• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the usual which card should I get thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rednef

Registered
I don't do much gaming and I don't want to spend more than $130.
TI4200 or 9600pro?
..or anyhting else?

funnyperson1

The 9600 Pro would be a lot more future proof than the Ti4200. You may also want to look for soft-moddable 9500 nps.

JP_Singer

I agree with Overclocker550 100% go for a chep card like the ti200 that should be good enough and you can find them cheap on ebay,dont waste your money on power if your not going to use it.

Overclocker550

yea. If he doesnt game much, does he need a $130 9600 pro for those old dx7 games? If he ever decides he wants to play the most recent games often then its a different story and forget the 9600 pro, id just go 9700 pro for $200 its so much better

Falcon-K

i dont see how when someone says that they dont game much that means taht they only play dx 7 games? He could be playing just one game or so but that doesnt mean that only die hard gamers can play NEW games does it? If you have $130 and want to spend that much then grab the 9600 pro. Then you will be able to play most games for a while.

shortyes

I would say save your money and buy a 40 dollar ti4200. If you have 130 dollars and looking at your system I would say spend the last 90 dollars on some more ram. That will help a lot more than a 9600.

You need at least 512 these days

JP_Singer

Sentential said:
Not necessararly, (see sig) RAM isnt everything:D I would invest in BETTER ram not more.

These days if you dont have at least 512 ram then you will get jerky frame rate because the hard drive is being cached like crazy to make up for the ram that you dont have not to mention that all that constant cacheing going on can be hard on your hard drive so yes it would make more since to get more ram and a decent video card on that budget.

shortyes

Sentential said:
Not necessararly, (see sig) RAM isnt everything:D I would invest in BETTER ram not more.

lol I beg a differ:p

I would say that a system with 512mb of PC2700 and a GF4 vid card will beat the living daylite out of a system with 256mb of pc3500 and a ATI 9800, especially if it is running WINXP.

MORE is always better. the only time better ram will beat more ram is when it surpass the 512mb mark and then only if he O/Cs.

shortyes

More ram will give you a faster load time for games and programs. It will also give you smoother game play for the graphics intense games.

Think of a bath tub. If I give sentinetial a cup and ask him to fill a tub and he is RUNNING back and forth while I give you a gallon bucket and you Walk back and forth I would say you fill that tub up faster than Sentential.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Ummm....once again not necessaraly. My PCI bus is @ 38mhz and I get 6150marks on 3dmark03 (9800np / Infineon RAM). It all depends on what you settings and optimizations are. I do not get any chop in gameplay at whatsoever, and im running WinXP Home.

But yes 512MB of RAM would be nice. Nice but not necessary. A fast RAM with low latecny like Mushkin L1 Black 3500 will beat the **** outta 1024 PC2100 (although I am gonna get a stick of 512 soon, just for the hell of it)

By the way my comp dosnt run, it sprints like a crackhead on speed.:D My HDD read/write time is off of the diag charts

Last edited:

Sentential

Contributing Member
If I can play Deus EX2 and Americas Army maxed out without any chop during gameplay...i think im doin pretty good. Although ive heard EQ is a ***** to play without lots of RAM

shortyes

Well when I did not have a 4k bill to pay, I usually base my "When I need to Upgrade" by seeing if I can run the latest MMORPG with all the trimmings.

I had to upgrade my Ram for PlanetSide and Vid card for SW Galaxies.

I need a new vid card to play FFXI. Right now I am looking at the 5900 SE or XT for 180.

SpaceyWilly

Sentential said:
Ummm....once again not necessaraly. My PCI bus is @ 38mhz and I get 6150marks on 3dmark03 (9800np / Infineon RAM). It all depends on what you settings and optimizations are. I do not get any chop in gameplay at whatsoever, and im running WinXP Home.

But yes 512MB of RAM would be nice. Nice but not necessary. A fast RAM with low latecny like Mushkin L1 Black 3500 will beat the **** outta 1024 PC2100 (although I am gonna get a stick of 512 soon, just for the hell of it)

First, 3dmark03 is not very system dependendant (not nearly as system dependant as 01), so seeing as you have a 9800np, that score makes sense as RAM has little to no effect on that benchmark. Second, even if you dont think having 256megs of ram is slowing down your system, there's a good chance that it is, or will be soon enough. I dont care how fast it is either, having fast RAM doesnt make a difference in new games like Lock On that tax even systems with 512megs. Also, it isnt fair to compare pc3500 RAM with PC2100 RAM since PC2100 RAM runs at 133 fsb, which is barely enough to run at the stock speed of most procs. Once you overclock, forget about it, pc2100 RAM just doesnt cut the mustard. Anyone who wants to overclock should have at least PC2700, and higher if they can afford it.