• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "Which fan is best for my heatsink" thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, Mudd. This is exactly what I was looking for. (Chevro1et gets credit for an assist for sending me here.)

You put a lot of work into this and made a review that's highly usable. Good stuff.

:clap::attn:

How does the fin spacing of the 120 compare with 120-E? It would make a difference with how much static pressure is needed. That's one thing I liked about the Scythe Ninja I previously used - the fins were so widely spaced that virtually any fan was effective with it.

I received my Yate Loon D12SM-12 fans from Petras. They are everything they are claimed to be. I installed one each on both U120E heatsinks: load temperatures down, sound WAY down. Very, very impressive, especially considering how inexpensive they are. I'll probably order three or four more to employ as case fans. So much airflow for so little sound.

Kudos is in order for Petra's Tech Shop. My order was processed fast, packing was very good, online ordering was easy. The kicker for me was that they offer US Postal Service Priority shipping, which wipes the floor with FEDEX and UPS for distant US locations such as where I live, Alaska. Petra's will definitely see more business from me!

Last edited:
Hey Leo, sorry I didn't see your posts until now. Been busy doing some of that moderating stuff behind the scenes; you know how it is. Thanks for the compliment on my testing too :D

The Ultra 120 heatsink is laid out just like the Extreme; the only differences are in the number of heatpipes and also the mounting system, which is actually better for the Ultra 120. Thermalright had to change up the LGA775 mount when they made the extreme because the extra heatpipes made it impossible to insert the 775 mount on top of the baseplate without bending an ear of the mount up for insertion. But the mount holds much better than the U-120-X mount, IMO.

As far as Petra's goes, I haven't ordered anything yet from them, but I've heard nothing but great things about them here on the forums. I have also had great dealings with Job-Tech and Sidewinder Computers too and I know they also ship with USPS too. But I'm not sure if they will to Alaska.

Adding my experience with a few of these fans...

I recently got my hands on a few of these fans at cost from a friend who works at an internet retailer. I tried the S-Flex SFF21F 1600rpm fan, the 1200rpm Slipstream, and the Zalman ZM-F3.

I run an overclocked q6600 on a Xigmatek HDT-S1283, and had read countless fan comparisons on xtremesystems forums, silentpc forums, etc.

I run my system in an Antec 300 case, which has a 140mm fan on top, easily the loudest fan in my case. It's not particularly bothersome, as it's pretty low pitched, and it sits right above the cpu heatsink, so while it drowns out the cpu fan a bit, there's large openings on the top, back, and a hole in the side of the case for you to hear the cpu fan. For this reason I am somewhat picky about noise, as I sleep pretty close to my computer.

I have had other versions of the slipstreams, a 1600rpm one and an 800rpm one I still use. Both I have tried on the heatsink, the 1600rpm one was too loud for me, even when brought down to 1250rpm. I hoped this would change with the 1200rpm one.

It didn't, really. The 1200rpm one sounds great free air, only a light low pitched hum. When put on the heatsink, the sound is not particularly loud, but is a noise that stands out from the other fan noise, low and prominent. I couldn't stand this noise, it drove me crazy and I couldn't use it. But it wasn't all that loud.

Next I tried the Zalman, and even at 1800rpm, I thought it sounded better than the Slipstream. Louder, but it blended in better with my other fans and wasn't too distracting. Performance was the best with this fan, both idle and load, load temps could best the Slipstream by 2-4 degrees, not quite sure because of different ambients. But significantly better. Idle temps were better too, by 1-2 degrees. The only problem I had with this fan was when I throttled it down, I would hear a light ticking noise. You wouldn't have known it was there if you didn't put your ear close to the fan, but after you know it's there you don't forget about it and start noticing it more. It could have been just my sample, but I was disappointed as this was a great performing fan which seemed perfect for automated fan control, it was very quiet at lower rpm's except for the light ticking.

Lastly, I tried out the S-Flex. At 1600 rpm, it is more quiet to me than either the Slipstream or the Zalman, and definitely has the best tone to it. It just doesn't bother you. The performance is on par with the 1200rpm Slipstream, maybe just a bit better, tough to say with ambient differences. It scales down perfectly, I would recommend this fan to anyone with a Xiggy or similar. This fan has a bit of internet "hype" if that's possible for a computer fan, and it lives up to its billing. *edit* After using this fan a little longer I think it's a better performer than the slipstream and on par with the Zalman, I equaled the Zalman's best temps when it cooled down at night. Still very little difference between these three fans, we're talking couple degrees here or there, nothing life changing.

All this said, I realize it's tough to decide what's worth the money to you, the differences are just tones and the performance leaves me with a safe overclock regardless of which one I choose. I was lucky enough to get these fans at cost, $5 for the Slipstream and $9 each for the Zalman and the S-Flex. Currently I'm running the S-Flex on the Xiggy and the 1200 Slipstream on the exhaust. It's a great combo and it doesn't bother my sleep, so I'm quite satisfied.

