling for a while now. Im just very intimidated and it seems too expensive. I think ill wait until my AIO brakes until i start anything. The build looks really nice. I like the multi color LED arrangement

Welcome back to the forums Paul. That's a sweet build you have there.
Thanks, i tryed my best building it for performance at this time.

I've wanted to get into watercooling for a while now. Im just very intimidated and it seems too expensive. I think ill wait until my AIO brakes until i start anything. The build looks really nice. I like the multi color LED arrangement
Thank you, i also do like the blue/red lightning, its not so clean in picture than it would be with one coloured leds but on live it looks awesome. I will try to take a new, better shot of it in the dark.
Yes, it wasnt cheap shiiit :S But i hope it would serve me several years with some overclocking. And also iam playing only Battlefield and it is pretty light game to run, at least now. =)

Hi

One major change has done after i builded this.
The motherboard m.2 port brokedown suddenly and i had to return it and at the same i changed another manufactorer board because this Gigabyte wasnt too good at all.
Problems were that bios was resetting itself on and on and then this m.2 port brakedown.
Also from the overclocking view this board wasn`t comfortable because all the c states and automatic power settings there on Gigabyte bios were very pain in the *** tuning itself even turned them all off! :mad:
I just didn`t like it at all.

A new -MOTHERBOARD is:
Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION.
Had to say this board is way better and good enough for my overclocking purposes. Msi has also done the bios very well and what is the most important it allows you to self control the voltages without forced automation, if you like to.

Here is one picture with a new board.
IMG_20161203_193455.jpg

Last edited:
I found from storage one more unused 120mm extra fan and a dust cover and i had an idear to add an extracooler for motherboard back of it. I drilled a 111mm circular hole to rear panel of the case and installed the Zephyr fan there with a dust cover. Its blowing cool air straight to cpu socket and area around it including VRM`s etc.
Msi XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM is very well cooled motherboard on its own, but i though because ima lightweight overclocker i dont know how much it helps because its allready watercooled loop, maybe more likely when it will be the 2 months hot summer season in a year here in Finland :F :p

I did also bought a handmade dustcover for case roof. R5 case has already dust covers front and bottom on its own where i have a fans blowing air in. Then i needed dustcover also for the roof where is the water radiator with 4 fans blowing inside. Fractal Design doesnt make any of these for the roof so i almost started to make it on my own, but then i found one store from the entire world who makes these by handmade.:clap: There was a ready sized magnetic attachment roof cover for this case so i didnt even need to mearure anything and there was a color options also, its awesome(picture below).

IMG_20170209_163110.jpg
IMG_20170211_104640.jpg

I also made a air flow map for my setup.
IMG_20161203_193455.jpg

Last edited:
I love your build Paul but I believe you would get better airflow by reversing the fans at the top of your case and making them exhaust. You currently have 6 fans for intake and 2 for exhaust. If you were to exhaust out the top with your radiator then you would have 4 intake and 4 exhaust and more importantly your flow would be a smooth bottom and front to top and rear.

Edit: I just noticed the little fans behind your reservoir. These probably pull about the same amount of air as the spot fan on the back side of the motherboard so they probably wont be too much of a factor.

Again, it looks great, this is just an opinion of mine I'm sure others will agree with me and some will say it doesn't make much difference so long as your temps are fine right now. :shrug:

I love your build Paul but I believe you would get better airflow by reversing the fans at the top of your case and making them exhaust. You currently have 6 fans for intake and 2 for exhaust. If you were to exhaust out the top with your radiator then you would have 4 intake and 4 exhaust and more importantly your flow would be a smooth bottom and front to top and rear.

Edit: I just noticed the little fans behind your reservoir. These probably pull about the same amount of air as the spot fan on the back side of the motherboard so they probably wont be too much of a factor.

Again, it looks great, this is just an opinion of mine I'm sure others will agree with me and some will say it doesn't make much difference so long as your temps are fine right now. :shrug:

Opinions are very welcome, thanks!
Naturally i`am willing to make this setup work best as possible, even i`am running with water cooled system, i still want to make the case airflow also work good as possible to get the most out of the piggy.:p

I understand what you mean by making the airflow smooth and thats the ideal way and also the way i want it to be.
But also i really do believe that the best cooling for the radiators is to get the air straight outside from the case throw it. Sooo thats why i kept both radiators fans spinning the same direction as they were before.
I have also controlled the exhaust fans running higher than the intake, except cpu fans are custom smart controlled +1 behind mobo is running full.
But heres a new try, what about you think now?
IMG_20170213_194323.jpg

Last edited:
I think the air flow is improved and you will receive better temps from this change. It's still not ideal but that's ok. There are some here that will say the lower fans should always blow air up as heat will naturally try to rise. It's my believe that as long as those bottom fans are spinning the heat rise will not be an issue.

What I don't like about this set-up is the warm air that is pushing out of the bottom of the case will get sucked in by the PSU intake fan. This will cause your PSU to get hotter than if the air flow was bottom to top. Whether this will be an issue or not will simply be a matter of testing it out for hours on end.

Back