• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal grizzly conductonaut worse then stock tim???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree with EarthDog here. Out of the 10+ thermal compounds I've tried, Kryonaut and Conductonaut have been second and first (respectively) for me in terms of performance. I've compared them on laptops, desktops, delids, and gpus... I think either something was wrong with your application or mount.

Having said that, I haven't used Thermal Grizzly pads before, only Fujipoly. Thinking about it though, perhaps you had the wrong pad thickness and that was keeping it from making good contact? I'd be curious how the Conductonaut works with the Fujipoly pads. It's not only the thickness that matters but the compress-ability. Dried thermal pads makes me think they are a higher W/mK. In my experience the higher the W/mK, the less compressible they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Conductonaut is almost only made of gallium/indium. There is nothing special in it. Nearly every "liquid metal" is made of the same stuff. They only mix it and put different label.
Other thing is that using liquid metal on a GPU is a stupid idea. One thing is that you need perfect contact and other thing is that liquid metal reacts with everything near like aluminum and some other metals.

One would think that but reviews consistently put Conductonaut ahead of Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra/Pro. I'm sure the ratios are different. I only had a small tube of Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra at one time and it performed well, but I never had conductonaut at the same time to compare it with. Even Silicon Lottery switched over to Conductonaut.

Last edited:
Not sure why my case is any different. I would guess it would be one of 4 things. 1, they have quality control problems, I believe this to be the most likely possibility. 2, The reviewers are payed off or given a different product then what they sell, that dose happen but highly unlikely as it would be found out once people starting to buy the stuff. 3, I somehow botched 6 applies of thermal grizzly tim and got every other apply right. Or 4, you have to sprinkle magic fairy dust on the tim before using it.

I have a small hand full of tim on my end, everything but cool laps liquid copper out did the thermal grizzly crap. Only 9days the Thermal grizzly conductonaut was eating into the die of the GPU. And thermal pads braking up after 9day is just unacceptable.

I tested both conductonaut and Kryonaut on my GPU (980ti) my CPU (6700t) and my laptop (gd8200). I tested it against cool labs liquid pro, zmstg2m, Noctua NT-H1, and cool labs liquid copper. Conductonaut and liquid pro were applied per the manufacturers recommenced method. Zmstg2m, Noctua NT-H1, liquid copper and Kryonaut were applied by a small dab in the center of the die/cpu. Same room temps same fans, fan speeds same loads. I used prime95 and frumark with cpu-id hardware monitor to check temps. I applied etch tim 2 times each and retested etch time, cleaning the DIE and heat sink with 90% alcohol between etch reapply.

The zmstg2m was on par with Kryonaut, within 3c. conductonaut liquid pro were 9c apart.
Something defiantly fishy here and I can't figure it out. Whatever it is I more then happy with liquid pro and the fujipoly pads.
On anther note I really would like to know what the stock stuff on the 980ti was, it was within 2c of liquid pro

Doesn't do 2k at 170hz.

EDIT:
Looking at it from a quality control problem. How hard should thermal grizzly pads be? Their site sate its soft, but what I got was hard and brittle. Its also a pinkish red in color, is that normal? What about the surface pattern, most pads have a pattern on the surface, the grizzly pads I got have nothing on the surface. And shouldn't the packaging come with the bottom of the bag sealed shut? One the bags the thermal pads came in was not heat crimped shut. This makes me believe they have real quality control problems.

How thick and dry is the Kryonaut Tim and what color should it be. What I got was off white and came out like old dried out ac5.

And conductonaut, its gallium and indium like liquid pro and ultra if I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't that look like melted tin solder? What I got is dark gray and looks more like melted lead.

If you asked me thermal grizzly has some real quality control problem and its about the only reasonable explanation here.

