• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think I Can Get Away with This?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apu318

Disabled
Welland: Most drug use per capita in Canada.
Ok. So I always overclock my computer to 2ghz with my Athlon XP 1800+. The normal ways I do it are either 134mhz fsb with a 15 multiplier, or I will do 167mhz fsb with a 12 multiplier. I like the 167mhz fsb better because more data is getting to the cpu quicker. The problem with that one is my motherboard, asus a7v8x-x puts the memory clock down to around 333mhz because it doesnt want the memory overclocking that high. My ram is 400mhz default btw. So as you can see I dont wanna underclock my ram. The way around this i found is putting it to a 200mhz fsb and a 10x multiplier. I did it once before and it ram stable for a bit and then crashed. when i tried to restart my registry was corrupt. thanks to the windows recovery console i was able to scandisk and repair, then boot again ( :clap: ). So.. i was gunna try using a 9x or 9.5x multiplier. This is all at 1.81V core btw. My question to you all is, will my cpy be able to handle the higher fsb but at a lower clock with the same voltage? id like to hear from you guys before I do anything.

P.s. I backed up my registry this time.

Thanks

Fever

Chances are you will not be able to run at 200Mhz fsb... Your motherboard is based on a VIA chipset, and does not have a PCI or AGP slot.

Try 182 x 11, see if that works for you.

Timmybighands

The problem you have is that the Via based chipset you have is taking your agp/pci clocks too far out of spec. Your HDD is running on a 33mhz frequency and can handle anywhere up to (around) 36-38 without any problems. Here's the thing - It does not matter what multiplier you use - if you set your fsb to 200 you will corrupt your registry again. Your AGP/PCI clocks are run on a ratio based on the FSB of your processor - the boards chipset will use a divider when you hit each 33/66mhz increment up to 166mhz fsb. Basically, I think that the 1/6 divider does not work on that board and instead of using that it just pushes the AGP/PCI way out of range. It's been too long since I've messed with one but I think i remember correctly. Read up on it a little before you start poking around... I'd hate to see you smoke your HDD.

Col_Loki

Even though your memory is rated for 200mhz FSB ie Pc3200(ddr400) it will only run as fast as the FSB is set.

Ie if your running an FSB of 133mhz then the Memory will perform the same as Pc2100 (DDR266) stuff. There is a silly FSB:RAM divider on some boards that makes you think it will give your memory more performance but TBH it doesent.

Try SiSandra Memory Bandwidth to see what i mean......... (its different on intel boards btw).

OP
apu318

apu318

Disabled
Alright. Thanks for the posts.. I see what you all mean. I would normally buy a new board (if the nForce 2 chipset doesnt do this) but I'm going to be upgrading to an athlon 64 3200+ in a few weeks so theres no point really. I understand what the 133/33, 134/34 ect means on the other side of the slash in the fsb setting now. That would be the AGP and PCI frequency. I did have it running at a 200mhz fsb.. but it failed within a few minutes. I wont be overclocking too much anymore as I've also discovered that this board has pretty ad voltage problems. The higher i put my vcore, the more my voltages in Asus smart doctor fluctuate. Infact its so bad I can't play and 3d game at all because it will crash within a few minutes. My next motherboard wont be an Asus and it definately wont be a Via chipset.

Timmybighands

apu318, sounds like you may need a more sturdy power supply if your voltages are jumpy when you overclock... it'd probly help you some with your stability too. I bet that little 1800 will do the 200fsb with the right board and psu... I think for the most part it's only the divider issue holding you back.

OP
apu318

apu318

Disabled
I watched everything closely and I cant go above 33mhz for my pci/agp/hard drive frequency. it just crash's. it might be the powersupply.. its a 400watt psu. I do have alot of lighting crap on here. Im happy with 167 right now. Thanks for your help everyone.

RJARRRPCGP

Also, be aware that other files can get corrupted too, not just the registry, thus
you were lucky. There's also a chance that you're going to be required to go to Device Manager, remove the primary IDE controller entry and reboot to force Windows to reinitialize the IDE driver to get UDMA working again. Windows may have automatically disabled UDMA for the HDD and refused to let you use UDMA
if you have a FSB problem.