• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "White Water" Micro Channel Copycats Begin.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I am very dissappointed! 2 weeks after Cathar releases the "White Water" block, a big Australian WB maker shows the public this block. I am sickened. You can view the thread here if you like.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112338&pagenumber=1

evo.jpg

Liss

hehehe.. i know who makes this block.. :)

and im pretty sure this will preform better.. :(

stupied "Australian WB maker" arg.. lol

-edit- if there is no inlet in the centre i don't think it will top cather's block

-edit- yea its going down centre :(

-edit again- "Cathar, Our block is different to your block"// :eek:

Last edited:

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
I do believe that a patent can only be filed if the invention is not made public. Which is the reason why a lot of inventors isolate themselves as much as possible.

We may never know the whole truth, mind you, but Silverprop is a business and the only way a business can survive is to make the best stuff come hell or high water.

Ethical? Not by a long shot. But you must understand life's a *****.

Skulemate

Well, considering the arrangement of their current top (which they plan to use for this new base) I doubt it will perform as well as Cathar's block... the fin spacing seems to be a lot smaller than the optimum width that Cathar found (I seem to remember something around 0.9mm wide channels), and the flow direction seems to be wrong. Still, I agree that this seems to simply be a market ploy to steal some business until they can perfect their clone. However, I say let the chumps buy knockoffs of Cathar's block if they so desire... that won't stop me from spending my hard earned cash on the real thing, and I'll bet there are quite a few people out there who feel the same way. ;)

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
# Jeremy emailed me in August about asking me to test one of his upcoming S-type "Star" blocks which would be put into production in late September/October. Worried that our two independent derived designs would be in conflict since they sounded quite similar, I contacted Jeremy and informed him that I had a similar sounding design in the process of being machined.
ok whats going on here?!?!?!?!?!

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
ok a little info found, its not s-type. something else, i guess thats what cathar called them or something

im now glad i changed the name to Type-S

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Not trying to detract from Cathar's waterblock or anything, but I don't think he's being ripped off, as I don't think he invented it.
I think that other people are simply coming to the same conclusion about maximising surface area in contact with the water for a given ammount of copper. That's been the aim all along with mazes and spirals and such. Even HSF's are doing the "micro channel" thing with tight fin placements.

I guess to follow the same logic, Maskedgeek is copying the Gemini, only changing it slightly to make it look different?...No.

And links to the Aussie-clockers are pointless, as they can't be browsed without signing up.

Not trying to be a sour-puss or anything, but I think Cathar and others are just following along to a natural conclusion independently of each other.

Molybdym

That copy makes me a little uneasy, when corperations get their hands on something they strangle it to death. And those channels look awfuly close together.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Diggrr said:

I guess to follow the same logic, Maskedgeek is copying the Gemini, only changing it slightly to make it look different?...No.

not quite sure if im suposed to say this... but gemini made my blocks......

if you would read the thread(if not already) you would find out soo much more that is going on over there...

NeoMoses

ummm, anyone ever seen an slk800? Nobody (recently) "invented" the micro-channel design. The only difference between Cathar and people who tried converting air heatsinks to a waterblock is that Cathar got the fluid flow correct. And you can bet many more "big companies" will copy and follow these designs.

or, maybe they've been developing this block for 4-6 months now, and they're really the first.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Diggrr said:
Not trying to detract from Cathar's waterblock or anything, but I don't think he's being ripped off, as I don't think he invented it.
I think that other people are simply coming to the same conclusion about maximising surface area in contact with the water for a given ammount of copper. That's been the aim all along with mazes and spirals and such. Even HSF's are doing the "micro channel" thing with tight fin placements.

And links to the Aussie-clockers are pointless, as they can't be browsed without signing up.

Not trying to be a sour-puss or anything, but I think Cathar and others are just following along to a natural conclusion independently of each other.

That is a conclusion someone could draw but once you read some more of the interaction that the two had it will become quite obvious that that is not the case.
The Silverprop showing is a non-functional design in terms of benefiting from the microchannels. On their own admission it is an intermediate design that is not final yet. Blatant rip off, in my opinion. The timing is in poor taste also. They should have waited till they have a real functional design instead of trying to capitalize on the latest catchprase "microchannel".

Also Cathar paved the ground, or pioneered if you will, for higher production cost blocks to be accepted and bought by the general public en mass on the basis of his proven higher performance. Remember that there was always the excuse by ALL of the block companies that more detailed designs weren't feasable because no one would buy them.

It was inevitable that someone would copy his concept but it is sad that a big company would put out a pre-finalized design in hopes of grabbing some sales from a competitor. People who would buy it are not going to benefit from the impingement in the version they released (and they admitted as much) so it is also in poor taste to the consumer.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
gone_fishin said:
That is a conclusion someone could draw but once you read some more of the interaction that the two had it will become quite obvious that that is not the case.

Read what? I said I can't browse that link because I'm not a member, nor do I care to be. I'm a one forum kindof guy.

And yes, I understand just from the pics alone that Cathar's block has better flow direction. But I can't really see the top in the posted pic (again) without joining that forum.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
The top in that version is the same as all the other Silverprop blocks. They stated that the final version later will be different.

OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Diggrr said:

Read what? I said I can't browse that link because I'm not a member, nor do I care to be. I'm a one forum kindof guy.

And yes, I understand just from the pics alone that Cathar's block has better flow direction. But I can't really see the top in the posted pic (again) without joining that forum.
Diggrr it is more involved than what meets the eye. The conclusion you have drawn is not the way it actually is. Without reading the thread over there, it is hard to judge. BTW, the thread has been closed but remains up for viewing. Anyway...

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Well, If the top is the same as their other bocks, it wouldn't do very well. Cathar already tried a single in, single out, and it didn't do well, let alone with the water pooling and slowing down around the "fin set" in their block.

This particular case may be different without viewing that thread, but I'll stand in saying that he isn't the only one to have looked at tiny channels to increase surface area. I did too at one time, but a dremel is a poor device to cut tiny channels with, and I wasn't happy with the flow rate, so I ended up making the paths more triangular. I was basically copying what the hsf makers were doing, so I didn't invent anything either.

Last edited: