• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Margin..CPU temp confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BorrowedMender

Hi all, I have an AMD A10-6700 not over clocked. I noticed a few days ago the fans seemed to be a little noisier than usual. Having had a computer in the past with CPU overheating problems I decided to install HWMonitor. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw my temperature regularly hitting 100C.
I replaced the thermal paste as I had some lying around and this seemed to help 'a little' but my temps were still way high. Then I heard that HWMonitor may not be that great with AMD and I needed AMD Overdrive.
This is where my confusion begins. My thermal margin temp in OD is very similar to the temp shown in HWM. Surly this can't be correct.:-/
I've added a screen grab of both programs running side by side with the PC idle.
Any input would be much appreciated.

2016-07-27-(7).jpg

Can you provide details about your case and fan setup?
Maybe even a picture?

Can you provide details about your case and fan setup?
Maybe even a picture?
Its an off the shelf ASUS M32BF-US001S. The fan set up....what fan set up :rofl: when I cranked open the case I found no fans except the CPU. I have two winging there way to me, hopefully be here today. But I still don't understand the figures between HWMonitor and AMD Overdrive. Shouldn't they be drastically different?

- - - Updated - - -

Have you determined that you have the latest version of Overdrive?
I think so, it was downloaded from their site yesterday so I'm assuming it is.

- - - Updated - - -

For a moment I thought, which IPA and why beer?

yeah, that's here as well to calm me down :clap:

I would just use HWMonitor, honestly. Do the temps drop if you have the side panel off with a house fan blowing into the side?

I don't have a house fan believe it or not, it doesn't get that hot in Manchester :D I'm going to install a couple of fans as soon as they arrive and i'll report back. Last time I had this issue with a previous PC it was constantly shutting down with the overheating error message on restart. This one hasn't done that...yet.

It's just the stock cooler that came with the pc. The fans came today, I'm going to install them later but don't hold out much hope. I'm leaning toward getting a new cooler, possibly the cooler master hyper 212 evo due to my budget.

So, as I suspected adding fans to the case made little difference. Looks like I need to upgrade the stock cooler. Why do they put such poor quality components in systems. Its not like a half decent cooler cost THAT much more.
Learned my lesson, going to build my own pc next time :D

So, as I suspected adding fans to the case made little difference. Looks like I need to upgrade the stock cooler. Why do they put such poor quality components in systems. Its not like a half decent cooler cost THAT much more.
Learned my lesson, going to build my own pc next time :D

Stock coolers are designed to be as cheap as humanly possible while still letting your CPU limp along at stock settings for about three years. Even on a system you don't intend to overclock/can't overclock, people should upgrade coolers.

Although that hyper212 is a freaking pain to install.

Back