• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Diode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhostDawg

Hi - I'm a newbie here. I've built and overclocked several computers, but I'm considering building my first Althlon system. I've been reading overclockers.com for a while now, but this is my first time wandering into the forums.

Somebody told me recently that the thermal diode on the Thoroughbred B still does not work. I know that this was true of many pre-production samples that were reviewed, but is it still true of the OEM & retail versions available today? If so, it would seem to render the motherboard's themal protection kinda useless...

SLO_N8

I think it does work...it was just that the review samples that most sites had didn't have a working diode. I've got a 2400+ coming that I'll be trying in my 8K3A so I should know soon enough :)

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
the diode works on the chips just fine.
its the kt333 mobos that some dont use the diode reading option.
that will be your homework to find out which ones do.
or simpley buy a kt400 which all of em do.

it is very accurate tho imo.im getting 34c on my backup and its oced 100mhz and vcore maxxed. has gotta be off 10c at least.

btw .WELCOME TO OC.COM FORUMS!

OP
G

GhostDawg

Thanks for the info - I guess somebody was trying to scare me into buying a p4...I'm either getting a KT400 or an nForce2, so I guess I shouldn't have a problem.

eXtraktor

deathstar13 said:
the diode works on the chips just fine.
its the kt333 mobos that some dont use the diode reading option.
that will be your homework to find out which ones do.
or simpley buy a kt400 which all of em do.

it is very accurate tho imo.im getting 34c on my backup and its oced 100mhz and vcore maxxed. has gotta be off 10c at least.

btw .WELCOME TO OC.COM FORUMS!

Thats the exact reason i sold my Epox 8k5a2+. It does read on-die temps but displays in-socket thermistor temps. Once you've had a taste of on-die, you never go back, lol.