• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the wire unlocking trick, WHERE??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJ86

Registered
i been looking for the post about using a wire to unlock AMD Athlon CPU's

any1 seen it anywhere or has the info?

Also i wannna OC (hence the looking for post) what multiplier and voltage should i set roughly? i am looking for about target of about 1.8-2Ghz

My CPU is a AMD AthlonXP 1800+ i think it is the thoroughbread core

Thanks, JJ:mad:

If your CPU is actually locked, tere is no wire trick that will help you. If it is a palomino, it is lovked because the L1 bridges are cut. The only way to unlock it is to physically close the L1 bridges by filling the gaps with superglue and then closing the bridges with conductive ink or paint. If it is a thoroughbred, like you say, then it is almost certainly unlocked (L1s closed). In that case, you may only have half the multipliers available. This is a motherboard problem, most motherboards don't properly read/set all 5 FID bits, and so can only access eiter high or low multipliers. To get around this, you can manually set the last FID bit, changing tha available set of multipliers. I don't know off the top of my head which pins to connect so that you can have the higher multis available. Do a search and you should be able to find several threads about it.

i just went into my BIOS and i can alter the "CPU Host frequency" Is this my FSB?? sorry i'm new to OC'ing my CPU, done a little graphics card oc'ing, not much though.

in the 4th post (inc mine) i was suggested 166 fsb, if CPU HF is that when i changed it it wouldn't load, i had to wipe my BIOS to start it again.

Thanks JJ:mad:

Ok these are the only numbers stuff on the CPU i could see

AXDA1800LT3C 944646626348 (bext i can read the numbers)
JIUHB0312SPMW

then in the corner with the arrow to locate the chip the numbers 27291 are there

did i get the right stuf which? and does that help?

*edit* - i installed 3DMarl2001SE and looked in CPU spec and it IS a ThoroughBred core Athlon XP

JJ:mad:

Last edited:
TY :D is the CPU host frequency my FSB then? coz i can change that.

and Which pin mod, got a link on what to do or something?

JJ86 said:
TY :D is the CPU host frequency my FSB then? coz i can change that.

and Which pin mod, got a link on what to do or something?

yes that is fsb.lets just start there for now.bump it up to like 145 for starters.then test for stability.you have a pretty nice cpu but that motherboard is going to hold it back from its full potential.anyway the pin mod is going to take some supplies so heres a list.tweezers,an old ide/floppy cable,and some thermal grease/paste(for remounting the heatsink).now goto the link i gave you(second guide down)select socket view,tbred,desired multi,desired voltage(if unavailable in bios).at this point it should show you where to put the pins.now heres the challenging part,strip ONE strand of the ide/floppy cable and remove all of the plastic coating.now unravel the bare wire(you should get between 7 to 12 strands from one strand.cut it into 1/4 inch strips
,bend the tiny strips into a "U" shape.next place the "U" shaped pins in the socket according to guide.remount cpu and HSF.test for stability.it sounds harder than it is but if your unsure don't do it because i don't want to feel responsible for damaging your computer.

ty, for a start i have tryed 141Mhz and it is running ok, however i ran 3DMark2001 again and got 2903 compaired to the 3032 i got yesterday (i know they both pathetic lol) 1 of my teahcers said that there can be a point where it has gone past which will make it run slower.

like you said the MOBO could be holding me back so until i get soem time to do the wire trick i will leave at this (if slighty) OC running at 141Mhz instead of 133Mhz

but i will post again soon if i decide to buy another board b4 xmas

Thanks again JJ:mad:

i see u want new comp for xmas keep that 1800+ look in my sig but i have the 1700+ :) and then put that money on a better g-card IE: 9600pro also see if u can get a cheap N-force2 motherboard instead off a KT400A based one

i might do that, i was looking at the 2500+ barton coz i could clock it higher and i am selling current comp so to still sell i would need new cpu anyhow

and the MOBO side, i was looking at the DFI Lanparty board coz it got UV reactive slots (AGP, PCI, DIMMS, etc) but if i can find a nice looking n-force2 board i might buy that, the Lanparty board is £82 or the higher 400 FSB board is £102 but the £82 has 400Max

Any1 got any suggestions of nice NForce2 MOBO for about £80ish

*EDIT* comments on Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2 MOBO for £75?

*starts looking on fav shop http://www.overclockers.co.uk at things*

There's also a picture of the mod here:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-06.html

On a similar note, I just tried the wire mod with only partial success.
I'm hoping someone here knows either what I may have done wrong, or what I still need to do!

I did the wire mod, PC booted just fine and runs just fine.
In my BIOS, I can now SELECT the higher ranges and they show in the BIOS, but yet, when the system boots, I get the darn Multiplier of the LOWER range!! Very odd. It says right there in my bios that 14.0 is the selection.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening anyone?

sorry, thought this would be in my "tag line". :)

Asus A7N8X v2.0, AMD 2500+ Barton, Corsair PC3200 LLPT (1G), Sapphire 9800Pro, Antec 480 P/S

Back