• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Core X9, Corsair Air 540, or Phanteks Enthoo Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Wasup guys, I was wondering what would be a better case to configure for optimum air cooling in order to keep my new Devil 13 290x2 cooler. The Thermaltake Core X9, Corsair Air 540, or Phanteks Enthoo Pro?

I currently own the Phanteks Enthoo Pro and was not sure if is better to just upgrade all the fans on the case with high flow air fans or just get a new case move my fans over?

Thanks! Here is my current setup on the picture below.

900x900px-LL-816c7161_IMG_20160124_153420757.jpeg

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Those are uhh, completely different types of cases as far as size goes, LOL! One an absolutely monstrosity cube (X9), the other a mid tower cube (540), and then a mid tower case, LOL!

That said, I loved my Air 540. Plenty of air in, plenty of air out. I used one with a 295x2 (under water). I have hte X9, but, if you are nto going to stuff it with rads and such, it has little benefits over something that isn't a lot smaller. Wire management isn't as easy due to the length of runs they have to make...

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

Those are uhh, completely different types of cases as far as size goes, LOL! One an absolutely monstrosity cube (X9), the other a mid tower cube (540), and then a mid tower case, LOL!

That said, I loved my Air 540. Plenty of air in, plenty of air out. I used one with a 295x2 (under water). I have hte X9, but, if you are nto going to stuff it with rads and such, it has little benefits over something that isn't a lot smaller. Wire management isn't as easy due to the length of runs they have to make...

-Update- "I modified my comment below."

I see, my Phanteks Enthoo Pro tower is a full tower at least the one I own. However; I use to own the Air 540 and was pretty good at keeping things pretty cool. I have two friends that run dual CF 270X & 290X cards and seems to do okay however; I am not sure if it will keep things cool more than a larger case like the X9 that will have more fan capability.

Is why i was looking at the X9 to see if is a better option for me or getting back the Corsair Air 540 or maybe fixing my Enthoo pro to move more air. I can see what you mean about the X9 cabling. I don't plan to do water or radiators anytime soon so if is a waste then I guess that is not the case for me. I was also thinking due to the weight of this card that maybe have a flat motherboard sitting horizontal might not be a bad idea for this kind of card and cooler.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Size doesn't matter, LOL, so long as you have good airflow. The two intakes on the 540 and the top 3 + 1 rear exhausting is fine. Again, I had one in there (but there were radiators up front).

Is your current case not working? I don't understand this line of questioning if the thing isn;t in your machine yet............ or??????????? :)

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

My enthoo pro is my case, however, not sure if the design is more for people with radiators versus full air cooling. Meaning, I find it that it benefit water cooling people versus air cooling. Now i see the Corsair 540 benefit air cooling because of the direct path it has for the CPU and GPU cooling. However; I am not to sure on the X9 which I was looking into and trying to compare the three. Would the Phanteks Enthoo Pro do better with higher air flow fans? or is it a much cheaper solution to grab a 540 or X9 for that matter?

I ran some test on my case it seems as soon I remove the side panel temps were drooping from like 89C to 82C in seconds on that GPU so it makes me think it is lacking more air flow. Now i can't add more fans because I ran out of ports to run fans on the motherboard which i need a fan controller to continue testing. I did get a fan profile made and arrange the fans which did help but I feel this GPU is hungry for more air flow and cooler air for that matter. My room temps stay withing 68F-to-73F which should be a good range to keep that case cooler. I did server setups pushing more air in, pushing more air out but didn't see much benefit than the current setup I have right now. I still feel I need more air in the case.

Pretty much my friend I am trying to figure out the best cheapest route to take to help with air flow and cooling of this graphic card. Any mods or idea that I can use this case enthoo pro, but if this case is not worth putting the money and time modding it. Then I would be happier to buy the proper case. I never own this kind of graphic card so I am asking for help. XD

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Would the Phanteks Enthoo Pro do better with higher air flow fans? or is it a much cheaper solution to grab a 540 or X9 for that matter?
i'm not sure on that. Clearly it would depend on what fans you used, etc. But I would imagine it would be cheaper to get new fans than an entirely new case.

front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

That 295x2, the curious purchase it was, is a 500W ALL BY ITSELF. They run HOT no matter what honestly. If I was you, I would grab the air 540, but you will likely be fine with better fans.

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

i'm not sure on that. Clearly it would depend on what fans you used, etc. But I would imagine it would be cheaper to get new fans than an entirely new case.

front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

That 295x2, the curious purchase it was, is a 500W ALL BY ITSELF. They run HOT no matter what honestly. If I was you, I would grab the air 540, but you will likely be fine with better fans.

