• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the super expensive cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

jus twanna know if their any good

3dLabs - Wildcat VP990 Pro 512MB AGP

Gainward - GeforceFX 5900 Ultra PowerPack Ultra/1600 XP Golden Sample 256MB w/ VIVO, DVI

Matrox - Parhelia 256MB 512-bit GPU Retail w/ TripleHead

MSI - nBOX N5900 ULTRA 256MB DDR w/ VIVO,DVI-I, MSI nMouse, EA Games Bundle

PNY - QuadroFX 1000 128MB AGP8X

the 9800xt no need to be on this list we all know of their capabilities right ;)

9800XT wins hands down.

A lot of those cards are for workstations, not gaming.

i see has anyone ever tested them for gaming though? if their good for video editing they must be rather high end gotta be good for somethign right? haha

Do you want games or rendering?

Just to let you know, Wildcat, Oxygen, Fire and other such cards are designed for rendering and not games.

Let me explain the difference.

In a gaming system you want FPS AND Good Graphics. But, if the graphics are turned up so high that the fps drops to an unplayable level, then you drop back the graphical settings so you can play a game.

With rendering cards, you could care less about fps. Most of the time, you don't deal with fps at all when you are rendering scence 1 frame at a time. You want more GPU's and power for scene complexity. This is why these cards tend to have 6+ T&L engines, or some other fun add-ons.

Not saying mainstream cards can't render scence, and rendering cards can't play games, but usually you buy the card you need for that specific purpose to maximize your performance.

If you want to see how much high level rendering cards sell for, try a search for the Wildcat4 7210....

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Graphics_Cards_3Dlabs_Wildcat_4_7210_Graphics_Card_01_000074_XXX

such as this. There are others that cost WAY more. These are the kinds of cards used to create movies like Shrek and Finding Nemo.

Re: Do you want games or rendering?

DocGiggs said:
Just to let you know, Wildcat, Oxygen, Fire and other such cards are designed for rendering and not games.

Let me explain the difference.

In a gaming system you want FPS AND Good Graphics. But, if the graphics are turned up so high that the fps drops to an unplayable level, then you drop back the graphical settings so you can play a game.

With rendering cards, you could care less about fps. Most of the time, you don't deal with fps at all when you are rendering scence 1 frame at a time. You want more GPU's and power for scene complexity. This is why these cards tend to have 6+ T&L engines, or some other fun add-ons.

Not saying mainstream cards can't render scence, and rendering cards can't play games, but usually you buy the card you need for that specific purpose to maximize your performance.

If you want to see how much high level rendering cards sell for, try a search for the Wildcat4 7210....

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Graphics_Cards_3Dlabs_Wildcat_4_7210_Graphics_Card_01_000074_XXX

such as this. There are others that cost WAY more. These are the kinds of cards used to create movies like Shrek and Finding Nemo.

Not to mention that the drivers for those cards have absolutly no gaming related optimisations at all

guess only use for me for this card is if i wanted to make finding nemo part 2 haha

the fx1000 quadro sounds tempting for the fact it can do 2d and 3d cad at 3840x2400 max, id run 3200x2400. now if we had a gaming card that did 3200x2400 :drool:

Overclocker550 said:
mine theoratically should do 3200x2400 at 48Hz. flicker city but should do it

According to the specifications of every monitor ive seen, nothing can go that high

FOr example, this 24" Sony im looking at, has a Max Res of 2,304 x 1,440

thats called overclocking and Ill attempt this on my monitor, I have gotten 14" and 15" to 1600x1200 but at low refresh rates to reduce the chance of burning em up ;)

Overclocker550 said:
mine theoratically should do 3200x2400 at 48Hz. flicker city but should do it

What's the model of your monitor, exactly?

I don't think any consumer monitors can do that...

Falcon-K said:
not to mention you are damaging your eyes at anything lower than 75hz if you are using it prolonged....

I think his eyes are already damaged. :D

Does anyone in here have enough money to get a Wildcat and try it? The IV 7210 128MB+256MB version costs 24995 in norway. That's like 3787$!!!!! Would be fun to have one though, just for bragging!

Back