• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thicker then 1/2 inch tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tokayla

Registered
i wanna split a 1inch tube into two 1/2 inch tubes for cooling on differnt parts of the computer ie chipset + cpu & gpu + hd

is it worthwile using 1 inch tubing if i can find it or shall i just stick with a y conecter using 1/2 on both ends?

and ill be using a massive radiator

Rakk

I'd say use 1/2" and split off with a Y to 1/4" or 3/8" for your 2 routes. I've never heard of anyone using 1" tubing before but I guess your reasoning behind wanting it is because you rad outlets are 1"?

Which radiator are you using? I'm interested to hear about massive radiators as i'm doing a new build myself which has unlimited space and am thinking about using a huuuge rad in order to get zero fan, passive cooling :)

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
My plan is to use a 1/2" feeder line, and branch into two 3/8" lines. I'm still going to use all 1/2" hose barbs thoughout, because they have a 3/8" inner diameter, they won't restrict flow from the 3/8" tubing.

Iron Hawk

Actually, the cross section of a 1" tube is much greater than the cross section of two 1/2" tubes.

(pi)(.5)^2 = .785
.785x2 = 1.57 <--Total cross section of two 1/2" tubes

To find a single tube that has that cross section:

1.57/(pi) = .5
(.5)^(1/2) = .7071

If you wanted to do this, 3/4 inch tubing should be all the bigger you need your larger tubing. Hence, 0.75>0.71.

My next water system is going to have two loops, One loop will be dedicated to the CPU, and will Use 3/4" tubing. The other loop will be for the chipset, GPU, and heatercores.

Good luck,

Greg Z

OP
Tokayla

Tokayla

Registered
Rakk said:
Which radiator are you using? I'm interested to hear about massive radiators as i'm doing a new build myself which has unlimited space and am thinking about using a huuuge rad in order to get zero fan, passive cooling :)

ill be using the biggest dammed car radiator i can find second hand so i expect it to be running of some funny sized cables :D, oh and probably multi in's and out lets..

Rakk

Oh & Tokayla, let use know what radiator you get & how well it works - which pump are you planning to use?

OP
Tokayla

Tokayla

Registered
the heimen 1250 is that powerful enough for a car radiator?! i just read some radiators need 40-50 psi just for water to escape the radiator!