• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRIGHT Ducting mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MassiveOverkill

Why should Thermaltake owners have all the fun?

This is a very simple and cheap mod.
-Gut an 80mm fan.
-Cut the outer shell in half. You can do this with a hacksaw or simply score each side with a sharp knife and apply pressure at the score and it should snap there (like cutting tile).
-Drill a small hole in the middle of the half-shell, just large enough to fit a zip or bread tie through it (prefer zip tie, much more secure).
-Screw the half-shell to the backside of your HS fan
-If you're using a wire fan grill, you can use screws on the side where the half-shell is secured to and use the regular wire bracket on the other side
-secure the modded side to your SK(what have you) with a zip tie running between the fins and through the hole

I can't really give you accurate results of this mod as I went from an XP1700 Tbred 204x10 @1.7v with ASIII to an XP2500 Barton 204x11 @ 1.6v with CoolerMaster Shinetsu. I also undid the 12-7volt mod on my 120mm side panel fans. Someone who wants to try this mod please post your results here. And now for the eye candy:

FanMod.jpg

HSmodback.jpg

HSmodside1.jpg

HSmodside2.jpg

HSmodfarshot.jpg

HSmodtop3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd rather just buy the duct mod, it seems some of your air will blow and completely miss the HS.

Nice idea though, It might be worth trying to cut the gutted fan at an angle but leaving the complete circle of the shell.

Another peep over on the AMDMB forum said the same thing. I don't see how any more air would escape out of the sides as it would stock, seeing as when it's laid flat, the 80mm fan overhangs the HS anyways. The Thermaltake ducting mod won't work on the Thermalright SK series as the brackets are too high for the Thermaltakes' base, unless you gutted a fan housing and screwed it to the base first.

I thought about cutting the gutted fan housing at an angle, but:

- that would take alot more time to cut it
- if you look at the current mod, the portion that's left still overhangs the HS, just like it would if it were laid flat

If what you said is true, the Zalman HS with the remote mounted fan would be even less efficient as it's mounted even further away.

I mean, I'm open to the possibility that it might do more harm than good. I'm not going to switch back to ASIII and my 1700 to test it though (not to mention Shinetsu is a pain to apply), that's why I'm asking someone who has a spare fan to give it a try and see what they come up with.

Last edited:
OK, I just upgraded my mobo to the C1 stepping Nforce2 from Soltek, so I was able to do before and after tests this time.

Stock fan position: idle=40C, full load=57C

Modded fan position: idle=38C, full load=53C

Needless to say, I'm leaving it in the modded position ;)

I personally thing you'd get better results if you gutted a fan and just shrouded it. No angles, just straight on. Why don't you try that and see what you get?

Please explain to me how that would do any good? It's not going to elimate the dead spot. It's going to lower pressure as well?

well if his giving us the correct temps then it worked. Good for him. You dont have to argue with him about the results or the theory, because when it comes down to it all that matters is that it worked. Nothing else about the mod design or deadspots. Just that it worked. Good job overkill

trdsw20 said:
well if his giving us the correct temps then it worked. Good for him. You dont have to argue with him about the results or the theory, because when it comes down to it all that matters is that it worked. Nothing else about the mod design or deadspots. Just that it worked. Good job overkill

I agree.

Just a bit of clarification on the straight shroud: Overkill, Zoilo and I got better temps using straight shrouds than having it dead on. BTW, this is a Tt Smart Fan 2 at full speed with a 12.5mm shroud (25mm fan housing cut in half).

Back