• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ for P4 (+cooling advice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d_tan

I've read alecelas post about possible solutions for mounting the P4 heatink, but does it actually work? Does removing them have any effect?

I've got the 4SDA+, and before wasting money, i kinda need to decide between that and the new Alpha 8542. I want a quiet HSF, and the Volcano at low speed seems pretty good, although the Alpha with a quiet fan might not be too bad.

Suggestions anyone?

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
Go with the Alpha, or you can go with the Swiftech and do what I am concidering. I dont want a 53DB fan in my system. Plycon.com sales a 80 to 120mm adapter, and I am thinking about getting a 90CFM 120mm fan that puts out 35DB's. Thats a whole lot better than 53DB's. You might want to check into it. But dont get the Volcano 7+ as of yet. I am in comunications with Thermaltake right now about a solution.

Also it uses a 70mm fan, and its loud. If something happens to it you have to find another 70mm fan, and thats hard to do. Go with the Alpha or the Swiftech though.

OP
D

d_tan

well im looking for ultra efficient cooling - no other part on my rig is going to be over 24dBa, and i dont want this to be either.... will 26cfm be enough, or should i get a 120-80mm adaptor and stick a paspt 53cfm on top?

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
The Alpha performs very well at lower CFM's havnt seen it really low but if you want quiet its the way to go..

OP
D

d_tan

quite a tough choice. the alpha isnt cheap, and neither is an adaptor+papst to go on top..