• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SK-7 and Smart fan II.. wicked.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I have to say, I half expected to be running my volcano 9 for some time untill i decided to finally take the preverbial plunge into the water cooling scene early next year. Initially, my goals of water cooling were to create a water cooler acceptable to use with the faster xp's coming out in excess of 3000+ model numbers. Without the desire to volt mod my board all to hell, I think i have acheived the highest stable speed for my xp 1600+. However, The cpu running at 170 mhz fsb refuses to use more than 1.81 and 82 volts when running full load of prime95. This tells met hat i have succeeded slighting, if only that, at burning the cpu in a bit to use less voltage to flip. For those not knowing the term burn in, it is used to represent running the cpu at higher voltages for long periods of time to reduce the amount of voltage nessisary for the transistors to flip at a specified clock speed.

I was not trying to burn in , but this gives me hope to acheive higher speeds with the same 1.85 vcore setting by merely unlocking the cpu. I will likely be able to hit 1.9 ghz.

Today, I got paid at work and by a lucky twist of fate, I read todays for sale page at my local distributer. They were now stocking thermalright heat sinks, and for cheap. Memory express, a local to calgary distributer of wholesale merchandise sold me a sk 7 heat sink for $54 canadian. this is a great price and i already had a high performence fan at home, so what the hell.

I was tempted to get the sk6+ as it is cheaper, but designed only for a 6cm fan. not wanting to put up with smaller and whinier, i went with the model that would take 8cm. the sk 8 was $20 more but honestly, the difference was fairly minimal and i would be lucky to see 2º improvment. so i saved $20 and got the 7 model.

primed, i raced home. took it out of the box and just drooled at the workmenship of this thing. It is somewhat smaller than i first imagined though. From all the images and reviews, i was expecting a gargantuine thing. one that would rape my volcano in its beefy rip the zif socket right off the board beefieness. i was dissapointed there, but either way, this heat sink is supposed to rule. I got to work, dissasembling all my ****e. unplugging my 9 case fans and removing my ducted 2 8cm fan feed to the cpu.

This thing went on without a hitch. heavy though but i had some issues getting the fan locks into the PINNER holes. .. literally. without suppremly steady hands, you would have a hard time getting a pin through them. im an artist, what does that say about me :\.

anyway, I had to fix my Thermal take smart fan II first off so i could use the speed control. the fecking thing came right off and i had to whip out the duct tape to save the day. I run it at 4500 rpm right now case closed but when it was open, i was able to run 4000, and even 3500 rpm.

so now. the important guts of this post.

temps.

My xp 1600+ running a program i use to burn in called Burnk7, ran successfully for an hour with a maximum temp of 49ºC at 4000 rpm. at my fans maximum rpm of 5800, i acheive... drum roll... 43ºC under full load for an hour..,.... IMPRESSIVE.
My xp 1600 is running OC at 1.81 ghz at 1.85 vcore. It is possible that i can bump up my multi and still stay under my personal safety limit of 55ºC. 58 and even 60 is acceptable, but my machine gets choppy at 65. so i like a nice clean barrier of distance.

I have to say a lot of good about this sink. For $54 cdn ($39 us) it is a very good heat sink and with the ability to use 80 mm fans (90 if you are crafy with duct tape), this is a great cheap sink for use with higher end athlons. dont waste your money on a slk800. the difference is so moderate. I got to look one over carefully and really, the difference is its about 3 mm taller, has a smaller base (requireing a shim) and has holes through all the fins for fan mounting using shorter wire locks. the sk6+, is much smaller than this one but cools fairly well on a 2400+ with a really good 60mm.

I managed to get a inside look at a slk 800 with delta 80 mm fan on 2400+. that was stupid loud but ill bet she was really happy ;).

so what happened to my volc 9? simple. I raped my case for a fan and used it on that volc 9 sink. my roomate is using it on his stock xp 1800 right now not breaking 50º.

long story short. save the money. sk 7 heat sink is much better for the buck than the 800 model. the money you save can get you a better fan which is always nice. although i cannot really recommend the workmanship of the thermal take smart fan II... it moves lots of air and its building in 4 mode operation is great. mine is using the speed controll with 4500 rpm. the craft and noise concious user might use it with temp sensor, never breaking the limit for max rpm with this heat sink.

qwerty57

BANNED TROLL-Silversinksam
long story short. save the money. sk 7 heat sink is much better for the buck than the 800 model.

nice post but the slk-800 with a 60mm forceflow delta or a 80mm delta is the best air cooled (not counting the 462+ w/tec) heatsink period...Ive tried the sk-7 and it doesnt even hold par to the 800 or the new slk-700 :) .. trust me on the new small core t-bred's running at 2300-2500mhz on air the slk-800 can't be beat.. and for 44 dollars us..

jacheatamobits

umm... whats the max cfm for the 80mm delta? im asking cause the smart fan is 75.7, and the delta is around 40cfm, right?

wouldnt i get superior cooling with the said combo?

i was actualy thinking of using my volcano 9 for my video card, so as to not "waste my money" and hopefuly end up with temps under 40 LOAD :)

OP
Valk

Valk

Im not sure what the delta moves. its bloody loud though. I was temped to get a 60 mm for this but heh. incidently, the smart fan II is rated at 78.8 cfm at 4800 rpm. it can spin up to 5800 on 12 volts so it would be closer to 100 cfm. im running mine down at 3500 rpm right now getting 45ºC load with some modification. its a great fan, just dont tug on the wires too hard. my speed controller came right off and i had to re rig it.

qwerty57

BANNED TROLL-Silversinksam
valk, on older AXP's becasue they have a larger die core the 80mm fans a nd such are very good but becasue of the small die on the t-bred's the smaller 60mm fans get more air to the core of the heatsink, understand..

Pinky

Hey, good find. What are your case temps? Using an AX-7 and the same fan I achieve slightly better results with slightly less noise/fan speed at same voltage and almost identical cpu speed.

I'm at 32C case and 45C cpu under full load (for the last 24 hours).

AC Slater

I love my SK7. I've had it on my 1600+ for a week now and it has dropped my load cpu temps from 50~52 all the way down to 39~40C. Big improvement over my SVC GC68 Alluminum cooler.

OP
Valk

Valk

Case temps are the one problem im having. Its winter here right now so the heat is on inside. with my volcano 9, I had to make a duct so that i could close my case and still run 1.81ghz. this duct has 2 80 mm case fans feeding my tt cpu fan.

I honestly could not tell you what my case temp is right now but with the ducting, which sucks air from outside the case in the first palce, i idle at 36º and run max load of 45º. this is based on a test i ran this morning with my fan at 4500 rpm. not quite its max, but more tollerable. I ran the speed controll outside the case for easy tweaking. ambient temp in the HOUSE is 25ºC I expect my case to be slightly higher, dispite its air flow.

specific

qwerty57 said:
the smaller 60mm fans get more air to the core of the heatsink, understand..

That's not necessarily true. There is a dead zone under the center of all fans. More cfm leads to more turbulence, and better displacement in said dead zone.

If you use a "spacer" inbetween your fan and hs you can help reduce the dead zone as well as noise. I used a delta on a microfin and got the same results with a ttake @ 3k less rpm. So i gutted the delta, and used it's housing as a spacer.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1096025
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1096002

There are before and after pics.

When i switched to the sk-7, i made another mod, an exhaust duct from the hs to the back of the case.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1105787

Very effective in controlling case temps.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128529

There's a link to the thread if you want to see the progress. Please don't post there though, because it's an old thread.

Last edited: