• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Pacific W8 W9 cpu waterblocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

Anyone have any experience or opinions on the Thermaltake Pacific W8 W9 cpu waterblocks? I haven't been able to find much info on these, just some random commentary, and no testing data, etc.

Thanks,

K

I wasn't testing them, but the design is similar to what most other brands sell nowadays, and I would expect +/-2°C compared to some other popular options.
Thermaltake is more of a budget brand for custom water cooling, and they more often send whole kits for reviews than single blocks. I'm not saying that their products are bad; it's just that those who invest a lot into a custom loop tend to pick other brands.

Thanks Woomack. I may give one of these a try. Found comparison data on other waterblocks, quite surprised at how little temp spread there is on current mainstream blocks. Found an interesting comparison that included 2 EK blocks (among a few others) with a notable price gap, and there was no notable temp difference on their test rig.

A friend has offered to give me a Bykski v2 cpu waterblock, but I don't know much about their products beyond the GPU stuff.

Now if AMD would just release their new cpu's, I could get on with my decisions on the rest of the stuff I need, lol.

K

The latest Alphacool blocks are slightly better than EK stuff and cheaper. I mean all Core 1 blocks.

I was just looking at the Core 1 line, very nice design, and price point. At least there are decent/reasonable options these days. Decisions....

The good part is, most of these are so close performance-wise, what matters is appearance and price.

Raidmax PSU in your sig.............wowzas! Surprised you don't have an insurance claim in for a house fire... :p

Raidmax PSU in your sig.............wowzas! Surprised you don't have an insurance claim in for a house fire... :p
lol... I know, right?

I bought it from Fry's when an old psu died, and I was in a bind and needed something fast. The psu is now, I think, 8 or 9 years old. It's been completely solid, stable voltage still despite uncountable hours running the system at full tilt for video transcoding, not to mention all the gaming hours.

I never expected it to last, but it's proven me wrong so far :D

I picked up the Thermaltake W8 (this is the all metal model). Overall the machine work is pretty good. You can see the end-mill surfacing on various parts, but the thing is straight as an arrow. It weighs quite a bit, it is SOLID, and quite sturdy. I'm impressed at the micro-machining for the fins, it is nicely done. The .2mm fin setup gives it a pretty good density and surface area. Heres a few pics....

K

Attachments

• w8_1.jpg
    w8_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 14
  • w8_2.jpg
    w8_2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 13
  • w8_3.jpg
    w8_3.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 12
  • w8_4.jpg
    w8_4.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 12
It looks pretty good. Many brands have similar cold plate designs nowadays, so you may wonder why there is a +/- 200% difference in the price. That's why I said there is a +/-2°C difference because of the block. It depends more on the CPU used and whether the base is flat or if the CPU's IHS is deformed. Then, you can count on an additional +/-3°C difference. Yesterday, the new Noctua cooler was released, and it's available with 3 different bases, depending on the CPU and IHS deformation (it's only about Intel CPUs). This is quite interesting as no other brand has adjusted its cooler line depending on what IHS is in use. This is also a problem mentioned on the web, but no one has released any product to solve this issue besides socket frames for new Intel CPUs. Again, there are no problems with AMD sockets and CPUs, so I wonder how Intel designs their CPUs when each generation has almost the same problem.

Back