• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the things some people do...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ugmore Baggage

Don't get me wrong, that is an amazing project and I bow to your ingenuity but was it worth it? Just the shoptime probably came to (at least) $50 (right?) but those those temps are about 2 degrees better than mine. How much did you pay for that sucker?

Definitely awesome, especially seeing that it works very well. What would have stunk is if it stunk :beer:

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Ugmore Baggage said:
Don't get me wrong, that is an amazing project and I bow to your ingenuity but was it worth it? Just the shoptime probably came to (at least) $50 (right?) but those those temps are about 2 degrees better than mine. How much did you pay for that sucker?

Definitely awesome, especially seeing that it works very well. What would have stunk is if it stunk :beer:

i think it is like those that mill their own waterblocks. Most of the time hours are spent and little performance is gained over other blocks. It might have cost less but the price of labor and planning is costly. But, the best part about it is the fun and eperience of making your own. Or knowing the fact that you can do the same thing has the nig names in the business:D

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
a 1.6ghz amd, at 33C @ 100% cpu load is nice with aircooling :p

looked very clean, do yall like that guys lawn?? im sure the
neighbors love him!

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Starfox said:

neighbors love him!

haha, i think that is a very beautiful lawn;) , i guess it saves him work.

OP
C

CHYLDE

Registered
just to clarify Ugmore Baggage, this was not attempted by myself I just stumbled apon it and thought yous guys would love to see it. :D and if any air cooler could take a high power TEC that would be it!

mustangman

Starfox said:

neighbors love him!
Do ya think we would have seen any cars up on blocks in the lawn if it was a wider angle picture?

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Now that's what I call innovation. Why wait to see if the manufacturers are gonna make a bada** mother like that.
Let's have some discussion on why he couldn't get it hot enough. Could it be that it's just such a monster that it was dissipating the heat too fast away from the base?

Gnufsh

Wow! That is cool! You know, I bet some people would buy those...

Slap a silver base on it, and use something to aleivate the huge dead spot on the fan, and that cooling would be incredible!

RoadWarrior

So if you've got an ex-marine as a neighbour you're gonna go round and complain about his lawn??? Yeah right! :D

Couple of points, that aluminum foil probably didn't do him much good for insulation, also he had to get the whole damn vice up to tempterature as well. Just a small size "honkin' lump of copper" is difficult enough to get up to normal soldering heat, oldguy had to use a stove for his waterblock, the rings on those are something like 1500W.
If I were doing it, I would've tried to find some scrap rockwool or similar, mineral fiber insulation to try and keep heat in. Possibly would have built a little enclosure with firebricks to try and keep the breeze off and the heat in too.

Take another look at the temps though. If 27C is the ambient temperature, and 33C is the LOAD temp of the CPU, he has some amazing air cooling in that thing. That would be about 25C load at a normal 20C room temp. I bet he can get everything out of any CPU that it will get without going cryo. I don't think we'll see the like of this in aircooling until we get the carbon sinks figured out.

Road Warrior

WillysNut

Senior Jeep Nut
gone_fishin said:
Let's have some discussion on why he couldn't get it hot enough. Could it be that it's just such a monster that it was dissipating the heat too fast away from the base?

That paragraph was mentioning gaining the required temperature to melt the silver solder he was using to fill all the gaps between the individual blades. That temp being much, much hotter than anything a CPU core would ever dish out.

I think the big issue was the fact that it really was one big honkin' chunk of metal once he was done pressing the pieces together. Sounded as though he was trying to apply the silver solder to large areas of the base at a time.

Lot of hours in that bad boy. He went the extra mile lapping the base. 6lbs!!!!:eek:

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
I know it's more than a cpu did you see what he was initially using? A propane blowtorch that puts out about 20,000 btus! I know because I've used them to apply rolled rubberized roofing. What if he burried the sucker in sand to act as an insulator and left the bottom exposed? I bet he would have been able to get it hot enough as not to pay a shop to do it.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
he should stick like 6 or 9 of them little delta screemers on it!!! that would be nuttz!

or 4 delta 80cfm 80mm fans!!! 320cfm and it would fill them dead areas..... like rite above the cpu...

Gilgamesh

maskedgeek said:
he should stick like 6 or 9 of them little delta screemers on it!!! that would be nuttz!

or 4 delta 80cfm 80mm fans!!! 320cfm and it would fill them dead areas..... like rite above the cpu...
i don't think a person with fair hearing can stand this. 55 Dba x4 would be like almost 70 dba's!!!

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
That's exactly what went through my mind as soon as I saw its size. Finally, the perfect mate for a Hoot Chute setup. :D

Hoot