Last edited:
I am just about to get my Sanyo Denki fans ( They are taking longer to get here than I thought they would ) and a couple of others to go with the few I already have and will be interested to see what works best on my setup.:)

Sanyo Denki have one of the best bearings. It even beats s-flex's fluid bearing or panaflo or delta. Unfortunately, they are very hard to find. Do you know where I can find them? Thanks!

This is why I like Nexus fans. It is all the goodness of the Yates Loon but smoother. They do cost more. Plus at lower voltages it gets to where I cannot hear it. The Yates Loon I have. The bearing noise is very faint but still there.

The Nexus fan I have it the only fan I have that starts under really low volts. On my Sunbeam Rheobus, I am guessing it is around 5volts. Plus when I really undervolt the fans. It is the only one that does not act up making bearing noise.

Most the Yates Loon are best known how they handle severe undervolting.

My Sythe fan gets grumpy and ticks under 5 volts.

According to this Nexus review, the starting voltage is about 5volts.
According to this Slipstream "M" review, the starting voltage is an incredible 2.4volts.
According to this YATE LOON D12SM-12 review, the starting voltage is 2.9volts
According to this s-flex review, the starting voltage is 4.8v (for "E") and 4.0v (for "F")

I recently got my hands on a few of these fans at cost from a friend who works at an internet retailer. I tried the S-Flex SFF21F 1600rpm fan, the 1200rpm Slipstream, and the Zalman ZM-F3.

I have had other versions of the slipstreams, a 1600rpm one and an 800rpm one I still use. Both I have tried on the heatsink, the 1600rpm one was too loud for me, even when brought down to 1250rpm. I hoped this would change with the 1200rpm one.

It didn't, really. The 1200rpm one sounds great free air, only a light low pitched hum. When put on the heatsink, the sound is not particularly loud, but is a noise that stands out from the other fan noise, low and prominent. I couldn't stand this noise, it drove me crazy and I couldn't use it. But it wasn't all that loud.

Next I tried the Zalman, and even at 1800rpm, I thought it sounded better than the Slipstream. Louder, but it blended in better with my other fans and wasn't too distracting. Performance was the best with this fan, both idle and load, load temps could best the Slipstream by 2-4 degrees, not quite sure because of different ambients. But significantly better. Idle temps were better too, by 1-2 degrees. The only problem I had with this fan was when I throttled it down, I would hear a light ticking noise. You wouldn't have known it was there if you didn't put your ear close to the fan, but after you know it's there you don't forget about it and start noticing it more. It could have been just my sample, but I was disappointed as this was a great performing fan which seemed perfect for automated fan control, it was very quiet at lower rpm's except for the light ticking.

Lastly, I tried out the S-Flex. At 1600 rpm, it is more quiet to me than either the Slipstream or the Zalman, and definitely has the best tone to it. It just doesn't bother you. The performance is on par with the 1200rpm Slipstream, maybe just a bit better, tough to say with ambient differences. It scales down perfectly, I would recommend this fan to anyone with a Xiggy or similar. This fan has a bit of internet "hype" if that's possible for a computer fan, and it lives up to its billing.

All this said, I realize it's tough to decide what's worth the money to you, the differences are just tones and the performance leaves me with a safe overclock regardless of which one I choose. I was lucky enough to get these fans at cost, $5 for the Slipstream and $9 each for the Zalman and the S-Flex. Currently I'm running the S-Flex on the Xiggy and the 1200 Slipstream on the exhaust. It's a great combo and it doesn't bother my sleep, so I'm quite satisfied.

Nice info!

Last edited:
Sanyo Denki have one of the best bearings. It even beats s-flex's fluid bearing or panaflo or delta. Unfortunately, they are very hard to find. Do you know where I can find them? Thanks!

I have found an importer here in Australia that can get them in for me it just takes time and in very expensive. But I have heard they are some of the best fans you can get so I had to try them.:clap:
Took a bit of hunting around to get someone to get them for me in small quantities.:cool:

I'm looking for the best performance 120mm fan and it seems the Sanyo Denki ones have the most insane specs... is there a point where CFM begins to have diminishing returns for reduced temps? Can't really find any site to buy them from, but I'm curious if anyone knows at what numbers CFM begins to become 'useless'.

http://www.sanyodenki.co.jp/en/news/2007/20071227_San_Ace_120GV_e.html

http://www.sanyodenki.co.jp/en/news/2007/20071112_sanace12076e.html

are utterly insane... 224 and 300 CFM, isn't that way overkill? And noise levels 64-70 dba....

edit: found some Sanyo Denki ones here, ranging from 60-140mm

http://www.surplussales.com/Fans-Blowers/FansBlow-3.html

Anyone know if that site is reliable?

Last edited:
You do realize that a 120mm fan churning out 64db is going to sound like a Huey Helicopter right? To answer your question, yes it is way overkill.

You do realize that a 120mm fan churning out 64db is going to sound like a Huey Helicopter right? To answer your question, yes it is way overkill.

I already know that and already ordered something else. Anyway, with a fan controller or PWM feature it won't be on high speed all the time; only when I'm gaming, and I use some nice audiophile headphones for that anyway. But the problem was that many of the highest CFM fans were 38mm or above, which would block my side case fan so I can't even close my case (or, barely), in which case I went with a 25mm.

Back