• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight AX-7 Top Heatsink As of Today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intraveinous said:

I'm sorry, the 80mm 80CFM is the unholy... Even if you don't think you will mind, I would say forget it unless you're deaf, or else you will be soon. :D And calling the Sunon Ultra High Speed 50CFM "quiet" is pretty funny too... I was one of those "Noise is no object, I don't care" people until I ordered an MC-462 with the Delta 68CFM 80mm. After a few weeks of that, I couldn't handle it anymore... I've become more and more sensitized to the noise since then to the point of obsessivly quieting my computer, sometimes at the cost of performance. Right now, the loudest thing in my computer is the hard drive, but my next computer purchase is a Seagate Baracuda ATA IV (quietest 7200RPM out there) and a SilentDrive enclosure (gotta take it one step further, hehe). I am about to move into my new case now that I am finally satisfied with the paint job, and all fans will be on rubber grommets inside and out, running at 7 volts... I've basically gone from one extreme to the other... My computer is a part of my studio, and my music shouldn't have to compete with fan noise for my ears...
My $4 and a quarter
John

Well, I seriously don't mind sound. I sleep with like (2) 120mm 46dBA's, 39dBA whiny cpu fan, and other case fans. It helps me sleep knowing I'm going to bed knowing everything is good :D

I like to squeeze everything out of what I buy and getting the Delta80 would by my choice when getting a high performance heatsink.

I also have 2 Sunon low output fans that put out 37 cfm. They should be quiet enough for you and also keep your temps down.

Wow. If this sucker is as good as I think, I can hold off my 1st attempt to watercooling for this bad boy.

I assume these fit the S462/S370 sockets?

I just got my AX-7 and Delta 80mm 80cfm fan yesterday. My mobo and proc should be in today. I tested the fan, and the thing sounds like a vaccuum cleaner. I expected to see a little tornado forming above the thing. Sure it was noisy, but it was cool! I can't wait to try it out!

-Dan

rivercom9 said:
The noise of the high flow fans are a bit annoying. Therefore, I must go water cooling.

Did you ever throw that 50CFM 60mm Delta in your system? I tried it for like 2 hours and it was so noisy that I nearly went crazy.

donny_paycheck said:

Did you ever throw that 50CFM 60mm Delta in your system? I tried it for like 2 hours and it was so noisy that I nearly went crazy.

My roommate has one of those, along with I think 6 50CFM Sunon Extreme 80mms in his case... I can hear it across the apartment... Then the server in the living room has a YS-Tech 40CFM on it, makes watching TV hard...
Peace
John

donny_paycheck said:

Noisy is my middle name!! :D

Man how can you guys not take the sound! Its something to listen to ! :D

Yodums

Originally posted by donny_paycheck

Yeah I did. For only about a second! I didnt notice any better temps from using the 50cfm to the 38cfm Delta. I sure did notice the noise reduction though.

Yodums said:

Noisy is my middle name!! :D

Man how can you guys not take the sound! Its something to listen to ! :D

Yodums

No, music is something to listen to, fan noise is just that, NOISE... :D

Not flaming you by any means... I've been in your position, it just started to annoy me, not to mention my girlfriend, family, roomate, neighbors two buildings over :D, etc etc etc... and it got to be too much.
Peace
John

Intraveinous said:

Not flaming you by any means... I've been in your position, it just started to annoy me, not to mention my girlfriend, family, roomate, neighbors two buildings over :D, etc etc etc... and it got to be too much.
Peace
John

Roger that...I hate thinking I'm on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. That 50CFM Delta reminded me of the intro to Top Gun.

Do you guys know whether or not this heatsink may have some incompatibility issues w/ some motherboards where the capacitator gets in the way? I have a gigabyte 7drx w/ a 1.4 TB w/ a noisecontrol silverado. The problem is that a capacitator gets in the way on one corner and the only way to fix this is to grind the corner edge of the HS which i wouldn't like to do. I'm not really happy w/ my current temps so i'm thinkin about ditchin the silverado and possibly gettin a hs that can fit an 80mm fan. .

Intraveinous said:

Peace
John

My theory:

Music works over the sound.. LOL! I know some people have different opinion, but mine are different I guess. I'm an odd ball :D

Yodums

You may have a problem mounting this heatsink because I believe the Silverado is an 80mm x 80mm correct? This heatsink also measures the same dimensions.

oops wrong quote..

rivercom9 said:

You may have a problem mounting this heatsink because I believe the Silverado is an 80mm x 80mm correct? This heatsink also measures the same dimensions.

the silverado hsf is 80mm x 56mm.. The edge clears the capacitator by a good amount of mm.. I'm just wondering whether or not I should buy an ax-7 or alpha 8045. Ys tech is coming out w/ that fan that doesn't have the motor in the middle, making it not perform as good if it was to be used w/ the ax-7

rivercom9 said:
Hey you guys, I keep hearing about the Hoot shoot, but I dont know what it is.

The Hoot Chute, AKA Cohesive Air Cooling involves a high output (I think it was around 170 CFM) Centrifugal Blower unit mounted on the side of a case and ducted directly to the CPU Heatsink. Temp drops are great... It got it's name "Hoot Chute" from John "Hoot" Hill, who invented/popularized it...
Check here and here for more info...
Peace
John

Last edited:
Back