FRONTPAGE Thermaltake A30i Speed Edition Gaming Cube Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

With small form factor components becoming increasingly popular for desktop and gaming applications, the demand for cases to house these components is on the rise. It seems almost all case manufacturers now offer Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX cases of one kind or another. Today, we'll have a look at one of Thermaltake's newest offerings in this category - the A30i Speed Edition Gaming Cube. With support for Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX motherboards, full size power supplies, and long video cards, it certainly appears to have the features most enthusiasts would look for in a small form factor case.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Ivy

Thanks for review. always good to take a look at SFF machines because, just as you told, the popularity is increasing. Of course, there is drawbacks at cooling compared to bigger machines, but i think that SFF is doing a good job staying cool at such a size.

The design seems a bit spicy but definitely not out of this world, its simply the stuff most gamers may expect from a "good case".

So i think, the biggest MB able to be fitted is a mATX and there is actually many pretty solid offers especially from Asrock. As far as i can see a SLI/CF GPU solution is possible too, so the potential is huge. Prehaps OC is a bit to much to ask (for the GPU at least) but prehaps the cube is able to tackle a stock dual GPU setup without overheating, so the GFLOP/cm3 value is heavy. Although. as long as there is no volt increase, most GPUs may not produce much more heat, it all depends on how much clock a GPU is able to handle without the need of volt pumps, those are surely the most valuable SFF-GPUs.

Regarding the CPU and its cooler of 90 mm max hight: I dont think this is a problem because a gamer wont need a CPU with more than 4 cores and even at 4 GHz a Intel CPU is able to be cooled sufficiently even at max load, all it takes is a good aftermarket 90 mm cooler i assume. There is truly no need for a Intel CPU with more than 4 Ghz clock, most games wont even use half of the CPUs capability (in term we run a game at 60 FPS). The limiting factor is still the GPU and that issue will stay the same even when looking into far future terms.

Guess... my next gaming rig could be pretty equal to that one. So far i was using Shuttle SFF because in the past there wasnt many good foreign offers rearding solid and still powerful SFF PCs. But since the SFF are becoming more and more popular, there is way more offers than ever before, so finally i have many good choices and that im truly glad for. So just as i said, as soon as i build my next generations overhaul of my gaming rig, i surely may build a comparable build and prehaps many other people may find joy the same way such as i do.

Last edited:

Mag10

By the looks this is extremely similar to the Lanbox Lite, only negative I had with the Lanbox was lack of cable management which by the looks of it the A30i has also. The HDD cage is shifted to the right side and the top is extended other than that and the aesthetics the A30i is exactly the same as the Lanbox. I will note that the modular design was quite handy!

@Ivy: If you prefer a neat looking case for cable management, I can not recommend this particular case. As it would be quite difficult to stuff anywhere where you cant see it other than that It will make an excellent build!

Ivy

To be honest, almost every SFF got a cable management issue to a certain extend because there is simply very few room in order to hide them but i guess thats one of many challenges a SFF builder have to overcome. It may never be perfect but there is always some improvements possible. A powerful SFF in my eyes is the most challenging system to build, and its the challenge a true builder would be looking for. I always try to take modular cables because the lesser cables the better. Inside bigger systems its not critical at all but small systems can be stuffed way to much when to much cables, every single cable im able to spare is a improvement. Clearly, the thing most time consuming is the act of trying to set the cables in the best way possible but it have to be expected, nothing comes for free.

At the first stage, i usualy only set the modules i want to use and wont pay attention to the cables at all. Then i will setup the PC and check out if everything works fine. As soon as the PC was passing the functional testing, then there comes the step of "cable management" as the final step. Because that matter cant be made retroprogressive any easy, i will have to use many removable cable holders at countless spots. So its some big work and i cant just remove any cables the "easy way", as soon as that step has been done.

Last edited:

Mag10

Yes, this is very true with some better than others. As for a powerful SFF the A30 series will probably fit the largest of GPUs. I know it fit my 260mm GPU with no issues. the only problem I has was the CPU cooler height, was limited to around 130mm clearance or so.