• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theory as to how to minimize bubbles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Well, here I go with theory again! (usually right, sometimes wrong)
Here's my knowledge:
Air dissolves more in cold water, and less in hot water.
Tap water contains the gas Chlorine as well as atmospheric gasses.
Distilled water usually contains ozone, another gas.
Leaving water stand for 24 hours while open to the air removes the chlorine.

Here's my theory:
Let your water, distilled or tap, sit open to the air for 24 hours.
Heat this water to around boiling. Maybe even boil it for a while.
While the water is still very hot, fill your water system with it.

This should eliminate most air from the water, so that it won't make bubbles like when you allow a glass of water to sit overnight. In fact, the water may well absorb some of the bubbles from air that's not immediately purged from the system, so that you won't need to bleed much, if any, off.

I'm going to try this the next time I fill my water system.

frostmeister

Hmm. How hot is the water you're going to put into your system? 80 / 90 degrees celcius? isnt that going to heat your processor / gpu / whatever up a little too high? In my opinion, you'd be better off having a small reservoir with a filter in - try the mesh out of a coffee filter - a large enough area will not impede the flow too much, if at all - If you use the steel mesh filter out of a de-cafetierre (push down coffee pot thing) you can run a tap through it and it just lets the water through fine without any resistance. I've been toying with the idea of using a coffee pot as a reservoir, because of the filter, for a while now and will post when I get it sorted :)

Nico3k

hmm... what about your tubing... if you have tubing with thin walls there might be a danger of melting them.

otherwise it sounds very much possible. right now i have my system sitting in the middle of my room, drained, waiting for new reservire to arrive. i had a horrible case of bubbles (4/5 water, 1/5 bubbles) and my temps were still ok (35 Load). i wonder how well it would run with no bubbles.

if anyone tests it, please let me know

Nico3k

hmm i just checked and my tygon can take 82 max temp before damage.
i guess you could do it