• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight AX-7 Top Heatsink As of Today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

i told you guys it was the best...but no everyone wants the swifty (j/k).....dang man i could probably passive cool my cpu with that thing...

OP
Yodums

Yodums

funnyperson1 said:
i told you guys it was the best...but no everyone wants the swifty (j/k).....dang man i could probably passive cool my cpu with that thing...

For a 0.01 C/W difference from Watercooling, and about half or one third its price, definitely! That would technically be watercooling for Intel users.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
i have a swifty but i am thinking about selling it for 50ish because it is still fairly new and i think i have someone who will buy it, and getting the ax-7. I wish the ax-7 woul have been finished a few weeks ago and then i could have saved some money:eh?: . oh well, least i'll make a few bucks after shipping:)

OP
Yodums

Yodums

NASsoccer said:
i have a swifty but i am thinking about selling it for 50ish because it is still fairly new and i think i have someone who will buy it, and getting the ax-7. I wish the ax-7 woul have been finished a few weeks ago and then i could have saved some money:eh?: . oh well, least i'll make a few bucks after shipping:)

You'd be losing money then. You paid lots of money for the Swiftech, then you sell for 50, and the AX-7 is around there w/ a fan plus you have to pay shipping.

funnyperson1

actually the AX-7 is available at heatsink-factory for 28.99 without a fan...buy a cheap 4 dollar fan elsewhere and youre set

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Finally Thermalright made a HS for an 80mm fan. Looks good, but why is the Swift in the HS roundup a MC-462A and not a MCX462? The MCX has significantly better performance so I'm skeptical of whether or not the AX7 could beat it's effectiveness.

OP
Yodums

Yodums

funnyperson1 said:
actually the AX-7 is available at heatsink-factory for 28.99 without a fan...buy a cheap 4 dollar fan elsewhere and youre set

Hehe it'd be like 44.99 for me since I would want a Delta 80cfm on it :D

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Yodums said:

Hehe it'd be like 44.99 for me since I would want a Delta 80cfm on it :D

Ouch...loud. I tried a 80CFM Delta on my MCX462 but it was too noisy so I went to the 68CFM but then tried the slowest 80x38mm focused flow fan they make, the 48CFM HHE series, and I lost only a fraction of a degree of cooling for MUCH less noise. It's a very good fan. I recommend it for any 80mm heat sink.

res0r9lm

ax-7 comes with 80 cfm delta. It's funny how all the sites that have reviewed the ax-7 with 68 cfm delta it's coming a little short of the mc 462 except for overclockers.com
Is it possible that a 80 cfm delta was used instead of the 68 cfm delta that was stated in overclockers.com review of the ax-7?
overclockers.com
ipkonfig.com
amdmb.com

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Yodums said:

You'd be losing money then. You paid lots of money for the Swiftech, then you sell for 50, and the AX-7 is around there w/ a fan plus you have to pay shipping.

yeah i would just pickup the bare hs for around 30. i already have a delta 80cfm that is not being used.

ol' man

I would like to see some data showing it with a slower quieter fan. I will never use a delta screamer. I personally like the looks of this HS with a smaller papst fan running 33cfm. Ironically it kept up really well with the other big dogs and I would guess it is very quiet. I know you can get 30cfm fans for a really cheap. Put a slower 30~40cfm fan on that AX7 and i bet it would not perform as well but still for price it is pretty decent and maybe with a fan of equal db it would be right up there with the swifty MCXC370.

Swiftech MCXC370: 0.32 Papst 33

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
The cfm of the Delta 68 and 80cfm fans are not their only attribute. They employ static de-spiraling vanes that enhance their performance when blowing down into a heatsink. Their speed and hence sound level can be tuned to a compromise between your ears and performance using a rheostat, yet still benefit from those vanes.

Hoot

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Amplifying Hoot, I can second the excellent advantage of the focused flow fans. Thanks to your rheostats Hoot, my 68CFM hovercrafts were handily silenced quite well and I lost NO cooling performance. There is, however, another option. Delta makes a HHE variant of their 80x38mm focused flow fans. This is 45CFM and much quieter than the others. About as loud as a 50CFM 80x25mm Sunon or a -H1A Panaflo, in fact. Sidewinder Computers (one of my favorite online PC performance parts vendors) is the only vendor I've been able to find that sells these, but I have one and at stock voltage it runs very quiet and my Swiftech MCX462 hasn't noticed a bit of difference from 68CFM! It's a beauty.

chuckerants

Help.

How a little help for a newbie.

I'm about to order a Shuttle AK31 3.1 with a Athlon 1600 XP.

The only thing, (I think) I need to know is which HSF should I get. For the price and cooling, I thougt the AX7 looks good. But now reading over the posts here, you can buy differnt fans for it?

Ok, now I'm confused.

I live in Southern California with no A/C so I'd like a fan with a high CFM, but I'm limited to a 300 W PSU.

Can someone recommend a fan for the AX7?

Chuck

ThePunkGeek

Re: Help.

chuckerants said:
How a little help for a newbie.

I'm about to order a Shuttle AK31 3.1 with a Athlon 1600 XP.

The only thing, (I think) I need to know is which HSF should I get. For the price and cooling, I thougt the AX7 looks good. But now reading over the posts here, you can buy differnt fans for it?

Ok, now I'm confused.

I live in Southern California with no A/C so I'd like a fan with a high CFM, but I'm limited to a 300 W PSU.

Can someone recommend a fan for the AX7?

Chuck

alpha pal works nice

tbirdkiri

yep, you can use different fans, as with nearly any other heatsink. but i would buy all your goods from newegg.com, they are local to you and they have great prices, AND they have the AX7
Other than a delta i would use something like a Sunon Or PanaFlo. and those would be under case fan at newegg.com.

make sure you get a 80mm fan or it wont fit.

chuckerants

Just how loud is the Delta 68.51CFM 80mm fan?

That's a hell of a difference from that PAnasonic at 46.9 CFM!

Did I see in a thread somewhere that the fan speed could be modulated?

Chuck

OP
Yodums

Yodums

chuckerants said:
Just how loud is the Delta 68.51CFM 80mm fan?

That's a hell of a difference from that PAnasonic at 46.9 CFM!

Did I see in a thread somewhere that the fan speed could be modulated?

Chuck

Yes the fan can be adjusted by rheostats. It wouldn't sound as loud as a Delta38 probably, the fan fins are bigger, and it isn't so small so it won't whine.

It's a big difference.

Yodums