• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright loose Clip solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renegade44

Ever had a problem with the clips on any thermalright heatsink? I have an XP-120 but this solution should work for any heatsink that uses clips to hold the fan in place. I have a Silverstone TJ-06 which is an upside down ATX case. The CPU is on the bottom not the top. So when the clips closest to the bottom come loose it is a real pain to get them back on because you can't get to them.

So go to radio shack and get some Silicone Rubber Sealer. 6-7 dollars tops. See pics for PN. It doesn't take long to set, it's nice and rubbery so it's not hard to remove. And its something every overclocker can find a use for, right ;-)

Apply a little bit to the place where the clip meets the holes in your fan. Those fan clips ain't going anywhere now!!!

You might see this posted earlier as a solution to someone else's problem.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 624
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 625
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 614
OP
R

renegade44

ckj said:
Nice! How would you remove the fan though? Pocket knife?

Fingers could probably do it. Just grab on to the goop and rip it off. Or just apply enough force to the clip and pull. I checked using an old 80mm fan that I had ripped the gut out of first. It's not hard to remove at all

Of course if you really want to use a pocket knife you could...

OP
R

renegade44

This is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it becasue the solution still works for a problem that still exists.

And yes I just used the same 2 year old tube on my brand new TRU-120A. The biggest problem was that the nozzle was full of dried out gunk even though I stuffed a paperclip down the throat of the nozzle. Had to use the paperclip to dip out the gunk out of the tube.

Last edited:

SolidxSnake

Hell this stuff would probably be a good way to mount fans or pumps or whatever to reduce vibration. I have some elmer's rubber cement that is similar.

OP
R

renegade44

Hell this stuff would probably be a good way to mount fans or pumps or whatever to reduce vibration. I have some elmer's rubber cement that is similar.

This stuff is probably better than elmer's rubber cement as it come off relatively easy if you pull on it yet it will stay in place if you don't mess with it.

Last edited:

Technophobe

Well done.

The clips on my TRUE were a major pain to put on. Even worse (yes, worse) were the clips for the HR03 GT GPU cooler.

Has anyone tried using a hot glue gun for this sort of work? If you ever need to get it off, I think the hardened glue its much easier to remove than silicone.

OP
R

renegade44

Well done.

The clips on my TRUE were a major pain to put on. Even worse (yes, worse) were the clips for the HR03 GT GPU cooler.

Has anyone tried using a hot glue gun for this sort of work? If you ever need to get it off, I think the hardened glue its much easier to remove than silicone.

I just did a case swap yesterday (silverstone TJ-06 to the Rocketfish @bb for 47.99) and it is incredibly easy to remove

OP
R

renegade44

Sad news. Radio Shack no longer sells silicone rubber sealant. I was able to get some out of my old tube but finding a replacement "goop" that can accomplish the same thing would be nice.

Any one have any ideas? Preferably something that can be removed easily and can be found in a local store?

Kuroimaho

I also used silicone sealant to glue fans to the heatsinks just a bit under the middle of the fan under the motor and it's done, no airflow there anyway.

Spawne32

RTV sealant, aka form a gasket, im sure the auto parts store has other stuff as well.