• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SK6 showed up yesterday

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randy

Last night I lapped it applied ASII and installation was a breeze. The hardest part of the job was removing the clip on my ThermoEngine what a pain! I thought I was going to damage my chip but I got lucky and all is well. I know that the VIA hardware monitor is not a reliable way to measure temps but this is what I have been going by all along so with that being said I am enjoying an 8C drop in load temps and a 3 to 4C drop in idle temps. I am glad I bought this cooler
and the Delta 38 cfm fan is not bothersome at all in this Lian Li case . So for anyone considering this Heat sink I don't think you will be disapointed.
Randy

>I know that the VIA hardware monitor is not a reliable way to measure temps
> but this is what I have been going by all along so with that being said I am
> enjoying an 8C drop in load temps and a 3 to 4C drop in idle temps

What they say is that temperature reading is "compressed." In other words, the temp difference is really larger.
They also say that the Thermoengine gives abnormally low temperature readings, although they make no such claim for the SK6. If true, then the real temp has dropped still more than it seems.

Good to hear. Would you mind giving a link of the place you bought that from. Acutally, I'm ordering parts for my new comp right now (tbird 1.4, lian-li pc60), and the only thing I couldn't decide on was the hsf. If the volume of the sk6 isn't that bad, I think I may just pick it up.

Dafro, your in luck as far as noise reduction goes
I got my SK6 at http://www.1coolpc.com they just added a modified version of the Sk6 with a 80MM Sunnon 40cfm fan called the Mighty Machine(better performance yet quieter than the Delta 60MM) I just ordered the parts to convert mine even though I didnt mind the sound level of the Delta. Now I have the option of using 80MM fans. I wonder how much more the SK6 would benifit with the hot rod Delta 68cfm 80MM fan? Boy she would be loud !

Yes, they are loud, especially at full speed, but at lesser speeds, you still benefit from the de-spiralling vanes, yet the noise goes down to tolarable. Inside a closed case, they're even more tolerable. I have tried something like 8 or 9 different 80mm fans, in place of the Delta 80mm and though every one was quieter, none came close to the effectiveness of the Delta, including the Sanyo Denki 80x32mm.

Hoot

Back