Last edited:
How hard should thermal grizzly pads be?
Soft...just as the website states.
Its also a pinkish red in color, is that normal?
I believe so. I'm sure YTube has some vids where you can see...
What about the surface pattern, most pads have a pattern on the surface, the grizzly pads I got have nothing on the surface.
Not sure. I would imagine YT has some vids where you can see...
And shouldn't the packaging come with the bottom of the bag sealed shut? One the bags the thermal pads came in was not heat crimped shut. This makes me believe they have real quality control problems.
I agree. HOwever, one example does not make it a systematic problem as you want to share.
How thick and dry is the Kryonaut Tim and what color should it be. What I got was off white and came out like old dried out ac5.
My Kryonaut (not conductonaut) is a light grey/white and pretty viscous(thick).
And conductonaut, its gallium and indium like liquid pro and ultra if I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't that look like melted tin solder? What I got is dark gray and looks more like melted lead.
Again, I bet YT has some vids... but doesn't melted solder and melted lead look pretty similar?

Sounds like most of these are questions you should be asking Thermal Grizzly and sharing your experience with them... :)

Again, I bet YT has some vids... but doesn't melted solder and melted lead look pretty similar?

Sounds like most of these are questions you should be asking Thermal Grizzly and sharing your experience with them.
Yes YT has videos but you never know if the cameras used was calibrated right and whats shoes up one colors on film may be different in real life. I much rather ask someone that's used the stuff then rely on a video.
As for melted tin and solder, lead solder is more gray and tin solder is more silver.

I'll hit up Thermal grizzly and see were it goes. Something doesn't add up here.

Also looking at reviews on amazon it looks like I'm not the only one spotting quality control problems. I see everything form air gaps in the syringe to missing items like the spreader and cleaning pads. A few other also state that Kryonaut preforms very poorly, even on par whit AS5 wile others make it seem like its the best thing since sliced bread. Most everything I seen with pro reoves seam to make it out to be the best stuff ever. Yet I'm having no luck with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B011F7W3LU
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B011F7W3LU
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01A9KIGSI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01A9KIGSI

Last edited:
Where are you purchasing your Thermal Grizzly from? I've had multiples of each Conductonaut and Kryonaut without any issues. Kryonaut applies well and spreads with ease, but is an off white color.

You are for sure the rarity as reviews/posts of good results far outnumber the negatives. In fact you're the first person that I've seen have issues with it.

Also, does VGA support 2k at 170hz?

Yes YT has videos but you never know if the cameras used was calibrated right and whats shoes up one colors on film may be different in real life. I much rather ask someone that's used the stuff then rely on a video.
Fair enough... though it will give you an idea...

As for melted tin and solder, lead solder is more gray and tin solder is more silver.
Similar though indeed. :)

I'll hit up Thermal grizzly and see were it goes. Something doesn't add up here.
Agreed. You may have run into some QC issues, but I highly doubt it is a systemic issue. Sourcing the issue is quite difficult. What if it was opened in shipping, or sitting too long in a hot arse warehouse? We won't know so it isn't really fair (to me) to blame them when we see literally a dozen reviews showing how well the product works.

Also looking at reviews on amazon it looks like I'm not the only one spotting quality control problems. I see everything form air gaps in the syringe to missing items like the spreader and cleaning pads. A few other also state that Kryonaut preforms very poorly, even on par whit AC5 wile others make it seem like its the best thing since sliced bread.
LOL, I don't trust Amazon reviews... most of the people can't find their way out of a paper bag. Its why newegg reviews (and amazon) are only good for 'DOA' type things. Newegg reviews, even from those they pick, are mostly ridiculed. I certainly wouldn't trust what people say there as opposed to a (many) reviews. That said, AS5 (what is AC5? is that the Ceramique? I didn't know it had a number!), the difference between most thermal pastes is around 1-3C. 1-3C is just outside of the margin of error and any home user's ability to have enough granularity to test. A change in room temperature (even 1C), application method/amount, etc, all play a role in getting things just right.

So, you may have a bunk set of pads, they are not supposed to be crispy. I would have returned them the second I saw that as that isn't right. I have to imagine every once in a while an air bubble gets in the sryinge while packaging, but, again, if it really was a huge issue, I am sure we would have heard about it by now. :)

Anywy, keep us posted on what they say. :)

emailed Thermal grizzly asking the same questions I asked here.

