• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Things to note when assembling a water cooler & miscellaneous things to note of.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the blue coming off the pipes is the copper...acid rather quickly ionizes and dissolves copper into the water.

Thanks mate
i did use the water, should i use distilled water or what liquid should i use now?
the water is clear so far from the single rad

I use distilled water exclusively for cleaning. Boil some, let it sit a bit, then clean with it (makes it so the ends of the rad don't get so hot lol). I change water every time I dump it out (2-5 times)...other than that, not much to it.

thanks mate, well i just boiled some more water now and it still looks greenish inside the single rad, and still yellow and junk coming out. if i look inside there is still green oxidation inside, i am worry to use this rad now.
should i use more vinegar and leave it over night?
thanks

Quit using vinegar! Get some scrubbing bubbles, some CLR etc.

You'll never get the green off completely.

Hot water, scrubbing bubbles or other stuff, 40-50 fills with hot water, 2-3 minutes shaking each time. When the water is clean in a glass bowl with no stuff, it's good. Chunks WILL clog the CPU block

thanks mate, what is scrubbing bubbles and CLR? sorry not familiar with these terms and products.
40 -50 fills i can imagine yes, at least ;) lets give it a try tonight / tomorrow.
A pc of metal came also out of the tubing lol
thanks

thanks mate, what is scrubbing bubbles and CLR? sorry not familiar with these terms and products.
40 -50 fills i can imagine yes, at least ;) lets give it a try tonight / tomorrow.
A pc of metal came also out of the tubing lol
thanks

I'm not sure of which Scrubbing Bubbles product he's referring to, but CLR is this product. The MSDS sheet on it shows it contains 15-20% Lactic Acid and 2-4% Gluconic Acid. I don't know how these relate to vinegar (Acetic Acid) and reactions with copper.

thanks muddocktor, i'm rinsing it since over night at the hot water tab with low pressure and it is almost clear now, still another day or so but i have to be very certain that there is nothing coming out anymore. thanks for the link, might get something similar here if needs arises.
Cheers, thanks for the help to all!

A great addition. How does this compare to the sticky and is their a way we can utilize the benefits of this to improve the current sticky?

Years ago, we had little to no information about this. The Rad Dance was unwritten and unknown to Me.

Quit using vinegar!
Whats wrong wit using vinegar for rads?
As rad are usually really dirty, filled with sh** like solder flux and so on.

I have bin using vinegar for the last 15y to first time clean of my rad's, noting works really better imho.

I even tried more or less the way subscribed, to compare.

Used a 5L can of distilled water, drilled 2 holes in the cap for the hoses, borrowed a 0.5 micron water filter from work, set the rad in a pan filled with +/- 80c water and let the pump run overnight.

And yes a lot of sh** was sitting in the filter.

Drained rad back in the can, removed the water, filled the rad with cleaning vinegar plus some degreaser, set the rad back in a pan filled with +/- 80c water, and let it stand for 1 hour.

Drained the vinegar from the rad, true a coffee filter, back in the bottle, and again sh** was getting out.

Filled the rad 3x with distilled water to get the most vinegar out, and then after cleaning the filter, i did the same thing as the first time, and i let the pump run but for only 1 hours instead of overnight, and again i found some particles in the filter.

I think i will just keep on using vinegar to clean my rads, but properly everyone dose it the way he likes/think is best.

Whats wrong wit using vinegar for rads?
As rad are usually really dirty, filled with sh** like solder flux and so on.

I have bin using vinegar for the last 15y to first time clean of my rad's, noting works really better imho.

I even tried more or less the way subscribed, to compare.

Used a 5L can of distilled water, drilled 2 holes in the cap for the hoses, borrowed a 0.5 micron water filter from work, set the rad in a pan filled with +/- 80c water and let the pump run overnight.

And yes a lot of sh** was sitting in the filter.

Drained rad back in the can, removed the water, filled the rad with cleaning vinegar plus some degreaser, set the rad back in a pan filled with +/- 80c water, and let it stand for 1 hour.

Drained the vinegar from the rad, true a coffee filter, back in the bottle, and again sh** was getting out.

Filled the rad 3x with distilled water to get the most vinegar out, and then after cleaning the filter, i did the same thing as the first time, and i let the pump run but for only 1 hours instead of overnight, and again i found some particles in the filter.

I think i will just keep on using vinegar to clean my rads, but properly everyone dose it the way he likes/think is best.

Good for you, don't know what your point is then. Don't know how many times you have read about people overdoing it and having blue water or it isn't needed anymore due to less flux, it's water based now.

Sounds more like you just cleaed the rad enough times and got it out, no matter, the pump, fliter and all that stuff.

It's easier to do the rad dance and more fun.

Whatever works for you, it's your stuff.

Back