• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DontTakeEmOff

Registered
Hi, I am going to order a cooler today for my i7 and was curious about the thermal compound. I have read good reviews about Arctic Silver 5, and have that picked out for now but I was curious if there are any recommendations for better cooling? Thanks

Chixofnix

For some perspective, I've used toothpaste on a number of CPU's without any bad results (other than a temporary slight minty sweet aroma). Not recommended for serious overclocking, but can work in a pinch if you haven't got any of the good stuff on hand ;).

Factors including exactly how you spread the TIM and mount/secure the heatsink can have much much greater effect than the TIM material choice, by the way. No amount of $$$ thrown at TIM's will make up for a lack of care taken with application and mounting :). Practice makes perfect!

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Factors including exactly how you spread the TIM and mount/secure the heatsink can have much much greater effect than the TIM material choice, by the way. No amount of $$$ thrown at TIM's will make up for a lack of care taken with application and mounting :). Practice makes perfect!

QFT! The differences between several of the top TIM's is usually only about 1 or 2C. Correct application is more critical than what you are using in most cases, unless you are using the cheap white silicone goop. AS5 can take some curing time, but there is a way to speed up the process. Load up your CPU for a few minutes, then let it idle for a few, and repeat several times. I have found that you can greatly reduce curing time this way. The 200 hours estimate is under every day use, and requires several heat and cool cycles. Using something like Prime95 can have the process done in a matter of a couple of hours.:thup:

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
you could also look into the ic diamond or ocz freeze they are both as good or better than the artic silver 5 from my experience. but they all work well

OP
D

DontTakeEmOff

Registered
I would have tried some of the other ones, I ordered the Arctic Silver 5 since I had been waiting forever to get this cooler. Thanks for all the help guys!