• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight AX-7 Top Heatsink As of Today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got the AX-7 last week at the heatsinkfactory. I just got the heatsink and put one of my 50 cfm Sunon fans on. Idle temp is 31 full load is 35. My Vantec CCK 6035D was 35 idle and 41 load and a lot louder with the delta on it. I was tired of the high pitched whine and saw the heatsink at heatsinkfactory and just bought it thinking a 80 mm fan would be quieter and I was right. The performance was just a bonus.

Yodums said:

For a 0.01 C/W difference from Watercooling, and about half or one third its price, definitely! That would technically be watercooling for Intel users.

I think that quote is for a very basic water system. The Invotek System they tested today got a C/W of .23 which is a larger difference and at low noise levels. To tell you the truth that Invotek system didnt even look that impressive. I bet the Flowmaster kit with the spiral block from Dtek would get below .2 C/W. Watercooling will always beat air cooling.

Of course noise is SOME concern, but since my main PC is in the living room, I'd rather have the CFM.

I think I'm going with a rheostat though from Sidewinder Computers.

Well this AX7 does look like a real treat. Mate it w/ a rheostat and the 80mm 68cfm Delta I will have yet another adjustable HSF w/ top performance EXCEPT: people by now must have realized that the NORTHWOODs are not SHY when it comes to heat radiation so PLEEEEEEZE....

I guess I'm back to the hunt for the Volcano 7+...

Ferg said:

I think that quote is for a very basic water system. The Invotek System they tested today got a C/W of .23 which is a larger difference and at low noise levels. To tell you the truth that Invotek system didnt even look that impressive. I bet the Flowmaster kit with the spiral block from Dtek would get below .2 C/W. Watercooling will always beat air cooling.

Perhaps, but speak of a price difference. Even though water may sound quiet, you'll see be hearing the big fans cooling the radiator, you'll probably want the big 120mm and also one on each side, so there's no doubt about it there's sound.

Just saying that this heatsink is really good for performance and a bang of the buck.

chuckerants said:
alecela - You lost me. Can you explain that again to me. Are you saying you don't think the AX-7 will be enough?

Chuck

I think he is saying he wants an AX-7 with P4 mounting brackets for the Northwood...

rivercom9 said:
So has the Swifty officially been dethroned?
I don't trust the review on overclockers.com because ax-7 comes with a delta 80 cfm fan and every other site that has reviewed the hsf with the delta 68 cfm fan on top has had results just below the swifty.
All in all you could see very good cooling with any of the top 5 hsf's with the right set up. I get .11 c/w with my hsf and a duct with a 120 mm fan heck thats better than some of the people here are getting with watercooling.

chuckerants said:
alecela - You lost me. Can you explain that again to me. Are you saying you don't think the AX-7 will be enough?

Chuck

Sorry I was a bit vague there... I meant I wished there's a kit where I can use to fit the AX7 on the northwood.

Mandman007: Thanks for the clarification.

res0r9lm: can you suggest a website that's more instrumental and delligent as far as achieving the most consistent testing environments and systematic testing procedures?

alecela said:

res0r9lm: can you suggest a website that's more instrumental and delligent as far as achieving the most consistent testing environments and systematic testing procedures?
amdmb.com had a review of ax-7 also. I'm not saying that their site is any better but what I am saying is overclockers review might have had the wrong fan. hey nobody is perfect. you can go to thermalright's web site they have links to the reviews for the ax-7

My AX-7 will be here later this week... Hopefully it'll fit on my ST-6/Celeron-T 1.2 combo... I plan on sticking a Panaflo L1A 80mm on there. Going for something as quiet as possible... Hopefully I'll get about the same performance as my Glaciator II with less noise... Currently, the Glaciator fan is running at 3700 RPM now rather than the 5900 it ships at via a Zalman Resistor that shipped with my CNPS-5000+. It's just a hair above silent and I only got 1C raise in temps. I'm hoping that the newer design of the AX-7 will get me the same temps with an even quieter fan... Anyone know if the AX-7 fits on the Abit ST-6? I set an 80mm fan down on top of the chip, and it doesn't hit anything around the socket, but I wasn't absolutely sure that it'd fit... If it doesn't, I guess I'll stick with my Glaciator and throw the AX-7 on an Athlon system...
Peace
John

The reason I upgraded was for the noise reduction subconcept. Now instead of a high pitched whine I get a nice hum. I still have 12 fans in the case though. I can't seem to fit anymore lol.

yes i can see why. ive looked at this hsf, i have 4 sunon high speed 80mm fans. so im not sure just how loud those fans would be. they have yet to be hooked up, moving to new case this week. now what fan would you reccomend to put on this wonderful, beutiful hsf.
thanks

jstutman said:
yes i can see why. ive looked at this hsf, i have 4 sunon high speed 80mm fans. so im not sure just how loud those fans would be. they have yet to be hooked up, moving to new case this week. now what fan would you reccomend to put on this wonderful, beutiful hsf.
thanks

Delta 80mm 80cfm if you don't mind noise at all and you want pure performance.

Sunon 80mm Ultra High Speed 50cfm for quiet and optimal performance.

Yodums said:

Delta 80mm 80cfm if you don't mind noise at all and you want pure performance.

Sunon 80mm Ultra High Speed 50cfm for quiet and optimal performance.

I'm sorry, the 80mm 80CFM is the unholy... Even if you don't think you will mind, I would say forget it unless you're deaf, or else you will be soon. :D And calling the Sunon Ultra High Speed 50CFM "quiet" is pretty funny too... I was one of those "Noise is no object, I don't care" people until I ordered an MC-462 with the Delta 68CFM 80mm. After a few weeks of that, I couldn't handle it anymore... I've become more and more sensitized to the noise since then to the point of obsessivly quieting my computer, sometimes at the cost of performance. Right now, the loudest thing in my computer is the hard drive, but my next computer purchase is a Seagate Baracuda ATA IV (quietest 7200RPM out there) and a SilentDrive enclosure (gotta take it one step further, hehe). I am about to move into my new case now that I am finally satisfied with the paint job, and all fans will be on rubber grommets inside and out, running at 7 volts... I've basically gone from one extreme to the other... My computer is a part of my studio, and my music shouldn't have to compete with fan noise for my ears...
My $4 and a quarter
John

Back