• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dutch

Registered
I was in at my local "micro center" just browsing around, and I came across some thermal grease, it comes in a generic looking small prescription container looking thing, so I opened it up, and the stuff is grey in color, almost silver, and the label on the container say "Pat# TCC-2", Ive heard the term "TCC-2" somewheres before, and the stuff is sorta thick, almost the same consistancy as arctic silver, and almost the same color, ....my ? is: does anyone know what this stuff is?, is it any good, because I am out of Arctic Silver, and I dont want to wait a week for some more, I build PC's on the side, and I kinda need the stuff...

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I have searched high and low, and I can not find a single reference to "TCC-2". Rest assured, there are those of us who do read the posts and try to help. I am just coming up dry on that name.

Hoot

Sketch

No clue, but It does sounld like that old Zice oxide crap yo use to use on the K6-2's and P1's. If it is then it's crap. Is it chaulky in texture , or gritty?

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
A quality zinc oxide paste, like Dow 340 or equivalent is a good heatsink grease. It may not be as good as A.S., but that does not make it "crap". With a finely lapped HS base, you will have a hard time differentiating the performace between the two. Personally, no matter how desperate I was, I would never use any thermal compound with grit in it. I'd use Vaselline or dialectric grease first.

Hoot

Betty

Hoot (May 02, 2001 11:49 a.m.):
I have searched high and low, and I can not find a single reference to "TCC-2". Rest assured, there are those of us who do read the posts and try to help. I am just coming up dry on that name.

Hoot

I did a couple of searches & came up with nothing as well...well, ok..got a quote from the bible (corinthians)...but nothing concerning Thermal paste :)

OP
D

Dutch

Registered
Well, i felt adventurous, so I bought it, and I tried it on my own system, yes with the massive Mc-462, nothing hanged, its prolly due to my heatsink, I experiment with my old FOP-38 later tonite.....thanks girls and boys..

UFF-DA

Registered
Try 2cooltek they have some thermal compound in a container there that might be what you saw. It is in a green container similar to a prescription container. It is an oxide compound so maybe that's the stuff.