I got this card at a good price, and I wanted to have CF and since I can't SLI/CF having two cards due to my CPU cooler. I have decided to go ahead and get this card instead. It runs great and I have no issues running it except I feel it needs more air flow on the case.

Honestly I been thinking of getting the black 540 Air as I like the design of how it cools things out. The X9 looks interesting but not sure if is worth getting it for what I am trying to do. I do miss that cube feel and I feel that my case 200mm fan air gets broken when moving in my case due to the HDD cage inside there. I could be wrong, but yes if I sell my case and grab the Air 540 might not be a bad idea. My other worry is the eight of the CPU and the GPU now on that motherboard. Do you think i will be fine having it vertical overtime?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
As I said, I had one in there. The stock cooler is no higher than the PCB so it is fine height wise.

As far as the height of your CPU cooler, look at the Corsair site. The specs show how much clearance you have.

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

As I said, I had one in there. The stock cooler is no higher than the PCB so it is fine height wise.

As far as the height of your CPU cooler, look at the Corsair site. The specs show how much clearance you have.

I use to have a Noctua NH-D14 on that case so if is close to that my cooler should be fine and at the worse case I still have my NH-D15 cooler. I know the Dark Rock Pro 3 is a bit higher than the Noctua.

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

I just came across a post with some optimizing setups that I may do for better air flow on my case.

– Front: 2x140mm intake
– Top: 200mm exhaust
– Rear: 140mm exhaust
– Bottom: 120mm intake

Or

– Front: 2x140mm intake
– Top: 200mm instake

Or

– Front: 2x120mm intake
– Top: 200mm exhaust

Evil-Mobo

Good choice, I had ordered an X9 myself but sent it back, had no need for a wall mounted A/C unit in my office lol...... :)

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

Good choice, I had ordered an X9 myself but sent it back, had no need for a wall mounted A/C unit in my office lol...... :)

Damn is that big? lol

So Is it me or is my Devil 13 like to run in the 94C temp range? I have the following setups currently for testing. test I am using is heaven didn't post a result yet for anyone to see yet. Just trying to get temperatures under control first as I play BattleField 4 temps do go up to 94C and stay there.

2x120mm top fan intake
1x120mm top rear fan exhaust
1x120mm button fan intake
1x140mm rate fan exhaust
1x200mm front fan intake
2x120mm internal support fans to help move more air from the 200mm.

Lol a lot of fans not sure if this case doing justice all I know the two inner fans have 74.x cfm @ 2k ram.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
You have all those fans, and no air movement. Keep it simple like so:

front/bottom = intakes
Top/rear = exhaust

Why do you have 2x120mm fan on top as intakes? Flip them around so they're exhaust. Heat rises and those 2x120mm fans are keeping that hot air inside. All you're doing is creating a heat tornado inside the case.

I have a Phanteks Primo and I have a ton of fans. My GPU is air cooled so I have my fans like so:

2x140mm fans front intakes
2x140mm fans bottom intakes
2x140mm fans rear ( one 140mm right below my gpu to move air towards it and up away from it. 2nd 140mm exhaust up near the rear I/O panel)
6x120mm fans push/pull on my rad top

My gpu temps @ idle are 30c and while heavy gaming are 55c if that. :D

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust. In my x9 I have a fan suspended just behind the 5.25" bays to help move air towards the back so it can be removed up top/out the back giving airflow right around both sides of the gpu.

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

The idea was the resupply the cpu with cooler air fron the two front fans.

Here is a quick drawing of how they are laid out. Not the best drawing did this fast I am at work dealing with some codes.
FAN Layout.jpg

OP
ITAngel

ITAngel

My other though was to set something up like this here.

Drawing 002.jpg

One thing I did learn last night is that the GPU is pushing that hot air to the top of the GPU, making the hot air hit the side panel and sucking it back in which will keep temps high on that GPU. One of the reasons I was considering a case with a horizontal motherboard layout would be to have a top fan that will suck the hot air up away from the GPU whole providing fresh air from the side to the card. I don't want to do this but almost feeling like I should mod that side panel on my case to take away that hot air directly from the card. XD I would be happier to just buy a case that can do that anyways.

At the worse case I can mod my case to be like this case here.

500x1000px-LL-3d666a34_900x900px-LL-1eb5e88b_imageview.jpeg

However jokes aside this case looks like what i am looking for.
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box-haf-series/haf-xb-evo/

Last edited:

gkline

I have the TT Core X9 case and yes it is big BUT perfect for what I want. Sounds like you want a more compact solution.