And its not just amazon, just about every site I see that sells the stuff has people saying the same stuff. I'm more inclined to believe a larger amount of bad reviews from buyers than a few good reviews from people payed to review the product. Its not to say a good chunk of reviews on amazon and newegg aren't bunk. Its just not adding up for me. Something tells me that had a bad batch that was rather small.
And we are not dealing with a 1-3c difference here, I'm seeing more then 10c difference here. Kryonaut was 20c over the stock tim on my 980ti.

And yes I meant AS5 and not AC5. My diszlexia was kicking in again.

I'm getting the thermal grizzly stuff from PPCs and yes VGA dost support 2k at 170hz, but its not the best at it and you need a DAC that can handle it. I tend to dump it to 60hz at 2k as it has less interference. If I go higher then 2k I have to dump it down to 30hz, but anything over 2k and the dot pitch on my monitor will crap out the image anyway.
You need something like RGB coax BNC cables for something like 2k at 170hz without interference on a analog signal.
If your wondering what I'm using for a monitor, its a modified Mitsubishi Diamond pro Trinitron. For my needs a modern LCD, Oled or IPS will not work. Oled comes close and I may replace the old Trinitron with a oled once the Trinitron kicks the bucket for good.

Last edited:
I am going to call BS on the 2k at 170hz btw. Doing a bandwidth calculation shows that it would be 564 MHz, far over the theoretical max of 388 MHz. Even if you could do it, you'd have more ghosting than I could imagine.

And its not just amazon, just about every site I see that sells the stuff has people saying the same stuff. I'm more inclined to believe a larger amount of bad reviews from buyers than a few good reviews from people payed to review the product.
Bad reviews dominate everything. I can find tons for [name a product you like]...(read: anything). My point had nothing to do with Amazon or Newegg, but reading between the lines of people always posting to b1tch, and rarely posting to praise.

Bad reviews dominate everything. I can find tons for [name a product you like]...(read: anything). My point had nothing to do with Amazon or Newegg, but reading between the lines of people always posting to b1tch, and rarely posting to praise.

Right, I help tons of people get their Dell laptop throttling under control and they use Kryonaut and I've yet to have one complaint.

I must have missed the payment for my positive review... I'll go ahead and call BS to that too.

But when the bad reviews mostly point to the same things something is up.
True alot of amazon/newegg receives are bunk. But when you see alot of receives saying they received the item with messed up packaging and dried out and crusty and you are having the same problem you no reason not to believe the others.

EDIT: I lookup up the problem I was having online.
I'm finding older posts on other forums of people having the same problems with kryonaut.

I am going to call BS on the 2k at 170hz btw. Doing a bandwidth calculation shows that it would be 564 MHz, far over the theoretical max of 388 MHz. Even if you could do it, you'd have more ghosting than I could imagine.

My monitors ADC supported 500mhz from the factory. I modified it to not blank the screen when you go out of range over VGA. 2560x1440 @ 60hz is like 235mhz. I'm running 2560 x1600 @60hz for the most part as my 980 dose not have BNC outputs.
Once I hit 120hz at 2k things do go south, like I said you need BNC coax to pull it off. Take a look at any latter CRT that supports 2k and higher and you will see that all have coax.

Last edited:
My monitors ADC supported 500mhz from the factory. I modified it to not blank the screen when you go out of range over VGA. 2560x1440 @ 60hz is like 235mhz. I'm running 2560x1200 @60hz for the most part as my 980 dose not have BNC.
Once I hit 120hz at 2k things do go south, like I said you need BNC coax to pull it off.

What is the monitor model number? I really don't believe you still... In fact CRTs typically start ghosting after 150mhz of bandwidth is used, I'd love to see you run something like https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

What is the monitor model number? I really don't believe you still... In fact CRTs typically start ghosting after 150mhz of bandwidth is used, I'd love to see you run something like https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

I don't know what it is for sure, the tags/stickers were removed when it was takin out of use at a nuclear research place. Or at that is what the recycling place I got it from told me. It came with a 4 cpu workstation that had a Mitsubishi chemical logos on it. Aside from that and the mods and resolutions I can push out of it I did I don't know much about it.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is for sure, the tags/stickers were removed when it was taking out of use at a nuclear research place. Or at that is what the recycling place I got it from told me. It came with a 4 cpu workstation that had a Mitsubishi chemical logos on it. Aside from that and the mods I did I don't know much about it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I've never seen a CRT with over 420 MHz of bandwidth and that number was suspect. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a nice trinitron and owned several in the past, but I realize their limitations.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I've never seen a CRT with over 420 MHz of bandwidth and that number was suspect. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a nice trinitron and owned several in the past, but I realize their limitations.

I agree with you. Its not a run of the mill trinitron, its up there with the Viewsonic P225f. If the positions were flipped Id likely be saying the same things you are, the same could be said for the problems I'm having with the thermal grizzly stuff.
It does ghost a little when over 2048×1536, but only if I push past 85hz and in a dark room. and 2560×1920 over 75hz is the same, but only in a dark room. It could just be my eyes not realizing it in sunlight. But for what do at these higher resolution ghosting is not a problem.
However back when I had a older system with BNC outputs I never had a problem with ghosting.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Its not a run of the mill trinitron. If the positions were flipped I be saying the same things you are.

I'm saying that I've never seen a CRT ever built with that high of a bandwidth. I even googled Mitsubishi Diamond Pro monitors and they are all a max of 390mhz just like the rest of them (hint it's the theoretical limit of VGA). Even my ViewSonic P225FB would start to look bad at higher resolutions and nowhere near the refresh rate you claim. I'd love to see proof, but in the end I really doubt it will happen.

I'm saying that I've never seen a CRT ever built with that high of a bandwidth. I even googled Mitsubishi Diamond Pro monitors and they are all a max of 390mhz just like the rest of them (hint it's the theoretical limit of VGA). Even my ViewSonic P225FB would start to look bad at higher resolutions and nowhere near the refresh rate you claim. I'd love to see proof, but in the end I really doubt it will happen.

I'm not quite sure how I can prove it other then taking a screen shot of the systems screen with the monitor settings pulled up.
That I can do. But right now I don't think I can do anything higher then 2048×1536 @75hz as the 980ti can't go any higher then that over VGA.
I had a matrox card in my last system and it could do all the higher resolutions but I sold that system a year or so back.
I'm still trying to find way to do the higher resolutions on the 980ti.

As for the 500mhz thing. I'm not sure 100% if that is the max. I just know if I go to high pulsl an error on the screen saying the image is out of range and or 500mhz . Given the resolutions I can push out of it Id say its in the ball park but not quite that high.

Its been over a week since I conceited thermal grizzly for answers. I asked the same questions in post 22 and asked if there were any know bad batches.
No response. Anyone know of a phone number in the US I can call?

I also delided my 6700t and used the seam thermal grizzly Conductonaut I used on the 980 (all I had at the moment) I got a 2c drop.
After getting some for cool labs liquid metal my temps dropped by about 8c.

At this point I ether got a few tubes and packs of pads that were junk or thermal grizzly sells junk.
I don't know witch is the case as I will not be buying anything from them again. But I'm leaning on the the idea that I got tim from a bad batch based on the fact that 2 of the packs of pads were not sealed shut and other reports I read online about QC problems.

At this point I ether got a few tubes and packs of pads that were junk or thermal grizzly sells junk.
Its clearly the former... as mentioned weeks ago, they don't sell junk as every other review shows a better response than what was seen in your testing. :)

As far as a number, no idea... but I would follow up on the email...

Its clearly the former... as mentioned weeks ago, they don't sell junk as every other review shows a better response than what was seen in your testing. :)

I did see a few others saying that same things when it comes to temps when I looked into it last week. My guise is also that they had/have some QC problems some junk tubes got out. There are too many people saying good things about them for it not the be the case.
but I would follow up on the email...
I did, twice.

Back