• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake peltier newbie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hello everyone,

First of all, my apologies if this topic appears in another thread somewhere, I didn't really get a chance to look.

My question: Basically, how well do these Thermaltake Peltier coolers perform? I believe it is called the Sub Zero. It is cheaper than water cooling, and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them. It looks quite intriguing! :) Anyway, are they good for overclocking? Thanks for the help!

-Collin-

gusgizmo

Disabled
From what I've heard, Peltiers coupled with HSF's are not a very good choice for anything that puts out much heat at all. I would stay away. Far away.

Zerileous

Juice2 said:

There's only one way to find out...go get one and post the results here.

well, we could do that but, while i am no expert, the physics of a peltier lead it to perform poorly on air. This would be because somehow (i dont know how they actually work) there is a hot side and a cold side, the hot side has some sort of limit to how hot it can be, and the hot side absorbs heat from the cold side. In a typical pelt setup, the cold side is in contact with the CPU while the hotside is in contact with a waterblock. The Pelt can only absorb heat as long as there is room for the heat to be absorbed. So an air heatsink will, naturally, not absorb enough heat from the hot side to allow heat to be transfered. This leads me to belive this is yet another "gimicky" solution from thermaltake. They are known for flashy ideas that dont work, or dont work well.

gusgizmo

Disabled
the deal is that HSF's just cant remove the kind of heat that peltiers put out. for a decent setup its like 250watts. which is alot. this is 2-3x times as much as just a processor.

cstarritt

well, an hsf can remove that kind of heat load, just not that hsf. the ones that do it reasonably well are big monsters with a screaming fan on the top of it.

as for that thermaltake, in the reviews ive seen it gives temps that are worse than you can get with a slk-900 and a fast fan. it doesnt even come close to touching watercooling. its advantage is it gives decent temps with low noise, but the performance is still not as good as a thermalright with a noisey fan on it.

if you can spend the extra $$$ id just go with water cooling. if not buy a thermalright and a fan, and save the rest for watercooling down the road.