• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright Venomous X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ak118

Registered
Hey I just ordered this for my new system.
My U120E was very faithful to me, but when I heard of its successor was coming out thouht I'd give it a try

got mine here Thermalright Venomous X CPU Cooler
should get here by Weds

anybody else giving it a try? There isnt alot of reviews of it online.

hell_patrol

I read good reviews about the Venomus and my gaming PC needs a new heatsink. Are these the same people how give student discount????

OP
A

ak118

Registered
I read good reviews about the Venomus and my gaming PC needs a new heatsink. Are these the same people how give student discount????

no idea... but I just got it (will post up pics soon) in the box was a coupon to save 5% next time code is LOYALCUST

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
The mounting system is what I'm most interested about. No more do I need to use Duct Tape to increase the pressure on the CPU! That is an amazing cooler. It is making me think twice about going to water cooling...

ezcharlie

hehehe...
the heatsink itself most probably will be like the TRUE or Megahalems but the mounting is cool.
unfortunately it looks like it's for intel fans only for now,
but aside from being able to add mounting pressure,
you can also mount the sink horizontally or vertically :p
very cool indeed...

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
It's good to see TR fix what was a rotten mounting system for such a good HS as the TRUE.

Looks pretty good, but I'm happy with my Prolimatech, unless this one proves to be 5c better under load or something.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
You should write up a review about your thoughts and results for the frontpage. Send me your email address via PM if you'd be interested. :D

moocow

$70 for a heatsink is a bit much.
Too bad petras doesn't have them in stock since I have a 15% off coupon there =(

Im tempted to pick one up and do a comparison vs. the TRUE. It looks so sexy.

OP
A

ak118

Registered
$70 for a heatsink is a bit much.
Too bad petras doesn't have them in stock since I have a 15% off coupon there =(

Im tempted to pick one up and do a comparison vs. the TRUE. It looks so sexy.

They give you 10% back when you blog about or review something you bought from them. Just call them first, when I asked if my friend could get the same deal, he said sure but they are only doing this for the first 5 who inquire about the Venomous X

Rich'[ard]

looks only like an updated revision of the TRUE :shrug:
new heatpipe layout and new mounting system?

it's not enough to make it an upgrade for current TRUE owners, but if i was looking for a new heatsink i wouldn't hesitate trying out this new one over the TRUE :thup:

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
It looks to me like a TRUE with a better base and mounting mechanism. Atleast from what I could tell from a quick Google search from a cell phone. Of course, from this small of a screen, it's hard to tell how many heatpipes it has. I would think with the way the base of the TRUE was set up, that it would be hard to fit more than 6.

moocow

looks only like an updated revision of the TRUE :shrug:
new heatpipe layout and new mounting system?

it's not enough to make it an upgrade for current TRUE owners, but if i was looking for a new heatsink i wouldn't hesitate trying out this new one over the TRUE :thup:

Supposedly theres a 8*C drop in temps over a Copper TRUE but we'll see. I'll do a comparison review vs the TRUE when my venomous X gets here along with my i7.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Supposedly theres a 8*C drop in temps over a Copper TRUE but we'll see. I'll do a comparison review vs the TRUE when my venomous X gets here along with my i7.

:eek: If that's the case, then I'm gonna ditch my HDT-s1283...

Rich'[ard]

:eek: If that's the case, then I'm gonna ditch my HDT-s1283...
whoa! and the copper supposedly has a drop of 3-4c over the original TRUE?
so it should be a drop of at about 10c from normal TRUE owners? :eek:

it sure sounds temping. too bad heatsinks don't break...i can't thikn of any reason to justify the purchase of a Venomous X. :bang head:

muddocktor

Retired
I'm kind of skeptical about that much better performance over the original TRUE myself. But when one of the vendors I normally deal with get this heatsink in I guess I will buy it for testing myself. I just did some testing of the TRUE and Megahalems, so this would fit in with those tests too.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I'm kind of skeptical about that much better performance over the original TRUE myself. But when one of the vendors I normally deal with get this heatsink in I guess I will buy it for testing myself. I just did some testing of the TRUE and Megahalems, so this would fit in with those tests too.
I'm wondering if it is mainly the mounting system combined with a better machined base. I know that lapping a TRUE usually gave quite a bit of a drop in temperature. Add better pressure that you can set specifically for your setup and you can get some wickedly low temps.

OP
A

ak118

Registered
I'm wondering if it is mainly the mounting system combined with a better machined base. I know that lapping a TRUE usually gave quite a bit of a drop in temperature. Add better pressure that you can set specifically for your setup and you can get some wickedly low temps.

I finally had a chance to install, I am actually really happy with it. i got about 8-9 C improvment.
I typed up a review for overclockers.com, should show up on the home page soon.
Here are some pics for now

http://img704.imageshack.us/g/48621681.jpg/

muddocktor

Retired

From the pics in the links posted by ak118, it also looks like they did some changes to the whole body of the heatsink also; the shape of the fins is different from the Rev. C TRUE.

I finally had a chance to install, I am actually really happy with it. i got about 8-9 C improvment.
I typed up a review for overclockers.com, should show up on the home page soon.
Here are some pics for now

http://img704.imageshack.us/g/48621681.jpg/

Glad to hear you are getting some good results with it. Makes me want one for testing even more, so I can see how it performs compared to the Megahalems with various fans.