• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright ultra 120 extreme for AM3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

Hi all,
I have recently bought some new kit: a 965 AM3 BE 3.4GHz cpu and a gigabyte UD5P Motherboard to replace my 939 socket opteron and foxconn mobo which blew. I would like some decent cooling. I used to use the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme on my 939 setup. It was the biggest POS I have ever bought. The mountings didnt work correctly for my 939 board. The bracket was the right size but the screws were not long enough and therefore I could only have one spring on one side so eventually over time it vibrated looser and temps creeped up. Technically the cooler did it's job, although the two 120mm fans made an irritating buzz because of the way they were mounted.

I'm debating to go water but I dont want to spend the money if I can help it.

What is a decent PROVEN (by you guys) air cooler out these days? I have a tower PC case, and would like to keep everything neat and quiet!

thanks in advance for ideas and thoughts :D

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
bang for you buck: Xigmatek s1283 or Sunbeam Core Contact freezer. Just make sure you get the right mounts with it if it doesnt come with.

muddocktor

Retired
I don't know how long ago you bought the TRUE, but it probably had the old design clip for mounting to AM2 boards. They have a newer design now that let's you mount the TRUE in any orientation on AM2+/AM3. I don't have a link to the mount for in the UK, but here's a link to it at Sidewinder Computers. As you can see, it replaces everything that comes stock onyour mobo's mount. As for the ringing of the fins with the fans, did you use the little plastic strips on the edges where the fan contacts the heatsink? I personally haven't used that new mount, but it should work well. And Thermalright has finally addressed their poor base finishes and now deliver a quality base with their new Rev. C TRUE models. And they spread the distance between the fins (and removed around 3 fins from the stack), improving performance with lower cfm fans.

For other choices, I would recommend the Megahalems and also the Venomous X heatsinks too. All these are high end, BTW, and won't be cheap. But they are all the class of the cooling filed, IMO. Another one to look at is the Noctua NH-D14, which is a huge monster. I personally don't have one of those so I can't personally attest to how well it works. But I do have all the others I mentioned.

OP
ppe1700

ppe1700

Thanks for the info here. May be that new mount design will resolve the vibrating loose issue I had. I did use the plastic stips but these were about 2mm wide and were pretty poor. I bought some Akasa super quiet 120mm fans and they only made this weird noise like a a 2-stroke scooter when they were strapped to the thermalright HS. (May be I'm the minority that had so many problems here)

I will probably go for the thermalright ultra 120 once again so I can try out the new design. It's the new motherboard mount that has convinced me, I think.
Looking at the suggested designs in this thread they all seem to be copying each other now anyways.

Do you know what is special about the 120 "black edition" ?

Thanks!